REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Price to buy + install Parking Sensors?

Hey Guys,

I got quoted $600 after taxes to have parking sensors installed. My car is already black so the sensors don't need to be painted. Thought the quote was pretty steep but the shop has a pretty good reputation for their work. What bothers me is that I could've sworn I was quoted around $400 from the same shop a few months ago and now that I am ready to pull the trigger it is 600. (couple months ago, I could be remembering it wrong)

What do you guys think on the quote I was given? And any recommendations and which shops that can do it for a fair price? The job involves drilling holes in the bumper so quality is a pretty big concern. I will pay $600 if thats the price it should be to have it done right.

Thanks,
Advertisement
magnum.jn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
If there products come form the US that could be the increase in cost.

$600 does not sound un-reasonable if there pulling bumpers, doing the wiring etc.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Why not get a rearview cam instead? Less work installing and you can see behind you instead of some beeps.. Way more benefits and can record while driving..

I personally dont get these back up sensor devices, used the one on my bro's 15 Civic SI, I could back up and park faster not using all these assisted hardware.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Why not get a rearview cam instead? Less work installing and you can see behind you instead of some beeps.. Way more benefits and can record while driving..

I personally dont get these back up sensor devices, used the one on my bro's 15 Civic SI, I could back up and park faster not using all these assisted hardware.
How much do the cams go for, and which shop should I go to? Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

you can get a camera for like $100, and install was like not too much either, probably another 100 or something
Cwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
it would be nice to have both the parking sensors and the camera, especially when the camera gets covered in road crud and you can't see

who did you get this quote from?

soundsgood is the sponsor here, if you haven't asked them already http://www.revscene.net/forums/audio...urity-tech_10/
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post

I've had my TSX for about a year. I can't park it worth shit. Can't see any corner of the vehicle and it's just a big guessing game. I've seriously thought about a backup camera, but don't want the screen. Sure makes driving the other car seem like a breeze though.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Buy one for < $100 bucks and DIY
SFU_wmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
it would be nice to have both the parking sensors and the camera, especially when the camera gets covered in road crud and you can't see

who did you get this quote from?

soundsgood is the sponsor here, if you haven't asked them already Audio, Video, & Security Tech - REVscene Automotive Forum
The quote is from soundsgood, I also called RPM Electonics, they quoted me 260 before taxes so around 300 ish after tax. Contemplating on what to do, if going to soundsgood is worth the extra 300 due to their rep, I've seen there work it's pretty impressive but 300 is a large gap.

This is not something I would try doing my self, not when it involves a ton of wiring and drilling holes.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I used to think backup cameras are silly but I parked in a super tight spot in downtown the other day in an EVO car share. I had to park in an EVO zone because everything was paid parking.

That camera helped so much I had a clapping ovation from everyone in the car after I squeezed in the spot. If the car had sensors it would probably go off way earlier than I wanted.

So one vote for backup camera over sensors. Also less drilling I think because you can mount the camera on the license plate.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #11
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Ya, a backup camera is far less intrusive and reversible than drilling holes in your bumper. You have several options on how to mount a camera. IMO unless they are factory, backup sensors ruin the lines of the car. Factory ones generally (not always) are integrated into the design of the bumper, vs aftermarket ones are literally an afterthought.

You can go the route of having the camera display on a new headunit, or get a peripheral screen. Even some of the cheap ebay ones aren't bad, and can record front and back.

Also, I hate beeping or chimes of any kind in my car. The backup sensor beeps would drive me batty.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I bought a backup cam off Amazon, wasn't easy to install as I had to splice/extend the wires. Came to about $70 and ~2-3 hours to install. Also the angle of the lens is too small and the camera doesn't really point down enough due to the mount design

This one here: https://www.amazon.ca/Waterproof-4-3...+camera+mirror

In my Fiesta I'm running a 2-channel dashcam with a screen on the front, works okay as a backup cam, I can't park within say a couple inches but it definitely helps. Probably worthless if you're installing it on a coupe or sedan but on a hatchback/SUV it's not bad. Would be about the same price installed as what they quoted you for backup sensors too but offer you some protection as a bonus
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
i love the back up sensors in my pickup! i barely ever look at the camera, just look in the mirrors and out the windows.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

the stock sensors on my parents 2010 camry have started to bug out recently. so they might not be the best thing. i'll throw the car into reverse and it'll beep like theres something an inch away from the car. one time they asked me to take a look and the paint on the censors started to peel off and caused this. that got fixed, but shortly after they started to bug out again. it comes and goes.
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #15
I don't get it

Which location did you get the sounds good quote from and who did ya deal with?
2007 civic si coupe turbo with 535whp on the mustang dyno (sold)
2010 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab slt (sold)
2003 j's racing s2000 comptech supercharged (parted)
2008 civic si coupe (traded)
2006 toyota 4runner limited (traded)
92 civic eg hatch turbo d16 11.7 quarter (parted)
90 eagle talon (rip)
89 toyota celica gts (sold)
08civicsi_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #16
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08civicsi_coupe View Post
Which location did you get the sounds good quote from and who did ya deal with?
Went to the coquitlam location, believe it was Chris.

Decided to go with RPM for the install for parking sensors, thanks for the suggestions everyone but didn't want a aftermarket screen for the cam and all that.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #17
RS Lurker, I don't post!

our shop doing backup sensor around 280-350 depend on the car
peebking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #18
RS Licensed Vendor

We do sensors, but don't use the generic sensor kits that a lot of the shops us to keep cost down.

Main reason is just reliability, a lot of the bigger companies have better quality control. The sensor kits themselves are not that expensive, it's really the time and care someone will spend to ensure a good job. Last thing you want is having to bring a car in multiple times to replace sensors, then once you're past the one year warranty you're paying someone again to replace the system. One's we carry have 3 year warranty.

Keep in mind some vehicle require bumpers to be removed, so masking and paint protection is suggested to ensure there's no accidental scuffs or swirls.

Also, routing the cabling is important also, some shops don't tie up the wiring and often the wiring wiggles out of place and ends up on the exhaust shield which in turn melts.

Most shops that would charge more, do so because they'll spend more time ensuring a lasting installation rather than a quick installation.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com

Last edited by Cman333; 03-16-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2016, 10:16 PM   #19
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum.jn View Post
Went to the coquitlam location, believe it was Chris.

Decided to go with RPM for the install for parking sensors, thanks for the suggestions everyone but didn't want a aftermarket screen for the cam and all that.

Ya thats me! we have the same thoughts on this as bpg does but i hope you ultimately got what ya wanted for a good deal!
2007 civic si coupe turbo with 535whp on the mustang dyno (sold)
2010 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab slt (sold)
2003 j's racing s2000 comptech supercharged (parted)
2008 civic si coupe (traded)
2006 toyota 4runner limited (traded)
92 civic eg hatch turbo d16 11.7 quarter (parted)
90 eagle talon (rip)
89 toyota celica gts (sold)
08civicsi_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote