REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC claim questions (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708008-icbc-claim-questions.html)

terkan 03-09-2016 09:38 PM

ICBC claim questions

Over the weekend while i was parked in the parking lot at Metro, a taxi backed up into the parking stall and bump into my car. the contact was pretty minor and he didn't even noticed he bumped into my car.. i got out of the car to take a quick look and then he finally noticed and move his car away from mine. quick peek didn't see any dents or noticeable dmg so didn't bother taking down his info. later got home upon further inspection noticed the front of my bumper under the licence plate had my wrap and paint scraped off which looks like caused by the exhaust tip. so called up icbc to file a claim. My dashcam was in park mode so it only woke up after it felt the bump and recorded basically a second after the taxi made contact. but it does show the taxi moving away from me and the driver came out to look at the cars.

Upon calling icbc, i was told unless the other party calls in to claim responsibility i'll have to pay the collision deductible, which means my insurance premium will go up? i explained to them i have a dash cam of 1 second after the bump, and they didn't even ask me to send it in. So basically i'm screwed? is there a way for me to request for icbc to bring in the taxi and measure the exhaust tip to determine if the dmg is cause by them? i don't really mind paying the deductible.. but i'm not happy that for something that's not my fault i'll have to pay a deductible and a premium increase.

inv4zn 03-09-2016 09:51 PM

I'd say you're SOL, unfortunately.

You both left the scene without exchanging info, so in ICBC's eyes you did that yourself somewhere and are now blaming the taxi, which you have no proof hit you apart from what you're claiming.

What car was the taxi?

Also, I donno what dashcam you have but my blackvue is always recoding in parking mode, it just doesn't save the file if there's no movement. You sure there's no file before the incident?

Xu.Vi 03-09-2016 09:58 PM

No. Your premiums won't go up if its a hit and run.

bomberR17 03-09-2016 10:03 PM

No premiums increase. Just have to pay deductible. ICBC can confirm that as well when you called in. It's only for comprehension that premiums increase.

604STIG 03-10-2016 06:42 AM

Lesson should be learned. Doesn't matter how minor it may appear always exchange info in any sort of incident, especially when both parties have acknowledged that contact was made.

jeedee 03-10-2016 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terkan (Post 8736090)
quick peek didn't see any dents or noticeable dmg so didn't bother taking down his info.

Well theres your biggest mistake and the reason why you now have to pay a deductible. Always get their info even if you don't see any damage (at the time).

H.Specter 03-10-2016 05:34 PM

There is so much misinformation here.

You had a collision claim. You had the opportunity to obtain and exchange information but did not choose to do so. Now you're filing a claim but since you chose not to obtain the third party information, it's going to be a collision claim with no identified liable third party, therefore your insurance premiums still increase.

This is not a hit and run because the third party did not flee, you chose not to obtain their information.

dSpaceman 03-12-2016 10:33 PM

I don't see how claiming it as hit-and-run would benefit you anyways, seeing how the deductible is at $750. If it's so minor that you didn't notice it upon first glance, I say just suck it up. Yeah it's unfair that it wasn't your fault but let this be a lesson. Always document and record everything when things like this happen. You can never be too cautious.