REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 04-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Wedding photography recommendations

Anyone have any recommendations or referrals for a wedding photographer? Wedding/ceremony/reception will be all in one, back yard type of wedding looking for someone to do maybe 4-5 hours total of photos. Don't need anything crazy or lighting setups etc. just want to capture the day/night and a hand full of formal photos.

From quick searches I've seen prices anywhere from $1000 to $3500

Honestly, on Princible alone I'm not paying anyone $2000+ for 5 hours of
Photography. May sound ignorant to some but you aren't a lawyer for Goldman Sachs.

I know everything has a wedding markup, but if anyone has a recommendation or is someone who can do decent work at reasonable prices that would be great
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
Less than $2k? sorry but you are gonna have to the roll the dice on some newb on craigslist. If you want someone to show up with a cellphone, take 5 hours for photos, and then just had you the memory card, you might be able to do it for your budget. But the reality is they are showing up with 10-15K in gear, shooting for 5+hours, editing for 10+hrs, and have spent years learning the craft so they don't fuck it up

maybe look at what you might get : Here
Old 04-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77civic1200 View Post
IMO: taking those pics required skill and perfect timing

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
You need to up that to at least $4000 for anything decent for a wedding.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Check out Lovefrankly.com

might not be able to do it within your budget tho
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77civic1200 View Post
Less than $2k? sorry but you are gonna have to the roll the dice on some newb on craigslist. If you want someone to show up with a cellphone, take 5 hours for photos, and then just had you the memory card, you might be able to do it for your budget. But the reality is they are showing up with 10-15K in gear, shooting for 5+hours, editing for 10+hrs, and have spent years learning the craft so they don't fuck it up

Lol..is there any "profession" that overvalues their work as much as the photog? Honestly like making more than my fucking dentist makes an hour..really?

And how much $$$ in equipment they bring is irreverent. That's the job. We bring a $250,000 excavator to a job site so I better pass those costs along to the customer :/

Prices are rediculous imo for what people are offering in comparison to other costs related to the wedding, and that's saying a lot.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
The thing about wedding photography is not just about the gears, but the experience.

A seasoned pro wedding photographer knows where and when to be during a wedding to be memorable. Good wedding coverage basically walks one through a wedding based on a certain theme rather than just recording a few moments.

Any gearhead can drop by a wedding with over 10k+ in equipment, but they wouldn't know where to use those equipment.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

At the same time I get it. A Systems Admin job requires a lot of experience, typically with 6+ years of working in the IT field. They get $40-50 an hour ($80k-100k annual). Their work is extremely important and any mess-up can break a business/company.

Let's apply $50/hr to a photographer. You shoot a wedding for 6 hours, and edit for 20 hours (generous). $50*26 is still $1300.

If you pay a photographer $2500 for a wedding shoot, which seems to be the average price in Vancouver, that's $100 an hour. There is definitely a "wedding markup".
Old 04-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
I'll do it for you. $1999, RS special.

Spoiler!
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
The thing about wedding photography is not just about the gears, but the experience.

A seasoned pro wedding photographer knows where and when to be during a wedding to be memorable. Good wedding coverage basically walks one through a wedding based on a certain theme rather than just recording a few moments.

Any gearhead can drop by a wedding with over 10k+ in equipment, but they wouldn't know where to use those equipment.
yea.. like i get it and people photogs obviously pick and choose their spots as they arent making this money all day every day.. however, as i said in the OP, i have a hard time paying somone as much, and in some cases MORE than a 5-6 person catering company catering a 3-5 course meal for 100 people..

I'm kind of stuck in a spot as well because i dont want all the traditional BS photos of like the bride/groom getting ready, the vanity shots, etc. All i want are candid photos of the wedding itself, maybe a few from a very quick ceremony, and thats it. But for the most part the people i've talked to/enquired with basically have set packages for hours/photos, regardless of the situation.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #11
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageguy View Post
At the same time I get it. A Systems Admin job requires a lot of experience, typically with 6+ years of working in the IT field. They get $40-50 an hour ($80k-100k annual). Their work is extremely important and any mess-up can break a business/company.

Let's apply $50/hr to a photographer. You shoot a wedding for 6 hours, and edit for 20 hours (generous). $50*26 is still $1300.

If you pay a photographer $2500 for a wedding shoot, which seems to be the average price in Vancouver, that's $100 an hour. There is definitely a "wedding markup".
Most of the photogs I know/have seen aren't a one man show.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #12
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Most of the photogs I know/have seen aren't a one man show.
I've been looking for a wedding shoot as well, but I was not able to find any $2500ish that comes with 2 photographers. If you know any, care to share?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
And how much $$$ in equipment they bring is irreverent. That's the job. We bring a $250,000 excavator to a job site so I better pass those costs along to the customer :/.
Really? you don't think the wear and tear on your excavator comes out of the customers pocket?

Can I hire someone to dig some holes for $50/hr? I don't care about your transport time, or set up and take down, or the cost of your equipment, or your 10 yrs experience. They are just sitting there pulling on some levers. Sounds pretty easy.

See how dumb that sounds?
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #14
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageguy View Post

Uhh yeah... you are comparing one guy's salary to the cost a business charges, they are not the same.

$50/hour does not just go straight to the photographer, it's $50/hour less all the expenses to run a photography business - insurance, accounting, marketing, equipment, driving, you name it. The actual guy gets way less than that.

Then you need to further consider that there are like 4 months a year for weddings in BC - the rest of the time I am sure he will try to fill his days, but it will be much harder to earn income seeing as he is basically going to take odd photography jobs to try to fill his day.

You could argue that a guy who is just doing it for fun on the weekend for cash doesn't incur those costs, but then you are simply not hiring a professional, you are hiring a weekend warrior.

Maybe your wedding is worth taking a chance that you get poor photos, or worse yet, a chance that they don't even show. But don't worry, I'm sure your fiance will be fine with that as long as you got a deal...

Mark
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #15
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
My thinking is that photos and videos are the one tangible take away from the whole wedding experience. It's better to budget for it than cheap out on it because it's the one thing that will keep your memories alive.

Everything else is meh, except food, people will always remember the food.

That's why I had a large budget for it. To me it's well worth the "wedding markup" if the company is tried and tested. I don't agree with new to the business charging crazy amounts, but that's what you will get on the low end of the spectrum. Entryway people will charge $2500, and it would be a hit or miss, double that and get someone reputable.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
PM me if you like. My photography business partner and I do it. We aren't cheap like Craigslist photographer but will give you great value for your day. Good people giving our professional photography services to great people. Give me a message if your interested. When is the big day?

I always love the conversation around pricing of wedding photography. Good points all around here.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #17
I HERP TO YOU DERP

mananetwork if he still hangs around these forums
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #18
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Is it you who is marrying?

Well, first, congratulations!

Second, about your question:

My friend, a year or two ago, used:
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/fotodigio-studio-richmond

Fotodigio.

The owner, Raymond did it for $1,500 + extra printing fees (so, the print outs, etc. were extra, so it depends on what you want).

But, the time for Raymond to take pictures was $1,500 (includes photo editing).

You should inquire there.

I saw my friend's pictures are they were very, very good.

That guy has at least 10+ years of experience.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2016, 11:06 PM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
I'd be careful with photographer who charges printing fees.

Some of them would not give you the full resolution file; meaning you'd always have to go back to them if you ever want anything printed.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:54 PM   #20
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I'd be careful with photographer who charges printing fees.

Some of them would not give you the full resolution file; meaning you'd always have to go back to them if you ever want anything printed.
No no, he gave my friend the original CD disc with the $1,500 fee.

But, if you want enlargements, etc. or regular prints, he can do that too.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #21

Just wondering, what do you think is a reasonable price for what you want Hondaracer?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #22
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
As soon as the word "wedding" is involved the pricing for things seems to get ridiculous.

Using the suggested $4000, for 5 hours shooting and 10 hours editing that's $266/hour. Sure that's the charge out rate, not the wage, but that's more than the charge out rate for some engineers for crying out loud.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #23

Saying $xxxx amount is like saying, why does it cost so much to make a latte at Starbucks, or Hipster Coffee Company. A latte will cost you $4, but the cost of goods used it about $0.30. I think they must make $3.70 profit = Billions of $$$ profit per year! Wow, same as wedding photographers, you should see the house I live in!

/Sarcasm..

While I understand that there are people offering wedding photography services for a lot cheaper, they don't help out the photographer that is trying to make a living out of it. Example, if someone who does (whatever you do with an excavator worth the same $250,000 as you) that gives the same service, for less money with less experience would really kill your market, and hence your job.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #24
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
As soon as the word "wedding" is involved the pricing for things seems to get ridiculous.

Using the suggested $4000, for 5 hours shooting and 10 hours editing that's $266/hour. Sure that's the charge out rate, not the wage, but that's more than the charge out rate for some engineers for crying out loud.
Uhh you know $4000 will include a bunch of printing including an archive quality that can easily COST $400-500 to print right? This is not some stupid apple book... Also by your rationale of everything should be compared to an engineer I am very curious about how you justify pricing for athletes, movie stars, artists, or public personalities...

But yeah, go ahead and fail me, I don't know anything about business or the cost of sustainable pricing as an accountant and commercial banker. Idiot.

Mark
Old 04-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Uhh you know $4000 will include a bunch of printing including an archive quality that can easily COST $400-500 to print right? This is not some stupid apple book... Also by your rationale of everything should be compared to an engineer I am very curious about how you justify pricing for athletes, movie stars, artists, or public personalities...

But yeah, go ahead and fail me, I don't know anything about business or the cost of sustainable pricing as an accountant and commercial banker. Idiot.

Mark
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know I had to make comparisons to a variety of different fields with charge out rates before thinking that wedding photographers seem to be overcharging, my mistake. You're assuming that I think the pricing for athletes, movie stars etc is justified, when it's the complete opposite. Even if you knock off $500 worth of printing you're still well over $200/hr and I'm sorry but that sounds insanely high.

Since you're so concerned about being failed, I'll let you know it was for that last line of b/s in your post. That "but it's your wedding" fear mongering crap is why everything is so bloody overpriced as soon as the W word is mentioned, sure it's a once in a lifetime event but a lot of places seem to use that as an excuse to rip people off.

I'm also curious how you think commercial banking applies to photography, working as a wedding photographer isn't exactly a typical commercial business.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: