REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 03-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
iPhone SE

The iPhone SE is up for pre-order in Canada starting March 24th and available for sale on March 31st. The pricing is as follows:
– 16GB: $579 (CAD) unlocked.
– 64GB: $709 (CAD) unlocked.

iPhone SE specs, Canadian pricing and availability | MobileSyrup.com

damn.. $600 for a 16gb 4-inch phone...
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
If they priced it a little lower, maybe it's a good phone for people with small hands (ie. for the kids market)? Will be interesting to see how sales goes though. IMO, ~5 inch is the sweet spot for most people if you still want to operate a phone with one hand.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
seems alright but have to wait...... BTW is 4inch the same size as an iphone 5s?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
seems alright but have to wait...... BTW is 4inch the same size as an iphone 5s?
It's not just the same size... it's the same to the 5s except with upgraded CPU and camera.

Tim&co.:
Old 03-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Think 6s in a smaller form factor, it makes sense.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #6

4in is fine... not everyone likes a big phone.. but who makes a 16gb phone now and for $600CAD... non expandable storage...
Old 03-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
degenerate extraordinaire

its this year's iphone 5c
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
what ever happened to the "innovate or die" mantra?

did it only apply to BB?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
you guys do realize that the iphone 7 is coming out this year?
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #10

iPhone se = suckers edition! Apple innovation has literally left the building and are just being plain old greedy....I'm not going to lie I do use Apple products MacBook Pro and iphone6 the camera hump is one thing I got over since I use a case on my phone but how the fuck did this pass thru the design team and Tim Cook & co is beyond me. Also with the big ass iPad Pro nothing bro about that it's just a big ass ipad...the new 9.7 iPad Pro has a fucking camera hump and isn't compatible with the old iPad smart case wtf is that shit? Apple Pencil charges into the lighting jack of an iPad so u can break it off and have to buy another one? Last but not least the Magic Mouse charges thru the bottom of the mouse so you can't use it while charging!

Their newest products are pretty much slapped together with out thought! they are just seeing the dollar signs and we are the sheep that buy them...I guess things won't change till people stop buying their products...sorry for the rant lol
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:46 PM   #11
I subscribe to Revscene

$567 if you go through the Apple EPP store: Shopping Agreement - Apple (CA)

It's not a bad deal for someone who wants an unlocked 4" device. It has a slightly faster clocked A9 than the 6S. It has 2GB of ram, 1GB more than the 6/6+. This device will easily last 2-3 generations without feeling too slow.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #12

for 16gb phones... come on its 2016 now... how many videos/songs/pictures can you store on it before you start having to delete....

for me, 16gb is enough... i only used 6-8gb on my 128gb N6P...
Old 03-22-2016, 11:43 PM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
this phone is more geared towards emerging markets...it's not meant to shake things up and innovate.
think of how many folks in China/India want Apple devices as a social status...now they dont have to settle for that $100 plasticky Android phone
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-22-2016, 11:44 PM   #14

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Man some of you are seriously putting way too much thought into this... Lol. It's a phone that's being sold for $0 on contract. Just a way for Apple to get more iPhones into peoples hands to show how much of the market share they have at their next keynote...

Then there's those who really do just love this smaller version of iPhone for whatever reason. Some people have held on to the iPhone 5s till now just because they love the form factor.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2016, 11:58 PM   #15
I STILL don't get it

30 million of the 230 million iPhones sold in 2015 were 4" iPhones. That's enough of an indication to them that there many people who prefer a smaller sized iPhone and they will probably keep buying phones of that size. Bringing out a smaller iPhone with top-end specs will help retain these customers who are looking for an upgrade.
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2016, 12:48 AM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etodac View Post
30 million of the 230 million iPhones sold in 2015 were 4" iPhones. That's enough of an indication to them that there many people who prefer a smaller sized iPhone and they will probably keep buying phones of that size. Bringing out a smaller iPhone with top-end specs will help retain these customers who are looking for an upgrade.
30/230 million is mere 13% of the iphone market of the 3 sizes Apple offers. 30 million it sounds big on paper, until you realize 200 million iphones sold last year didnt want the 4" size.

we can quote statistics all day long. fact is emerging market's leading low end budget phones is at 5.5" this includes (to name a few) for roughly 200 usd
- xiaomi red note 3
- LeTV 1S
- lenovo k3 note
- Huawei Honor 5x
etc

when placed against these, it really doesnt hold up, especially when the "premium status" of Apple products is wrapped in a two year old casing. Emerging markets (ie. poor) people who cannot afford the high end phones will find it even harder to spend the hard earn money on a "old" looking phone.

I think the only sector left for the SE is SJ die hard fans who value the small phone for usability, and probably have an ipad at home for media consumption.

Last edited by BoredAtWork; 03-23-2016 at 01:03 AM.
BoredAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2016, 03:09 AM   #17
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork View Post
30/230 million is mere 13% of the iphone market of the 3 sizes Apple offers. 30 million it sounds big on paper, until you realize 200 million iphones sold last year didnt want the 4" size.

we can quote statistics all day long. fact is emerging market's leading low end budget phones is at 5.5" this includes (to name a few) for roughly 200 usd
- xiaomi red note 3
- LeTV 1S
- lenovo k3 note
- Huawei Honor 5x
etc

when placed against these, it really doesnt hold up, especially when the "premium status" of Apple products is wrapped in a two year old casing. Emerging markets (ie. poor) people who cannot afford the high end phones will find it even harder to spend the hard earn money on a "old" looking phone.

I think the only sector left for the SE is SJ die hard fans who value the small phone for usability, and probably have an ipad at home for media consumption.
Even though I think a 4" screen is too small these days, I would be surprised if the SE didn't double that 30 million to at least 60 million.

If you were looking to buy an iPhone last year, it would've been hard to justify getting a 5C or 5S. Consumers wanting a smaller iPhone would've been investing into an outdated device and would've been forced (in my mind) to get at least the regular 4.7" iPhone.

Now with the SE having the same processor and camera as the flagship models, consumers that prefer the smaller 4" screen have that option. Working in retail, I've come to see that despite the market shifting to larger phones, there is still a large market of consumers that want a small and compact cell phone. They also end up saving a $320 compared to the 6S, which is not chump change.

The only surprising thing is that Apple has the carriers pricing it at $99 on contract. This means that you're only getting $480 of the price subsidized. It makes no sense when you compare it with other Android phones that are $0 such as the Galaxy S6, Sony Z5, Nexus 6P or LG G4. I guess Apple thinks that such pricing might devalue the SE in the mind of consumers.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:56 AM   #18
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
old people that barely use all the functions and parents buying phones for kids love the cheaper smaller 16gig.

they just want the ios.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:14 AM   #19
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Would of bought this instead of a 6s+ for my little brother. 700 vs 1500
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:34 AM   #20

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
I know a fair amount of people that would have bought one of these instead of a iPhone6. The reason I hadn't upgraded yet was because the iPhone5 fits perfectly for me and what i do with a phone. I actually preferred the size of the iPhone4 because I have stubby little thumbs and 1handed use is easier for me with a shorter phone without having to shimmy the phone in my hand to reach the top corner. That said, I'm still gonna ride my phone until it dies.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #21
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
I know a fair amount of people that would have bought one of these instead of a iPhone6. The reason I hadn't upgraded yet was because the iPhone5 fits perfectly for me and what i do with a phone. I actually preferred the size of the iPhone4 because I have stubby little thumbs and 1handed use is easier for me with a shorter phone without having to shimmy the phone in my hand to reach the top corner. That said, I'm still gonna ride my phone until it dies.
I really like how the phone Iphone 5s look Vs the 6y or 5s. It just look better to me. As for me. I don't use my phone for gaming, looking on youtube etc etc... I use for mainly for messaging. A smaller phone with good standby time is what I am looking for. This might be something I actually want lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #22
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
I'm still rocking the iPhone 5 from brand new when it came out, solid phone. I keep asking myself if I really want to go to iPhone 6s and spend the money and lock myself in another 3 year contract.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #23

they didnt take all the specs from the iphone 6s ie doesnt have ion glass, doesnt have 7000 aluminium casing, front facing camera is only 1.2 megapixels, no force touch, doesnt have all LTE bands...I really thought this phone was going to look more rounded from all the case leaks youtubers had but apple being their non innovative self as of late re-used the same casing as iphone5 without the shamfered edges..
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #24
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Even though I think a 4" screen is too small these days, I would be surprised if the SE didn't double that 30 million to at least 60 million.

If you were looking to buy an iPhone last year, it would've been hard to justify getting a 5C or 5S. Consumers wanting a smaller iPhone would've been investing into an outdated device and would've been forced (in my mind) to get at least the regular 4.7" iPhone.

Now with the SE having the same processor and camera as the flagship models, consumers that prefer the smaller 4" screen have that option. Working in retail, I've come to see that despite the market shifting to larger phones, there is still a large market of consumers that want a small and compact cell phone. They also end up saving a $320 compared to the 6S, which is not chump change.

The only surprising thing is that Apple has the carriers pricing it at $99 on contract. This means that you're only getting $480 of the price subsidized. It makes no sense when you compare it with other Android phones that are $0 such as the Galaxy S6, Sony Z5, Nexus 6P or LG G4. I guess Apple thinks that such pricing might devalue the SE in the mind of consumers.
Furthermore, 13% may seem small, but 30 million iPhones x $400 USD isn't chump change. Having 2 years to optimize the operations of the iPhone 5s and using existing components from the iPhone 6s, Apple will still be making a great profit margin on these phones. They didn't even bother to change the truetone flash to the round shape, thus keeping the original molds. By the end of Q12016, only 40% of the iPhone installed base (approximately 600 million active iPhones) had upgraded to iPhone 6 generation and above. 60 million, if not 30 million, seems like a respectable estimate on sales of this device for an entire year.

While there are many competing devices in the high end category, iPhone users are extraordinarily loyal and the brand is a status symbol. Tapping into the undeveloped market may be a stretch for the time being, but iPhone SE is made to stay for at least 18 months, by which time it'd probably cost $100-200 less. A $200 iPhone would be very attractive to new buyers looking for the cheapest iPhone available, plus resale prices which would be each cheaper.

PS: in the US, iPhone SE 16 GB is free on a 2-year contract

Last edited by etodac; 03-23-2016 at 03:00 PM.
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I have to use my phone for work and the larger phones are just way to cumbersome. If I have to go into the ORs, I need it to fit in scrub pockets, which are super small. If I have to put on a gown to go into an isolation room, I can't have the gown get caught on a belt case because the phone won't fit in my pocket. Plus I don't want to risk the case getting caught in a piece of machinery when I'm in mechanical rooms.

I was hoping they'd have a 4" version of the 7, but this pretty much rules that out. Hopefully the 7 will be at least a bit smaller than the 6S. If it's any bigger, I'll probably get the SE.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote