REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #51
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrac View Post
Drunk driving is preventable, call a friend, taxi, or fucking walk. This person is a real selfish fuck.

Condolences to the family
RIP Officer
100 percent on that. It still amazes me how many people drive drunk still. I work at a club for a side job and there has been numerous times i have had to man handled kids/adults out of there cars cause they think they are ok to drive.

What a terrible accident.
Advertisement
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #52
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I heard on the radio that the driver was released from custody, charges pending conclusion of investigation.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I heard on the radio that the driver was released from custody, charges pending conclusion of investigation.
Still no info on DUI.

If you read the comment section on all the news articles, people are raging how he should've been in jail right away. Even though they don't know the whole story.
Some people are saying "what if officer was at fault" because the truck had a right of way.

What if he was going maybe like 65km/h on 50km/h zone?
120km/h on 50km/h zone would be unacceptable, but what if it was only slightly faster than the speed limit?

What if following was the scenario?
-No DUI
-Headlights were on
-65km/h on 50km/h zone
-Officer failed to check before driving off the parking lot
-Truck driver had a right of way

I understand that this is sad, and kids lost their mom. But unfortunately accidents like this happen.

I feel sorry for the victim, I really do. But thousands of Canadians die because of accidents like this every year. This particular victim happened to be an RCMP officer so the entire country, Justin Trudeau, Christy Clark, RCMP Superintendent, all the other people are sending flowers, donations, condolences, support, etc...to the victim's family.

What if this victim was an average single mom working as a cashier at grocery store supporting her kids? Not much of media attention would've made or certainly not up to this magnitude of attention would've been made.

Nobody said he was drunk, not Saanich Police, not RCMP, not even witness. I don't know how that rumor spread out.

The RCMP is certainly not taking lightly on this, so I don't think they would just release this guy if he had previous record of being danger to the public, or DUI of alcohol or drugs. Especially when one of their own member lost her life.

Saanich Police is still investigating what really happened, maybe this guy was actually doing 120km/h, headlights off, and DUI. Who knows. But I feel that there's way too many speculations going on.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #54
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Very sad indeed 11 years of service. Rip
Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
reminds me a lot of the cop that died in surrey a few years ago on 64th and 144th. they charged the truck driver and put him through hell only to stay the charges in the end.

Charges against Harjit Lotay stayed in Surrey crash that killed Mountie - British Columbia - CBC News
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #56
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Nobody said he was drunk, not Saanich Police, not RCMP, not even witness. I don't know how that rumor spread out.
I'm guessing the media, since the RCMP usually say they're verifying whether or not alcohol or speed were factors. I'm pretty sure that's standard procedure for them to look into those things but people seem to twist that statement a lot.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #57
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,751 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
100 percent on that. It still amazes me how many people drive drunk still. I work at a club for a side job and there has been numerous times i have had to man handled kids/adults out of there cars cause they think they are ok to drive.

What a terrible accident.
I am so not suprised
Old 04-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #58
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
RIP

Are lowered cars even legal?
lol. What i was saying is when a truck is lifted the bumpers are higher than normal and not engineered to be that way. So its possible you could be putting other people at risk in a collision. So i'm wondering if lifted trucks are legal.

I guess same goes for a car being lowered. But with a lowered car you are only putting yourself in danger, not others. I had a lowered smaller acura and sometimes larger vehicles such as trucks wouldn't see me when changing lanes - Likely cause they could bearly see my roof in their side mirrors.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #59
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I would never drive a car that's super low. Your head is coming off if you get hit by a pickup with aftermarket steel bumpers.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #60

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post
lol. What i was saying is when a truck is lifted the bumpers are higher than normal and not engineered to be that way. So its possible you could be putting other people at risk in a collision. So i'm wondering if lifted trucks are legal.

I guess same goes for a car being lowered. But with a lowered car you are only putting yourself in danger, not others. I had a lowered smaller acura and sometimes larger vehicles such as trucks wouldn't see me when changing lanes - Likely cause they could bearly see my roof in their side mirrors.
It is illegal to lift or lower a vehicle. There are specific requirements for bumper height and so on outlined in the MVA but it has never been a big issue.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #61

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar604 View Post
I would never drive a car that's super low. Your head is coming off if you get hit by a pickup with aftermarket steel bumpers.
I always thought it was silly to sacrifice safety nevermind practicality for styling

flamesuit on
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #62
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post

So lets just crack down on lifted trucks and let all the janky s13's roll around because "you're only putting yourself in danger". Both lowered and lifted vehicles suffer from bumpsteer, poorly lowered cars can literally bounce your car out of control, you have a higher chance of causing the other car to roll in a collision with a lowered car, etc.

They're both illegal. They're both "unsafe" in their own respect. So just stahp.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #63
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Most steel bumpers are for off road use only. Those are not street legal. They do not carry DOT certification.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #64
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
Most steel bumpers are for off road use only. Those are not street legal. They do not carry DOT certification.
Neither do 95% of aftermarket parts. My point still stands.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #65
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
This is not true. The law in BC only has requirements for minimum height/dimensions and that the aftermarket bumper provides the same protection as the OEM one.

You're thinking of the rear under ride guard on semis and their trailers which are DOT requirement.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #66

Bumpers, mudflaps
12 A motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with a front bumper, and where a replacement bumper has been installed, it shall give substantially the same protection as the bumper originally installed by the manufacturer.

A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a rear bumper where the manufacturer of the vehicle installed a bumper, and where a replacement bumper has been installed, it shall give substantially the same protection as the original bumper.
A bumper shall be securely fastened to the vehicle, and the bumper bar or brackets shall not be broken, loose or missing.
A bumper must not have a sharp or ragged edge and must not protrude beyond the side of the vehicle.
Mudflaps — A vehicle must be equipped with mudflaps or mudguards as required by section 7.06 of the regulations, which shall not be damaged or worn to the extent they are not effective.

In case anyone is wondering.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #67

What's section 7.06?

I'm always getting windshield chips from people without mudflaps.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #68
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Still no info on DUI.

If you read the comment section on all the news articles, people are raging how he should've been in jail right away. Even though they don't know the whole story.
Some people are saying "what if officer was at fault" because the truck had a right of way.

What if he was going maybe like 65km/h on 50km/h zone?
120km/h on 50km/h zone would be unacceptable, but what if it was only slightly faster than the speed limit?

What if following was the scenario?
-No DUI
-Headlights were on
-65km/h on 50km/h zone
-Officer failed to check before driving off the parking lot
-Truck driver had a right of way

I understand that this is sad, and kids lost their mom. But unfortunately accidents like this happen.

I feel sorry for the victim, I really do. But thousands of Canadians die because of accidents like this every year. This particular victim happened to be an RCMP officer so the entire country, Justin Trudeau, Christy Clark, RCMP Superintendent, all the other people are sending flowers, donations, condolences, support, etc...to the victim's family.

What if this victim was an average single mom working as a cashier at grocery store supporting her kids? Not much of media attention would've made or certainly not up to this magnitude of attention would've been made.

The RCMP is certainly not taking lightly on this, so I don't think they would just release this guy if he had previous record of being danger to the public, or DUI of alcohol or drugs. Especially when one of their own member lost her life.

Saanich Police is still investigating what really happened, maybe this guy was actually doing 120km/h, headlights off, and DUI. Who knows. But I feel that there's way too many speculations going on.
The way how the cars look after the accident I doubt they are going 65 or even 85km........
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #69

Quote:
What's section 7.06?

I'm always getting windshield chips from people without mudflaps.
Mudguards
7.06 Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #70

With dashcam footage, any chance I can claim windshield damage without fault with ICBC?

I've gotten about 4 windshield chips over the past year from people without mudflaps or mudguards. I've paid to have them repaired, but the shop said another one and I'll likely need a new windshield.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #71

Quote:
With dashcam footage, any chance I can claim windshield damage without fault with ICBC?

I've gotten about 4 windshield chips over the past year from people without mudflaps or mudguards. I've paid to have them repaired, but the shop said another one and I'll likely need a new windshield.
Would have to pose the question to ICBC on that one.
1-800-663-3051

Give that number a call and they should be able to tell you if they can do this.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #72

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
The way how the cars look after the accident I doubt they are going 65 or even 85km........
I don't know that for sure but..
Look at the truck, it looks like it's drivable. If you look at crash test result even at 30mph(48km/h), the front end would be smashed up to the interior/front door and wouldn't be drivable.
The Crown Victoria did absorb a lot of impact, however there's no bumper. It got hit by the side where vulnerable, and the truck was lifted + heavy as well.

*edit* ok the truck's suspension might be screwed so maybe it's not drivable but still less than crash testing.

Last edited by Timpo; 04-07-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #73

The witness said the truck was going at a high rate of speed as it passed under his balcony.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #74
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,308 Times in 5,630 Posts
Somthing weird with this story.. Guy released, no info on DUI etc

And now on the news this evening, said her body was being flown to Vernon for "testing" relevant to the investigation?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #75
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,865 Posts
^ possibly a medical issue that lead to her cruiser ending up in front of the truck?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote