REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Vancouver Island motorsport circuit track opening next month (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707969-vancouver-island-motorsport-circuit-track-opening-next-month.html)

Harvey Specter 03-07-2016 07:12 PM

Vancouver Island motorsport circuit track opening next month

Got an invite from Audi to test drive the new R8 at this new track on Vancouver Island next month. Didn't even know about it, looks pretty awesome and great news for local enthusiast.

More info here;

The Circuit | Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit

GabAlmighty 03-07-2016 07:21 PM

http://www.revscene.net/forums/69788...ml#post8616025

Jmac 03-07-2016 07:33 PM

It's been posted in this section and the Vancouver Island section many times over the past year.

TouringTeg 03-07-2016 07:49 PM

I was at Alfa Victoria (owned by GAIN) last week and a salesman said annual membership fee is $50k

You should jump at the opportunity to drive on this new track.

My father in law has a house 5 mins away with a triple garage. I am trying to convince him to provide car storage

Digitalis 03-08-2016 01:20 PM

Sure it's not just a one time initiation with much lower annual costs?
I'm prefering area 27 just cuz no fricken ferry ride and they want 40k and 3-5k per year and it's almost double the size of the island track.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TouringTeg (Post 8735165)
I was at Alfa Victoria (owned by GAIN) last week and a salesman said annual membership fee is $50k

You should jump at the opportunity to drive on this new track.

My father in law has a house 5 mins away with a triple garage. I am trying to convince him to provide car storage

Mr.Money 03-08-2016 02:58 PM

i wonder how many millions they invested why there asking fee is $50k....it's not even including race track fuel,what they didnt announce they had or even how many km the entire track is.

Great68 03-08-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8735157)
It's been posted in this section and the Vancouver Island section many times over the past year.

It's been pretty much the ONLY thing that's been posted in the Vancouver Island section in the past year :p

trollguy 03-08-2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8735451)
i wonder how many millions they invested why there asking fee is $50k....it's not even including race track fuel,what they didnt announce they had or even how many km the entire track is.

for those that can afford the 50k.. i'm pretty sure they dont care that much

TysonK 03-10-2016 02:35 PM

Hoping this isn't just going to be a rich-boys club just like Area 27 (Osoyoos). But it probably is... they really need to open this to amateur racing events or lapping days. What's wrong with us up here? Seems like the US has it figured out... The Ridge is a fine example of that.

westopher 03-10-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TysonK (Post 8736357)
What's wrong with us up here? Seems like the US has it figured out... The Ridge is a fine example of that.

Population density and car culture here are a shred of what they are in the states.

bananana 03-10-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TysonK (Post 8736357)
Hoping this isn't just going to be a rich-boys club just like Area 27 (Osoyoos). But it probably is... they really need to open this to amateur racing events or lapping days. What's wrong with us up here? Seems like the US has it figured out... The Ridge is a fine example of that.

Area27 has two tiers of membership. There is a $100k (one time) corporate membership that allows an organizer to shut down the whole track+club for a few days per year to host trackdays or whatever. IIRC there are a few groups that will be doing this.

Digitalis 03-10-2016 03:01 PM

I wouldn't exactly say "shut down" because normal members can still participate and vote on club day events.

smoothie. 03-10-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8736361)
Population density and car culture here are a shred of what they are in the states.

nearby land price

westopher 03-10-2016 03:27 PM

That also. Its just not profitable here like the tracks in the states.

hud 91gt 03-10-2016 04:40 PM

If it ends up being open to some clubs, it's just one more reason for me to move back to the island!

SpartanAir 03-10-2016 05:41 PM

Semi-related question: Anyone been on the ferry with a pretty low car?

I'm pretty low in the front and approach all ramps at an angle, but if it's too steep it doesn't help. Been a long time since I've take a ferry and I haven't noticed the inclines.

Would like to check out some Vancouver Island car shows and maybe this track, but I need to know if I can make it on the ferry...

hud 91gt 03-10-2016 05:51 PM

Inclines are different depending on ship/tides and level of the ferry you are on. The ticket agents are usually pretty good anytime I go on with the Datsun (Even though it's stock height) and give me the deck with the straight on access.

westopher 03-10-2016 05:54 PM

Even with my slammed shitbox GTI I could get on. It won't be a problem.

kchan 03-10-2016 07:31 PM

tried to get in contact with them to host a Revscene x TSS track day

got rejected since they are only looking to host themselves for memberships at the moment

westopher 03-10-2016 07:40 PM

Hopefully that won't last for long. It will certainly be in their best interests to cater to the enthusiast community. If they want to gain future customers for their dealerships this is a great way to do it. I mean on the off magical chance that I can ever afford a new porsche, I would go to Porsche langley because of the awesome events they put on for the community. I'm sure a lot of people show loyalty to the places that support the scene.

TouringTeg 03-10-2016 07:51 PM

Best chance to see the track up close will be this years Motor Gathering on August 21st, 2016. Fantastic turn out last year.

Vancouver Island Motor Gathering

I have heard from a few sources that the best chance to race on the track will be with PCA or Victoria Motor Sport Club (vmsc.ca).

I never had a major issued with my old slammed cars on the ferry. Tip of the day: I always ask for the lower deck which usually allows you to approach at a wide angle. Plus you reduce the chance of door dings as you will likely be parked next to a transport truck.

Manic! 03-10-2016 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8735451)

40mill. All the info you are asking for is post in the other thread.

TysonK 03-11-2016 09:06 AM

Keeping my fingers crossed there will be some opportunity for us enthusiasts! Hopefully vmsc will be able to pull thru with something. It'll be interesting to see the actually track in person. There website is really vague to be honest about the dimensions of the whole thing. My first impression is that it looks pretty cramped, I am surprised they didn't make it bigger, but I am sure land value probably dictated that.

BoostedBB6 03-11-2016 09:11 AM

I looked at both plans for tracks and this one is very small and cramped.

The 50k is for the initial membership with dues each year to maintain it.

Went with Area 27 through a hell of a deal with some people I know. Its a far better sorted track, but that comes with higher costs thats for sure.

SumAznGuy 03-11-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8736361)

Ridge is close enough for the people to come up North from Cali/Oregon.
Or south from Seattle/Vancouver

Lots of people with track oriented cars working for Microsoft helps a lot.
Definately lots of car/track people in Cali and some in Oregon.

Plus, for the US people to come up to Canada, they would have to cross the border. Not all US people have a passport but most Canadians will.