REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
School me on Fuel lines and fittings.

Hey, hoping a few people on here have some ideas on fuel lines and the many ways you can go about it.

I'm going to have to run some new fuel lines on my 240z here in the next year or so before I run my megasquirt. While the engine is coming out in a month or two I may as well run the new lines as it's just way easier.

I'm going to run a 5/16" or 3/8" supply and return line. I will use aluminum. Some same stay away, but it's used in aircraft. If airplanes use it, it's good enough for me.

I have a fancy eastwood 45 degree flare tool for brake lines, I am able to buy a 37 degree flare too for AN flares if need be.

I also see russel makes some sort of compression fitting when you just seem to slide it on the end of a bare line, and the fitting some how makes a seal for an AN adaptor. (I should note, it will be a 40-60psi system).

There is also the option of running EFI rated rubber hoses in between the hard lines. Would a normal double flare be ok to hold the efi clamp on?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I need to hang out with more hot rod folk. Ha.
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Don't use compression fittings. Flare them properly and use the right stuff.

As for what material, I'd just shell out for stainless steel braided, but if you aren't willing to do that, then just use Steel, it's better for a street car than aluminum.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #3

Honestly. I hate the look of stainless braided. I think it looks cheap and half assed. A nice straight set of hard lines just has sex written all over it. I guess my best bet is to buy the 37 degree flare, and use the braided where required.

Those are the only options huh? compression fittings and your standard flare nuts?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I wouldn't run stainless braided again. Aeroquip pushlock hose is my preferred method for simplicity and stealth look. Swagelok stainless tubing/fittings would be my choice for something a little more flashy/hard lines. It can withstand 1000+ psi, industrial grade, it's what most oil lines are made of on multi million dollar turbines that run 24/7/365.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
I wouldn't run stainless braided again. Aeroquip pushlock hose is my preferred method for simplicity and stealth look. Swagelok stainless tubing/fittings would be my choice for something a little more flashy/hard lines. It can withstand 1000+ psi, industrial grade, it's what most oil lines are made of on multi million dollar turbines that run 24/7/365.
Swagelok is just a brand. It's like saying Victaulic when talking about grooved piping systems, or kleenex instead of tissue paper.

With that said, the double ferrule fittings they make are good stuff, but from the course I have taken on them, they wouldn't be approved for a system such as this, and also expensive.

For record the 1000+ PSI systems you are referring to use pipe, not tubing, completely different in terms of wall thickness. In an industrial application, especially one meeting boiler codes, or API codes, tubing is only for instrumentation. Take my word, I am currently working on a steam turbine installation.

With that said OP should be using tubing for fuel lines, not pipe. Pipe would be impossible to work with.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure 1000+ psi can handled with tube. Aircraft braking systems are upwards of 3000psi, and use aluminum tubing. I don't have too much knowledge in the area, but braking system in a car I'm sure are upwards of 1000psi and use the same tubing and same fittings (although a 45 degree flare).

I have no technical knowledge besides the fact I know what pressure large aircraft brake systems operate at, and the tubing which runs down the landing gear (although your right I don't know the thickness, but from the bends, it can't be that thick).

I couldn't be completely wrong though. I'm certainly not an engineer... And I am the one looking for advice haha.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 03-07-2016 at 09:19 PM.
hud 91gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Swagelok is just a brand. It's like saying Victaulic when talking about grooved piping systems, or kleenex instead of tissue paper.

With that said, the double ferrule fittings they make are good stuff, but from the course I have taken on them, they wouldn't be approved for a system such as this, and also expensive.

For record the 1000+ PSI systems you are referring to use pipe, not tubing, completely different in terms of wall thickness. In an industrial application, especially one meeting boiler codes, or API codes, tubing is only for instrumentation. Take my word, I am currently working on a steam turbine installation.

With that said OP should be using tubing for fuel lines, not pipe. Pipe would be impossible to work with.
Looks like I'm decommissioning 5 gas turbines at work tomorrow right before I tear up my steam tickets.

Sorry hud91gt looks like your 1971 Datsun must now meet pressure vessel code. I have no choice but to report you to the safety authority if you are unable to comply. I also took a course on driving and you are not approved to exceed the speed limit so you might as well return the car to stock manufacturer specifications.

Take my word
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: