REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-07-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
New car dealer financing - legit??

Question for anybody with experience:

3.5 years ago I financed a CPO through Honda Financial on a 5 year term, paid it off in full last month. I called HF to confirm the car is mine, and to see if I could get pre-approved for a new car, trading the current one in. They said because I paid off the car more than 6 months in advance, it would have to be done at dealership.

Today, I walked into a Honda dealership. Test drove, sat down, negotiated, shook hands. Salesman takes me into Finance Manager's office, and she is already aware I get -1% interest due to Honda Loyalty thing. She takes my info, income, loan amount, prints out a page, and then immediately says you're approved. It's around 7pm at this point.

She sets up an appointment 2 days later for delivery of car (car was in compound, all the detailers had gone home, etc. and tomorrow is fully booked), and to sign financing papers.

I did nothing except put a $1000 deposit down, and sign credit application.

Am I good to go? The internets is filled with horror stories about people getting called back into dealerships weeks after they were supposedly "pre-approved", resign, etc. Apparently this is illegal in Canada?

So, am I legitimately approved? Or is this a scam-tactic?
FWIW, total cost of car with taxes/fees is 31000. I'll be financing 23000 before interest.

tl;dr - went to buy new car, was approved for financing in minutes, told to come back 2 days later. Safe?
Advertisement
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

it is possible to get preapproved that quick if they have their inhouse finance department.
In another word, you are definitely good to go if it is a inhouse finance department within the dealership.
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
are you getting the -1% on the purchase agreement?

seems pretty normal so far, I would've made them write refundable deposit on the purchase agreement just incase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
All deposits are refundable. If you don't sign a bill of sale, simply call the VSA- your deposit will be returned promptly.

What makes you think it's a scam tactic? You bought a car, calm down.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

Yeah, Honda dealership, financing through Honda Financial Services. I'm assuming the lady I sat down with is the "inhouse finance department".

Deposit is refundable indeed.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
All deposits are refundable. If you don't sign a bill of sale, simply call the VSA- your deposit will be returned promptly.

What makes you think it's a scam tactic? You bought a car, calm down.
lol, because again, google is FILLED with "spot deliveries" and "yoyo financing", most of which seem to be prevalent in the US. Was just wondering if anybody has had shit like this.

It's not like Canadian car dealers are saints (richmond subaru, etc.)

I am calm, but also pretty damn excited.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
lol, because again, google is FILLED with "spot deliveries" and "yoyo financing", most of which seem to be prevalent in the US. Was just wondering if anybody has had shit like this.

It's not like Canadian car dealers are saints (richmond subaru, etc.)

I am calm, but also pretty damn excited.
It's extremely difficult to spot deliver a car in Canada- also, an approval can take between 30 seconds and 3 days with Honda Financial services- basically it can be auto approved by a computer, or require 3 days of work, or not approved at all.

Point being relax! When you go to take delivery read over everything carefully- mostly the interest rate, payment, etc etc and ensure it matches what you signed.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #8
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,260 Times in 1,966 Posts
I think you'll be fine. Only issue I can think of off the top of my head is the car not being ready in 2 days but that could be due to miscommunication between employees.

They might have sped you through the process because you had your head on your shoulders and / or your credit history is very good. But yeah if you're feeling leery at any point, just back out before signing anything. People have kicked themselves later on by letting excitement cloud their judgement.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #9
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Yeah, Honda dealership, financing through Honda Financial Services. I'm assuming the lady I sat down with is the "inhouse finance department".

Deposit is refundable indeed.
I work at a Honda dealership (not in sales or finance) and nothing out of the ordinary has happened so far.

We've had a customer come in once and he was approved within the hour. Might have helped that he's bought a few cars from our dealership before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: