REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 03-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Desktop not detecting wireless-N from router

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with my desktop where it cannot detect wireless-N from any routers, including my own 2 routers.

As you can see in the image, Radio Type is 802.11g, not 802.11n.

I don't think it's the network card, because I have tried 2 (D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N [PCI] and DWA-556 Xtreme N [PCIe]) network cards, and none of them detected wireless-N. I tried the two cards on another computer and they were able to detect wireless-N.

I have no problem with other computers and laptop around the house, so I don't think it's the routers (they are both operating in 2.4 GHz mode) either.

I actually had this problem the first day I built the computer, and I thought I had a bad network card, so I bought a long Ethernet cable instead.

I have no idea as to how I would start to troubleshoot this.

The problem desktop build:
Asus Z87-A motherboard
750W EVGA

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement

Last edited by banana200; 03-14-2016 at 02:43 PM.
banana200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Are your wi-fi ID's the same name?
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

2 different SSIDs.

Both are N routers, Asus N66 and Belkin N750. The problem desktop just sees the broadcast signal as G, and thus only connect as G.

Just reiterating, all other computers and laptops have no problem connecting to the two routers as N.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

uggg Finally!

So apparently under a certain driver, it would disable 802.11n on the network card.

I had to uninstall the installed driver, and force install an older version to get it to work.

I have no idea why I ran into this problem on this desktop and not the other one.

Mods can close this thread, thanks!