REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #26
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
What if you don't have collision and your old beater is a write off.
Would ICBC compensate in either case of "at fault" and "not at fault"
No. No collision coverage = no compensation.
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I understand that ICBC won't pay out on "at fault" claims as collision is under "own damages" meaning anything that you incurred to your "own" vehicle, they will not repair on your behalf.

But if claim was "not at fault", other party's liability insurance should be paying for the claim no?

my crapbucket

*ding* *ding* *ding* ...breast milk...you make my day-ee-yay!
evil_jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #28
private modder

In all claims (at fault and not-at-fault), your collision coverage pays for the repairs at first, then it gets charged back to the other driver's policy if you're not-at-fault.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Nevermind, answered above.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #30

Does that mean then if driver A didn't have collision coverage and get in a "not at fault" claim, driver B who then is "at fault" gets off scot-free from his liability insurance(given that there are no injuries involved) paying since there is nothing for that coverage to pay for. So basically only driver B's collision coverage will pay for his own vehicle?

my crapbucket

Old 05-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #31
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The incident occurred in BC, why would court be heard in AB?
Since the court is in the Province of the defendant's then they would be obliged to comply. More so, than if it was in BC.

For example, if you got a ticket in Seattle, would you care as much as if you had gotten a ticket here?

That was my logic behind it.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #32
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
In all claims (at fault and not-at-fault), your collision coverage pays for the repairs at first, then it gets charged back to the other driver's policy if you're not-at-fault.
my understanding is that you can have basic only, but if the other party is 100% at fault, their basic insurance will cover yours?

did this change recently?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #33
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_jigglypuff View Post
Does that mean then if driver A didn't have collision coverage and get in a "not at fault" claim, driver B who then is "at fault" gets off scot-free from his liability insurance(given that there are no injuries involved) paying since there is nothing for that coverage to pay for. So basically only driver B's collision coverage will pay for his own vehicle?
Nope. If driver B is at-fault, his insurance company has to pay for driver A's
damages regardless of if drive A has collision coverage or not. The penalty for driver B is he must pay his own collision deductible to repair his own vehicle and his premiums may go up because of the at-fault accident.

Collision covers you for your own vehicles damages regardless of fault. You just need to pay the deductible if its your fault.
rubadub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #34
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
my understanding is that you can have basic only, but if the other party is 100% at fault, their basic insurance will cover yours?

did this change recently?
You know, I always thought that was the case until some people without collision insurance started to get accidents. Insurance companies were denying claims left and right.

Apparently, no collision coverage, no compensation at all.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #35
private modder

sorry, I should clarify something. if you don't have collision coverage, and you are not-at-fault, JCBC may cover your damage if the other driver has ICBC mandatory basic 3rd party liability coverage. in the two examples mentioned in this thread, because the at-fault driver was from out-of-province and isn't insured by ICBC, that's why you need collision coverage, or the responsibility of seeking compensation from the other driver becomes your responsibility.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #36
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
sorry, I should clarify something. if you don't have collision coverage, and the other party is at fault, JCBC Will cover your damage if the other driver has ICBC mandatory basic 3rd party liability coverage. in the two examples mentioned in this thread, because the at-fault driver was from out-of-province and isn't insured by ICBC, that's why you need collision coverage, or the responsibility of seeking compensation from the other driver becomes your responsibility.
this sounds a lilttle better. so much misinformation in this thread. People should take a lot of the post on this thread with a grain of salt.
jack86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #37
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

never know you can opt out on collision coverage. so for the guys that dont buy collision coverage and if you hit a Ferrari, then you are fucked?
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #38

if you hit a Ferrari and you don't have collision coverage, you will be ok as long as you have third party liability which we do with all "basic" coverage. Gives you $200,000 coverage. you can purchase extended tpl from $500,000 to max of $5mil

my crapbucket

Old 05-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNT View Post
never know you can opt out on collision coverage. so for the guys that dont buy collision coverage and if you hit a Ferrari, then you are fucked?
Disclaimer: The following is not insurance advice.

Basiclly, we are in a common law province. so we look at it from the legality point of view when determining if one party if one party covers the repair cost of another.

for example, if it was I was in an accident with another vehicle and it was my fault. The other party doesn't need collision coverage because I am legally responsible to indemnify them(put them back where they were if there were no accident) .
So if I am legally liable, my 3rd party will cover THEIR cost.

Basiclly, My fault, they sue me, my 3rd party coverage protects me, assuming I did not violate the terms of my condition(which is where lawyer come in and make money fighting to see covered or not).

3rd party = cover other party, could be other vehicles, pedestrian, bicycle, even your passengers

Collision = Covers your own vehicle in an accident, whether you are at fault or not (some exceptions, such as hitting wild animal). inc hit and run.

Comprehensive - coverage is quite broad, but basically, vandalism, theft, flying object, plus bunch of other things including hitting WILD animal.

UMP - Excess under insured motorist protection - this cover YOU in the event of a car accident. I must clarify , it covers you and not your vehicle. We get $1mil when we have a BC driver's license, do don't even need to buy car insurance to have coverage.

Note: hit and run from other vehicles/motorcycle are covered with $750 deductible in BC. you don't need collision coverage (there are some fine prints)

TPL- Third party liability - min 200k, max 5 mil from icbc. Injury claims have skyrocketed in recent years. Like it or not, it will be here to stay. Before anyone say fraud, I must say there are many that are legit. And it adds up quite fast. Most million dollars claim is not due to pain and suffering, contrary to popular belief. It is due to loss of earnings or long term healthcare. General rule of thumb, the younger the victim, the more you pay.
For example, kill a 25 yrs old mechanic. loss of earnings would be like:
annual salary X Number of years left in career.
ex. $50k x 40 years (65 years retirement) = 2 MIl. kill 2 mechanic, 4 mil.
and that's only loss of earnings, add in pain and suffering, medical bill, their vehicles. And no, bankruptcy won't protect you from this.

But to answer OP's question,
Basically, sue in AB. if AB court ok, their AB insurance pay.
But you must think about the time/cost spent going after this guy to see if it is worth it. Or just use this as a lesson learned.

I'll try to answer your questions, feel free to ask.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #40

And I forgot to mention,

If you say you have 1 million TPL, and the other party have injuries and the ICBC lawyer estimated that the settlment is going to be between 1.3-1.8Mil.
ICBC is just going to cut a 1mil check to the other party, and you will have to pay for your own legal defence.
whereas, if ICBC thinks your TPL is enough to cover the cost of settlement, ICBC will pay for your defense.
So always good to have enough coverage, especially when you have a house or good job.
This post thanked by: