REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Booming sales of electric cars in BC = Major charging station shortage

Electric car boom drives surge in charging-station demand
Quebec, Ontario and B.C. invest big in building networks of charging spots for drivers

CBC News Posted: Apr 03, 2016 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Apr 03, 2016 2:39 PM ET

Electric car boom drives surge in charging-station demand - Technology & Science - CBC News

A driver powers up at a charging station in California, where there are sometimes long waits to recharge electric cars. Canadian provinces are backing the construction of more stations to support electric-car drivers. (Rich Pedroncelli/Associated Press)

On a road trip to California from Toronto in his Tesla Model S, Daniel Valadares got a taste of just how popular the luxury electric cars are on the West Coast.

The whole way there — the tech consultant did the trip in 68 hours, swapping driving duties with three companions, including his mother — they didn't once have any hitches charging up the car's battery at any of the dozens of Tesla power stations along the way.

But at the Tesla supercharger station in San Mateo, just south of San Francisco, all eight charging spots were taken when he arrived, so he had to wait. A popular charging station by a scenic ranch a few hours southeast often has waits of 30 or 40 minutes to get a quick refill, he said.

The major consumer concern with early models of electric cars revolved around something called "range anxiety," the fear that the battery would run out before you could make it to your destination or a charging station.

Angie Vorhies plugs in the charging cord to her Nissan Leaf electric vehicle at a mall in November 2013 in San Diego. (Lenny Ignelzi/Associated Press)

But now that charging stations abound — there are thousands publicly available across Canada for all makes of electric cars — an emerging worry is that electric cars are becoming so popular, there will be too much charging station congestion to plug in when you need to, particularly once Tesla's mass-market Model 3 arrives.

'Some idiot ... went shopping'

"I'm on the blogs and forums, and people are afraid of having that happen. I think this is going to be a problem in the future," Valadares said.

At Plugshare.com, a website that maps North American charging stations, people complain of just that.

"I'm waiting my turn for a quick charge," a commenter posted last April while in line at Montreal's only public quick-charging station.

"We're three people here at the same time! A recharge that should take 15 minutes will take 45 because we're waiting in line."

Tesla has built a North American network of 'supercharger' stations for owners of its vehicles, but has had to send out etiquette reminders to some drivers. (The Associated Press)

Part of the problem is a lack of charging spots in key areas. But a contributing factor is charging-station etiquette, or the lack thereof. At that same Montreal quick-charge station, another commenter fumed when the person in line in front of them hooked up and then walked off.

"Some idiot left his car plugged in… and went shopping. All I need is a 10-minute boost!"

It's the equivalent of pulling your petroleum-powered car into a gas station, inserting the pump nozzle into the tank, propping open the lever and then waltzing away to get dinner. Valadares said he's heard of it happening with Tesla drivers in the electric-car heartland of California, too.

"In the really ritzy parts of San Francisco, really rich people would park their cars at a supercharger and go shopping. Once you plug it in, the car would charge in 20 minutes, but they'd be gone shopping for three hours."

Provinces push to build chargers

Tesla's solution has been twofold. It sent out a letter to some of its customers imploring them to "promptly move your Model S once charging is complete." It is also doubling the number of charging ports at many of its supercharger stations.

Help is at hand, too, for drivers of the many other makes of electric cars available in Canada, including the BMW i3 and the Nissan Leaf. In the three provinces with the most electric car ownership — Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia — governments are pushing to build more stations in high-demand areas.

Data from Quebec shows that 90 per cent of electric-car charging happens at night at home, but the province is still seeking to build a vast network of public charging stations for the other 10 per cent of the time.

"We've seen there have been people who have needed to wait for five to 10 minutes," said Louis-Olivier Batty, spokesperson for public utility Hydro-Québec, which is leading the deployment of a provincial network of charging stations called Electric Circuit.

He said peak times seem to be Friday and Sunday nights on the expressways between Montreal and Quebec City, when travellers are heading out on or coming back from a weekend trip.

"Our data have shown us what sites have had congestion and where we need to build more stations. We want to ensure there's no waiting line and will act in advance to prevent that."

Electric Circuit counted 619 charging stations as of last week, 30 of which are high-voltage quick-charging installations. The province is aiming for a total of 800, including 60 quick-charge, by year's end to meet the needs of its 8,500 electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.

Ontario is doling out $20 million in grants to get private and public-sector partners to build more charging stations, with the aim of having quick-charging stations every 60 to 80 kilometres along major highways and potentially hundreds of regular-charge terminals in cities. Details are expected to be announced within days.

'Bit of a red herring for me'

In 2011, B.C. committed $6.5 million to build public charging stations and now has a fairly robust network that supports commuting within big cities but also inter-city trips from the Lower Mainland well into the Interior.

But for Bill Clendinning, the first B.C. owner of a Nissan Leaf, having hundreds of stations available around town hasn't made much of a difference.

"It's a bit of a red herring for me and most people I know, because I don't have a need to charge when I'm out and about," said Clendinning, who lives in the Lower Mainland city of Coquitlam and drives to work every day in Burnaby, which neighbours Vancouver.

"We do 95, 98 per cent of our charging at home when we get home. We have enough range to do all the chores we need to on the typical day or weekend."

Clendinning, who finished the lease on the Nissan and switched to a Kia Soul, said the overall experience of driving an electric car has been "absolutely fantastic."

"They just feel incredible, and we made quite a significant amount of savings in life-cycle costs."
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
First of all, congrats Timps on posting an article that isn't 2-3 years old.

This issue is inevitable, it will take some time for society to work out the kinks.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
This issue is inevitable, it will take some time for society to work out the kinks.
either that or we just resort back to fossil fuel like we've been doing for over a century.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
either that or we just resort back to fossil fuel like we've been doing for over a century.
If you have $58,335 to burn...
Toyota Mirai Reviews - Toyota Mirai Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver
TOYOTA CANADA: Future Vehicles > Mirai

This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #5

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Fix this first.

asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #7
I don't get it

Screw charging stations they need to put in more bike racks so people have more places to lock their bikes up!
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
tesla + fisker hybrid please
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Gas generator cars do eliminate some range anxiety, but for now electric cars are only valid for those with detached homes and apartment buildings with charging stations. Tesla really does need to up the amount of urban superchargers to improve accessibility for electric cars.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:42 AM   #10

Are Tesla superchargers only compatible with Tesla cars?

Can it be used on Prius PHV, Leaf, iMiev, Fisker Karma, etc?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:48 AM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Are Tesla superchargers only compatible with Tesla cars?

Can it be used on Prius PHV, Leaf, iMiev, Fisker Karma, etc?
Yes.. Tesla Superchargers only work on Tesla's own proprietary connectors.

Tesla's have adapters you can use to charge at public EV charging stations though.

https://forums.teslamotors.com/fr_CA...af-and-model-s
scoobyej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyej20 View Post
Yes.. Tesla Superchargers only work on Tesla's own proprietary connectors.

Tesla's have adapters you can use to charge at public EV charging stations though.

https://forums.teslamotors.com/fr_CA...af-and-model-s
ohh okay, but I guess Leaf's battery might not be able to withstand supercharger's high electric currency? or can it?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #13
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
All charging is controlled by the car's computer and not the other way around. Chargers put out whatever it puts out, whether it is 110 volt or 240 volt. The car's computer regulates the electricity and takes whatever it can handle.

A Tesla supercharging station will not work with any other electric car, but the Tesla can charge from anything, including a regular three prong 110 volt outlet.

EDIT:

Here's what and where I purchased a charger for the garage.

http://www.clippercreek.com

Made in the US. Nafta, ftmfw! Bought it for $379.00 USD, no tax. Buy the exact unit rebranded for Canada (Sun Country) = $949.00 CAD + taxes.

http://suncountryhighway.com/en/Item...egory=11322254

Residents of Ontario get incentives/rebates. BC, nada.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 04-04-2016 at 08:55 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote