REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 03-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

New Vid Card Recommendation? or New PC?

I am thinking of getting a 40" 4K monitor, but then I realize my 7 years old vid card doesn't support 4K..
So I am thinking of getting a new vid card...Any recommendation for something between $150-$250 range? Not really a gamer, but I want my PC to be able to handle most new game in decent setting for the next 3-4 years tho when I do want to play.

Current PC Spec:
AMD Phenom X4 965
MSI 870A-G54 Mobo
Crucial M4 256mb SSD
12GB DDR3 Ram

PC is quite old(6-7yr), will I have compatibility issue with the newer vid card? I am thinking of getting a GTX960 (http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-gefo...05153-1209.htm)

On the other hand, should I just get a new PC with all new parts?
Honestly don't mind spending an extra $500-700 dollars for new mobo/cpu/ssd/ram if I will get get better performance out of it.
But I am also happy with my current setup and I have a feeling a newer CPU won't really make much difference for what I am using it for.
Advertisement
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
forget gaming at 4K...currently even $600-800 cards struggle at that resolution. you'll have to run games at 1080p.

at your budget i would consider only if youre editing or watch lots of 4K videos...otherwise you're just futureproofing right now until $200 video cards get fast enough to play at 4K
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
think with 4K gaming is your FPS is nothing compared to the 1080p FPS..

i've got a decent rig, i7 2600k, 16gb Ram, M4 SSD, etc. recently dropped almost $600 on the R9 390 OC

Playing games like Fallout 4 etc. i can run over 100FPS on ultra settings 1080p, which is pretty much needed with how much action etc. happens on screen

step it up to 4k and it drops to like 20/30, useless for the game.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

oops, never meant to play 4K gaming. (Does games even support that resolution??)

I just want the big 4K screen for browsing and general windows use. (instead of having 2-3 separate monitors)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
if you're downsizing from few monitors have you considered ultrawides? It'll allow you multitask better.

to answer your question...any modern video card will support UHD resolution...since you don't intend gaming at 4K you don't need to look for HDMI 2.0 support (4K 60Hz)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote