REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #26
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Well I guess I wasn't aware there are that many longshoreman. But like someone said above, a 10% pay cut, these guys still getting $28/hr! That is outrageously generous compare to other industries.

I am very surprised the new Translink CEO, Kevin Desmond, we got from Seattle (which has one of the best public transit network) didn't drive (no pun intended) a harder bargain.
Advertisement
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #27
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Just grandfather what they have and implement a lower wage for those that they hire with it taking around 5 years to reach the max which would be set at a lower rate than what it currently is.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #28
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
solution

Spoiler!
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
Well I guess I wasn't aware there are that many longshoreman. But like someone said above, a 10% pay cut, these guys still getting $28/hr! That is outrageously generous compare to other industries.

I am very surprised the new Translink CEO, Kevin Desmond, we got from Seattle (which has one of the best public transit network) didn't drive (no pun intended) a harder bargain.
Tell that to anyone though, even a guy making 5 million a year would most likely scoff at the idea of losing 10% of his wages. When you are accustomed to a wage, pay your bills/mortgage around that wage, and suddenly they want to take 10% away that isn't peanuts.

Sure grandfather those wages, then good luck ever seeing a raise ever again till you retire.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #30
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post

everyone I know in seattle drives a car and has nothing nice to say about public transit.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #31
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Man if they get wage increase, you can be sure Translink will ask for more money from tax payers... in the end, tax payers suffer....
Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #32
Need my Daily Fix of RS

This is not about how much the drivers make. To be honest, we are not even asking for more money. 1% increase is comical and no point even arguing about .

The issue is , on the back end that passengers and the public don't know about. Its issues that will directly affect the drivers working conditions.

Everyone always says we get paid etc too much. But, if you think we get paid too much you are more then welcome to apply! WE ARE HIRING!

You have to remember, we have taken concessions for the last 10 years! In a effort to help the company make ends meet. We even extended our contract by a year , because we didn't want to have bargaining during the plebiscite and during the new CEO etc.

Eventually, you have to ask yourself as a working individual when do we stop taking concessions? Enough is enough.

Just wanted to also point out, that we Also agreed to let them cut down over 250,000 hours! over the last 3 years. Again this was to help the company make budget quotas. Then I see news , of CEOS making Bonus's
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I think there's a lot of stress factors for driving a bus that people don't consider.

Some days i don't even like driving my mid-sized car through Vancouver by myself. Think about driving a huge metal tube where jay-walkers, cyclists, inattentive drivers, etc. zip around you, don't yield to you, etc.

Think about the clientele that you have to deal with. You get verbally abused, physically assaulted, etc. There are a lot of angry people in this world who will take their anger out on you because you're...there. Drunk people, etc. If somebody's standing at a bus stop, you have to take them.

I worked for a year with parolees (violent offenders, sex offenders, etc.) and generally felt safe all but a couple of times. But i don't think I could deal with the people that bus drivers deal with.

I don't know WHAT the going pay should be for them. But I wouldn't call the job easy and I wouldn't be quick to dismiss how hard bus drivers work.

The problem with Translink seems to be that it's very top heavy. A lot of executives, etc. make the lions share. Shouldn't frontline staff be paid well? They're the ones actually operating the machines that get people to and from work/home, etc.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #34
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Lots of people drive downtown in large vehicles and you don't have to pay them that much. In my previous job you could get someone as low as 16-18/hour starting wage to drive a 5 ton as well as do physically demanding work. I do agree that working with the public can be difficult but the same could be said for a mcdonalds employee and I've yet to see them at $30/hour in vancouver.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #35
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Lol..id argue most construction jobs are far tougher for less pay and less benefits, less job security, etc

Laborer and as far as 3rd/4th year trades people in Alberta now are making about the same, 30/h etc. pulling cable and shit for 10 hours a day for 14 days straight seems a little harder..again, with little or shitty benefits.

I find it funny how it's always these Union types who are always the ones bitching about how hard or how people don't understand what their job entails. For the most part they are always far easier and far cushier than their private sector counter-parts
Old 04-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
theres a lot of worse jobs that pay less out there. but i dont think $30 is unreasonable at all for the work they do. id say its in line with other union driving jobs. they also have to deal with shit hours and split shifts, not to mention some of the people who take the bus.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2016, 07:53 PM   #37

Oh no doubt, obviously dealing with the people is the biggest downside to the job
Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #38
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Oh no doubt, obviously dealing with the people is the biggest downside to the job
I'd agree, but your waitress or bartender also deals with people all night long, drunk ones, obnoxious ones, and she has to put up with it because she only gets paid minimum wage and relies on the tips those drunk people leave for her.

As for people saying bus driving is hazardous with regards to the people you have to deal with, the truth is it simply isn't. At least by my definition of the word hazardous it isn't. In 2014 173 construction workers we're killed while at work. Exactly 0 bus drivers were killed.

Sure you might get a cup of water thrown at you, or some bum might annoy you, but at least your not gonna fall to your death.

Quote:
"Drivers deserve fair wages and working conditions — so to demand bus drivers take concessions when they have some of the toughest jobs around is simply insulting," said Unifor Local 111 president Nathan Woods.
But I guess we should take The bus driver unions presidents word for it that they have "the toughest jobs around", I mean after all he isn't paid by those people to literally say exactly that.

As for the issue at hand, from the last contract that was signed wage increases we're set at 3.8% a year. Nothing has been released as of yet by either side, but the bus driver unions keeps using the word "Concessions", I can only imagine that the government is probably trying to reel back that 3.8% to something more reasonable such as 1.5 or 2%. After all inflation is supposed to only be 2% and rarely do we even see that. I highly doubt the government is actually giving bus drivers a pay cut. They are just giving them less of a raise every year.

Further to all of the above, I think performance should also be looked at, and Unifor 111's performance has actually been quite poor over the last little bit.

I remember a document being ousted awhile back about how they had really high turnover, and absenteeism. I could only find this news article though:

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/10/15...nces-skyrocket

Quote:
During the worst months, the numbers meant one-in-10 employees were away from work — everyday.
That's APPALLING. What's even worse is the unions response:

Quote:
“If we notice an employee has a high sort of spike in absenteeism, we’ll have a chat with them and make sure it’s something we can assist.”
Something we can assist? Huh?

Does anyone know how this conversation would go in the private sector?

"Uhh sorry johhny you missed 5 days last month, you're fired"

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 04-20-2016 at 09:37 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #39
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
ok wage cut would suck regardless of occupation.

but 250k hours cut over 3 years for 4700 workers ...seriously that's like only losing 2 days of work in a year if I understood correctly...if you think that's bad just wait until you get replaced by robots/Google

try private sector for a little while...you'll likely run back to your crown-backed position.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
. You shouldn't need a degree to put a roof over your head.
i agree

i deserve property ownership by right of birth
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:18 AM   #41

Last edited by m4k4v4li; 08-12-2016 at 03:55 AM.
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:09 AM   #42
I am Hook'd on RS

I am all for higher wages for everyone to keep up with the ever rising living costs in Vancouver. But Translink needs to stop these bullshit cost cuts.

I remember doing a research for econ class a few years back ubc to see whether the then proposed fare increase was reasonable and justified. I found out translink was actually operating at a pretty low efficiency, and fare evasion was a common problem. Don't remember the exact numbers, but they were losing 3~6 million every year due to evasions. How they managed to implement the gates so late is beyond me, and how the gate costs 200 million dollars has me jackie-chan meme.

What translink needs to do is to stop subsiding the bike lanes and other non-public transportation shit and use that money to do whatever they wanted to do instead of enforcing these BS cost cuts. If bikers want bike lanes, then they should partially pay for it. I don't see how fully subsided bike lanes paid by public transportation users and car drivers are justified. Plus, operating costs should be much lower than the last few years, if they didn't make wage cut then, why start now. The ones should be taking a wage cut are the executives. If they are managing a business that is seeing deficits constantly, and want to start making cost reduction policies on its workers then maybe start with execs first. It may not be much. but at least they would be setting a good example.
beebob is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2016, 05:23 AM   #43
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
There's a bus driver I know through a friend and whenever general chit chat is brought up about how peoples days were he's constantly bragging about how easy and cushy his job is when people ask him how his day was. He says he just drives from point A to point B and repeat. He talks about driving downtown and how he deals with drunk/bums/anyone who he thinks will/could start an altercation. If they pay, they pay, if they don't, who cares. He'll just let anyone on to make his job easier as its not worth the hassle to bug the person about paying to get and possibly start shit.

I may have an damn good union myself, but I work 10x harder than any bus driver and deal with more pissed off annoyed people who bitch about my wage - the entire city.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:38 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4k4v4li View Post
i agree

i deserve property ownership by right of birth
Anyone who does a job for 40+ hours a week should be able to provide basic needs to live in my opinion, regardless of education. If the jobs important enough that it needs you full time, then you should be able to afford rent. That's more of a minimum wage issue than this thread though.

No one said anything about owning property.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
There's a bus driver I know through a friend and whenever general chit chat is brought up about how peoples days were he's constantly bragging about how easy and cushy his job is when people ask him how his day was. He says he just drives from point A to point B and repeat. He talks about driving downtown and how he deals with drunk/bums/anyone who he thinks will/could start an altercation. If they pay, they pay, if they don't, who cares. He'll just let anyone on to make his job easier as its not worth the hassle to bug the person about paying to get and possibly start shit.

I may have an damn good union myself, but I work 10x harder than any bus driver and deal with more pissed off annoyed people who bitch about my wage - the entire city.
Like any job, give someone an inch and they take a mile. I work in a union myself, and I see these types of people a lot. Definitely there are those who wouldn't have a job if they weren't in a union. At the end of the day though, these fuck ups make me look like a model employee.

Being in a union there are things I like and dislike. But when it comes down to it, without the union my wage would be most likely half of what it is now. So I'm overpaid then? If the company can afford to pay the wages they are paying us now, and still make money, how do you determine that someone is overpaid or not? If someone is willing to do it for 15 an hour then that should be the wage?

People seem to think if you're not breaking your back then you're not worth the money.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:56 AM   #46
I don't get it

How about you jackasses figure out how to charge per stop on the skytrains and make zones work again?
That way not only could you generate enough income to sustain your wage heck you may even give yourself a raise!
I dont know of anywhere else in the world where you can travel such a great distance (richmond to surrey) for that little money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmokez View Post
This is not about how much the drivers make. To be honest, we are not even asking for more money. 1% increase is comical and no point even arguing about .

The issue is , on the back end that passengers and the public don't know about. Its issues that will directly affect the drivers working conditions.

Everyone always says we get paid etc too much. But, if you think we get paid too much you are more then welcome to apply! WE ARE HIRING!

You have to remember, we have taken concessions for the last 10 years! In a effort to help the company make ends meet. We even extended our contract by a year , because we didn't want to have bargaining during the plebiscite and during the new CEO etc.

Eventually, you have to ask yourself as a working individual when do we stop taking concessions? Enough is enough.

Just wanted to also point out, that we Also agreed to let them cut down over 250,000 hours! over the last 3 years. Again this was to help the company make budget quotas. Then I see news , of CEOS making Bonus's
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:58 AM   #47

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...de_2012-15.pdf

Page 52 and beyond provides wage schedules, seems to me they are compensated comparably with other city positions such as;

2015 Wages:
Asphalt Raker (LOL) - $27.99
Truck Driver (Most) - $29.16
Equipment Operator Class V (Highest Paid Operator, not sure what they actually operate) - $32.35

Ultimately it's not the 30$/hr, they also get pension, benefits, and vacation that eclipses much of the private sector - Refer to Section 8 of the collective agreement, if you work in the private sector (Anything other than corporate) I suspect your list of benefits is much shorter.

Such is the way with public employees.

If you want a giggle check out the collective agreement for Longshoremen ILWU 500, page 89 for 2016 rates.
http://ilwu500.org/wp-content/upload...-2010-2018.pdf
Highlights:
Regular Time - $40.56/hr
Holiday Pay - $81.12/hr

Pretty good pay for a union supporting a non-ticketed trade.

Makes you wonder why anyone doesn't go union lol.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Anyone who does a job for 40+ hours a week should be able to provide basic needs to live in my opinion, regardless of education. If the jobs important enough that it needs you full time, then you should be able to afford rent. That's more of a minimum wage issue than this thread though.

No one said anything about owning property.
Minimum wage is for children, it's not a living wage. If you don't make enough to live/rent in Vancouver you have to move east, period. Working 40 hours a week at X job doesn't entitle you to live in Van.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #49

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
On a separate rant, I don't really believe the wages are low so much as the taxes and cost of living is too high. The fact that real estate (also known as "peoples homes") has been pumped up by the government for a decade plus, essentially encouraging people to speculate on RE has really hurt everyone financially, at the end of the day the banks win that one, the next generation gets completely fucked.

These are essential positions, it's not really fair to have someone service an immediate area with an essential position and then not pay them enough to live there.. next thing you know were Saudi Arabia enslaving Indian expats in our two tier society.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...de_2012-15.pdf

Page 52 and beyond provides wage schedules, seems to me they are compensated comparably with other city positions such as;

2015 Wages:
Asphalt Raker (LOL) - $27.99
Truck Driver (Most) - $29.16
Equipment Operator Class V (Highest Paid Operator, not sure what they actually operate) - $32.35

Ultimately it's not the 30$/hr, they also get pension, benefits, and vacation that eclipses much of the private sector - Refer to Section 8 of the collective agreement, if you work in the private sector (Anything other than corporate) I suspect your list of benefits is much shorter.

Such is the way with public employees.

If you want a giggle check out the collective agreement for Longshoremen ILWU 500, page 89 for 2016 rates.
http://ilwu500.org/wp-content/upload...-2010-2018.pdf
Highlights:
Regular Time - $40.56/hr
Holiday Pay - $81.12/hr

Pretty good pay for a union supporting a non-ticketed trade.

Makes you wonder why anyone doesn't go union lol.
My best buddy is a member at Delta Port and the stuff he tells me is beyond ridiculous. Working graveyard for like $65 an hour with an hour of mandatory OT for nothing. Half the time he shows up at 1am and leaves after clocking in being paid for the whole shift. The amount of money the docks make must be insane to afford that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Minimum wage is for children, it's not a living wage. If you don't make enough to live/rent in Vancouver you have to move east, period. Working 40 hours a week at X job doesn't entitle you to live in Van.
Last time a went to McDonalds I saw more people in their 50s than teenagers. No one has to live in Vancouver but if you can't even afford rent in Maple Ridge there's a problem