REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #26
HELP ME PLS!!!

Isn't the MLS trying to import more South American players over European players (due to European players not wanting to play in North America)? How's that going?
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #27
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,690 Times in 1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Isn't the MLS trying to import more South American players over European players (due to European players not wanting to play in North America)? How's that going?
not necessarily...there are roster restrictions and other complicated things like International Roster Spot, Designated Player, Target Allocation Money that play into it.

if anything the MLS is trying to promote more home grown players (for American teams anyway) though from what I hear, the Whitecaps have a good academy going on
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 PM   #28
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 2,877 Times in 872 Posts
Yet another retroactive suspension for the Caps via Kudo when he was brought down in the box. What's next, one player a week being suspended for something insignificant?
Old 03-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #29

^ shits getting ridiculous

it's like the MLS is trying to create a Whitecaps FC Suspended XI by the end of the season...or the end of May at this rate

what a joke...whats the point of fucking refs at this point
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
Old 04-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #30
"Entertainment" mod.

LOL, Laba added to the Whitecaps Suspended XI!
Old 04-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #31

Not good....Pedro's injury is back, Scooter's injury is back and barring some common sense and rational thinking, Laba is out next game.

Seriously, with all the reds and retro suspensions how can the MLS expect anyone to take them seriously as a league. Even 3rd tier Colombian soccer is officiated more reasonably than this shit.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #32
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Not good....Pedro's injury is back, Scooter's injury is back and barring some common sense and rational thinking, Laba is out next game.

Seriously, with all the reds and retro suspensions how can the MLS expect anyone to take them seriously as a league. Even 3rd tier Colombian soccer is officiated more reasonably than this shit.
It's also brutal that the 5 panel of individuals (1 ref, 1 coach, 3 players) remain anonymous. That's a lot of weight put onto individuals that we don't know their ability to judge calls.

The Laba red call is the new reality the refs are placed under. With the ability to give out red cards after the game, it forces the refs to have to make calls that they could be "woried" will be reviewed and changed. It's going to make reds trigger happy to prevent them from looking like they keep missing calls.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #33

anyone ever been to a WFC 2 game before?
what's the atmosphere / quality of the games like?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #34
"Entertainment" mod.

For anyone that wants to see the Caps take on a English Premier League level team (It's not one of the big ones, but they made the FA Cup final this year), Crystal Palace is coming to town in July.

Whitecaps FC invited to play Crystal Palace FC in Vancouver International Soccer Challenge | Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Quote:
VANCOUVER, BC – In conjunction with the Vancouver-Guangzhou Friendship Society and Vancouver Chinese Soccer Association, Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Thursday that the club has been invited to play against English Premier League side and FA Cup finalists Crystal Palace FC in the Vancouver International Soccer Challenge.

The match will take place at BC Place on Tuesday, July 19 at 7 p.m. PT.

READ: Get to know Crystal Palace FC
READ: How Crystal Palace FC reached the FA Cup Final

“We’re honoured to be invited to take part in the Vancouver International Soccer Challenge against Crystal Palace FC,” said Bob Lenarduzzi, president of Whitecaps FC. “Facing an English Premier League side will provide a great test for our club, and great entertainment for local soccer fans.”

Whitecaps FC season ticket members have first priority to purchase their seats through an exclusive pre-sale ending on Wednesday, May 25 at 5 p.m. PT. Tickets will then go on sale to the public through Ticketmaster on Friday, May 27 at 10 a.m. PT.

“It’s a trip that I think will be good for the club,” added Alan Pardew, manager of Crystal Palace FC. “As we prepare for our upcoming Premier League season, we had a number of teams that want to play us and we’ve taken this opportunity to go to North America to spread the word of the type of football we play. Our fan base continues to grow in North America and this is a perfect opportunity to reach out to those fans as well as introduce ourselves to many more new fans in the United States and Canada."

The international friendly is part of the sixth annual Vancouver - Guangzhou Friendship Cities Cup, a friendly match between a Select XI from the Vancouver Chinese Soccer Association and the Guangzhou Super Football Club to celebrate the 31st anniversary of the sister cities relationship between Vancouver and Guangzhou. The Friendship Cities Cup will kick off at 9 p.m. PT - immediately following the international friendly.

"We are delighted to have both Vancouver Whitecaps FC and Crystal Palace FC agree to take part in this international friendly match,” said Mr. Yung Tsz Shuen, president of the Vancouver Chinese Soccer Association.

“We hope the home fans will come out and fully support Whitecaps FC, while at the same time they can witness some fantastic skills from players of Crystal Palace such as Zaha, Campbell, Wickham, Adebayor and Jedinak. It is also our aim, through this sister cities relationship, to encourage more people from the local Chinese community to support Whitecaps FC and be more involved in football development in Vancouver.”

“The team at BC Place is proud to host yet another international soccer match between two exciting Club teams,” said Graham Ramsay, Director, Business, BC Place. “Following the recent success of hosting the FIFA Women’s World Cup and the Canada Men’s National Team qualification matches for the FIFA World Cup Russia 2018 tournament, BC Place continues to attract new, world class events to British Columbia.”

Prior to this summer’s friendly, the London-based club will be looking to capture their first FA Cup title when they play Manchester United in the final at Wembley Stadium on Saturday, May 21. Founded in 1905, the club has finished as high as third in the English Premier League in 1991. The team is led by Alan Pardew, winner of the EPL Manager of the Season in 2012.

“We are honoured to have this opportunity to co-organize this memorable game, to celebrate the friendship between Vancouver and Guangzhou cities,” said Paul Kam, chairman of ProEvents Group. “We encourage all soccer fans to get their match tickets early to avoid disappointment.”

This is the 59th all-time international friendly for Whitecaps FC, and the second since joining MLS in 2011. During the club’s inaugural MLS season, Whitecaps FC hosted English side Manchester City FC at Empire Field.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #35

Saw that today...I wonder how much the tickets will be.

How much were the tickets when Man City came? I couldn't remember.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

so do you guys think rivero will get traded after the kamara trade fiasco? I'm hoping so since he is the second highest paid player on the caps besides morales..
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #37

nah...Robbo's still got faith in Octavio
plus i don't think there are really any interests in him

word is Seattle is looking to add Nicolas Lodeiro from Boca so if anything I could see Robbo adding another striker and/or finishing forward during the summer to bolster the finish...we're in tough when we lose Perez, Waston and Bolanos for the Copa Centenario later

stupid MLS and its goddamned dumb as fuck schedule.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #38
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Rivero hasn`t been productive at all lately eh?
Flopping for days asking for stupid calls instead of hustling for the ball.
jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #39

rivero was good for the first quarter of the season LAST YEAR this year he hasnt done shit and is injured...

Robbo should play perez more that guy is a beast I know he 35 or so but still guy should be starting every game he is that good!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #40

I'm excited about the Crystal Place game. Although they don't have the big names, an EPL team is still an EPL team. Hope they play a competitive squad, would be interesting to see how the Caps match up.

Anyone notice that the Caps have been scoring in bunches ever since Rivero has been injured or coming off the bench? This guy is not a starter in MLS. First chance Robbo has, Rivero should be replaced. I'll pay for the taxi to the airport.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #41

Rivero is perfect as an off the bench striker, as good as Perez is, he can't be a starter anymore. That leaves Hurtado who's been pretty effective these past few games but is still trying to find his game. He seems like he's always one shitty game away from losing his confidence for the season.

I really hope this is the year Kekuta Manneh breaks out...i mean if he does, it could also be the last time we see him in a Whitecaps uniform but it'd be great for him. He's got all the right tools to be an impact player if he can just be consistent enough.

Not sure what the moves in the summer Robbo plans, but this team could really use a close out finisher and another rock at CB...Waston seems like he's on the decline and he's a yellow card machine, besides psyching out opponents in the PK, Kah is garbage most of the time, Dean is injured and too inconsistent. We're basically an injury to Parker away from disaster on the back line.

And i don't get the people bitchmoaning about the CPFC game...Sure it's after a busy stretch of the schedule but it's an exhibition game ffs. No one's gonna get taxed and it'll be a great showcase for the young ones and barely used players. Hoping Alphonso Davies and Kadin Chung plays in this game.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #42

^dont forget smith if he is still on the team I'm not sure but he is trash too! Waston is way to aggressive at everything he does and he thinks he doesnt do shit when he fouls the opposing player..parker and harvey are the only steady players on the back line IMO. Aird needs alot of work, Kah is shit, Dean havent seen him play much, what happened to adukube or however you spell it? He is a decent young guy till he gets injured lol
Old 05-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #43

Lol I get the sense that Robbo doesn't like Smith but he's gonna get his shot with Aird looking at at least a 1 game suspension maybe 2 or more when DisCo strikes.

I haven't seen Smith play enough...guys got pace but he seems like he gets beat pretty easily.

The shitty thing is that Waston's got that reputation now...his fouls are scrutinized and he's more likely to be carded for minor things. He needs to just leave the tackling to the midfielders (read Laba) and stick to winning air balls and defending by positioning.

Adegkube was good...but he got injured last year and has just been outplayed by Harvey at LB. Now he's kinda rusty and not worth risking getting exposed esp with the CB/RB being a mess. No way Robbo sits Harvey for him until later on in the stretch when the Canadian Championship and CCL qualifiers starts.

Edit: pretty interesting info on Salary this year considering this shit is rarely disclosed

https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/Ma...0By%20Club.pdf
Old 05-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #44

Aird is actually a midfielder. This is the first time he has ever played RB and I think he is getting stronger every game. Remember also he is really young, 20 years old I believe. Playing out of your natural position is tough, and he has done a pretty good job so far.

I agree with CB. Dean showed so much promise, but all his injuries have made him out to be another Omar Salgado, tons of potential but made of glass. Need someone to take over Kah's spot.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #45

I'm surprised with some of these salaries. Once Dean's Generation Adidas contract runs out, he is gonna have to take a massive paycut to prove himself or hit the road. Not worth nearly 200k. Jordan Smith making nearly as much as Harvey? He's a giveaway machine. And Rivero, well I'm not gonna say anything there except he is the biggest waste of money Vancouver has seen since Jarju.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #46

Iunno man as many fouls as Waston has lately he's still a solid defender. We'll see what changes we make. I'm also a fan of opting out on Rivero atm

Excited for the Crystal Palace game as well.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #47
"Entertainment" mod.

Maybe front end saved their money to get Zlatan for one year .

As for Aird, the intent was to move him to right back when he goes back to Rangers, and with them getting promoted back to Scottish Prem, that kind of attacking will be valuable. His instinct as a winger is showing, and his defending will only get better with time. I did like Manneh playing as more of a center forward/second striker as well. It reduces his chance of making idiot cuts off the wing and losing possession.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #48
"Entertainment" mod.

New emergency RB pls. Kah was directly responsible for 3 goals today, and Waston is getting extra games for his dirty tackle. Jesus Christ. Smith is hot garbage as a backup and it showed when Parker played RB and essentially killed width.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #49

New emergency CB while we're at it

MLS refs are god-awful...they make NFL replacement refs look like geniuses
How Unkel still has a job after his red card fuck up fiasco is beyond me
same with that moron Geiger
Old 06-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #50

Was anybody else cringing watching the Ottawa Fury game?