REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Has anyone been able to gain compensation for diminished value after an accident?

Car: 2015 mustang GT.

Mirror was torn off in a hit and run that I posted earlier. It was about a year ago, but it was repaired twice because they missed a spot. Most recent repair was about 2-3 months ago. New mirror, repainted left side and dents had to be pulled out from debris of the mirror denting the car.

As I'm sure you're all aware, a car that's been repaired is worth less than a similar car without any accidents, known as diminished value. Apparently, some people have tried to seek compensation, and even been successful

More on ICBC Claims and Accelerated Vehicle Depreciation | ICBC Personal Injury Claims Lawyer Erik Magraken | Victoria & Vancouver Island BC
Need advice: ICBC Claim for a non-liable new car accident - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Question is, does anyone have any experience and what to expect? Work done on my car was about $1500-2000. No it's not like an sl65 in the first link, but I'd imagine the resale value would be about $2000 less for a $45000 car. Could go to original ford dealership, or any really, and see what the resale value is for my car as is, vs exact same car but without accidents.
Advertisement

Last edited by clevernickname; 03-15-2016 at 11:00 AM.
clevernickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I doubt a mirror replacement and minor paint work would change your car's value. Not worth the effort to pursue, imo.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
My co-worker went through this process after he was t-boned by another driver. Accelerated Depriciation is what they called it. 100% other drivers fault. The hit was big though. Like $10K on a new Civic at the time. He had to sue her(the other driver) personally in small claims court. They settled out of court and he only got a portion of the proceeds he was going for though.

For such a small peice of damage I think the court would look at you as a time waster. Seriously. I believe you would need to sell your car to realize the loss so that there is a "real" number to base your case off of.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
A friend was hit while driving his 09 Audi A4 on the rear driver door and rear quarter. Instead of compensating for diminished value, ICBC added on money for injuries. ICBC did not want to set a precedent.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,922 Times in 3,876 Posts
I don't think $2000 is a significant enough variance on a $45,000 car to worry about, you're talking about a 4.5% decrease in value which is basically nothing.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
A mirror??? Bruh, people on this site have worse damage in door dings than replacing a mirror. If it were front end bumper, hood, fenders, rad support, headlights etc totalling to 15k, then yes you have a diminished value
Old 03-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
Nothing to worry about at all, it's a fricken mirror and as long as all the paint matches don't take that into the price at all
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
If you let someone talk you down on price over a mirror replacement you shouldn't be selling cars, let a real man sell it for you.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i think Ontario is the only province in Canada that pays you out for diminished value, ICBC would lose out on so much capital if they do that

they would probably pay you a few thousand more if comparing to buysell/craigslist ad if you are lucky
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I think it's crazy that any insurance company would payout. That is one can of worms that any smart insurance company would avoid.

This potential value is only a hypothetical number, this number only becomes a real value once the car is sold (as stated by white rocket).

If the victim receives this money and never sells the vehicle, this is potentially a free payout to anyone that is not found at fault in an accident.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #11
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevernickname View Post
Car: 2015 mustang GT.
Work done on my car was about $1500-2000. No it's not like an sl65 in the first link, but I'd imagine the resale value would be about $2000 less for a $45000 car. Could go to original ford dealership, or any really, and see what the resale value is for my car as is, vs exact same car but without accidents.
$2000 diminished value for a $1500-$2000 repair?

ICBC would be like: here is a $2 cheque for your diminished value, now fuck off.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #12
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Honestly $2,000 is such minor damage no one should be worried about it. I have seen $5,000 decorations because someone backed into a person's car that had back up sensors. Had to replace bumper, tail light, back up sensors, and repaint the bumper. Really depends on the car. Also if the vehicle was hit before it's three year anniversary they have to use OEM parts which are more expensive.
brrrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
I've successfully received fair compensation for loss in value from ICBC. It's not easy but it is possible. But in your case, you are wasting your time given the minimal amount of the claim. Over the next few years, your car is going to depreciate anyways, no matter what.

If you had let's say $10k - $15k damage, and along with an injury claim, to a relatively rare car with a lots of track record to show how much a mint one sells over a damaged one, verified by an independent 3rd party credible source, then you will have better odds at receiving compensation. If not, just chalk this one up to the ups and downs of car ownership.
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
I was able to get it but my car had a 10 grand repair bill and I had a kick ass lawyer.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #15
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

This is an old thread, but I've just found it.

I've been doing work for people in BC looking for accelerated depreciation for over 9 years.

As of this year, you now just have to ask for it.

The car has to be yours, so no leases and you have to be 100% not at fault.

Ask your adjuster for it. if you were injured it becomes a bit more difficult because bodily injury adjusters seem to lagging behind. I write about 2 of these reports per day and they are getting paid.

Some may also be thinking "oh great, another thing for insurance to pay out, our rates are going to sky rocket". Oh contrare mo frere

Applied properly, we believe that this can help reduce litigation drastically. A lot people are pushed to law suits because they are pissed by how they are being treated for their car. Once a lawyer becomes involved a claim that may have cost $3000 now can jump to $30,000.

There are over 32,000 litigated files per year in BC. If we can help reduce that by 10 - 15%, at $10000 per file, you do them math.
85jettaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
$2000 dec wont make a difference.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #17
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I thought claims under $2k don't even show up on an ICBC report?
Old 12-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I thought claims under $2k don't even show up on an ICBC report?
That's the story I hear as well, Under 2k you don't have to declare it.
Besides its a mustang, We all know how that usually goes
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #19
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrtoast View Post
That's the story I hear as well, Under 2k you don't have to declare it.
Besides its a mustang, We all know how that usually goes
You don't have to declare it if under 2k, but it will still show on the cars history if it is reported and repaired through ICBC.
dabbin is offline   Reply With Quote