REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
ICBC New Vehicle Replacement Plus coverage

Is anyone here using this?

New Vehicle Replacement Plus coverage

Or can anyone recommend a 3rd party insurer that is better, or maybe cheaper?

The dealership I went to promotes this as an alternative to ICBC:

GAP PLUS Plans British Columbia | GAP PLus- Your number one provider for vehicle replacement protection; insuring your investment is safe

Comments/recommendations?
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

People at the dealerships get a bigger cut for selling the third party insurance. IMO its much better to pay alittle more and go with ICBC. If you do have an accident everything is in place if the vehicle hits 50% of the value. If you go with the third party insurance it can be alot of back and fourth BS.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
Depends on how much you trust your third party insurance but it may be cheaper than ICBC.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Depends on how much you trust your third party insurance but it may be cheaper than ICBC.
+1 on this, my friend works at Benz, and has a lease with them and insurance is through a 3rd party not ICBC.
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshift View Post
+1 on this, my friend works at Benz, and has a lease with them and insurance is through a 3rd party not ICBC.
I went with DriveSure and not ICBC, it was over 40% cheaper for replacement insurance for my new truck, and way cheaper than what Allwest was offering at the dealer.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
I went 3rd party when I got my Spec V, which ended up getting totaled. I don't remember any hassle when dealing with the insurance company to cover the payout.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I went 3rd party when I got my Spec V, which ended up getting totaled. I don't remember any hassle when dealing with the insurance company to cover the payout.
name of 3rd party?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 05-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Sorry, I can't remember. It was more than 12 years ago
It's whatever company Morrey Nissan was using. It may have been AllWest.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I bought a car recently and because our family's trusted insurance agent was on vacation I reluctantly used the dealership insurance agent, who happened to be from Allwest. Nice guy and all, but he said that my car was outside a certain rate class therefore I was unable to purchase the New Car Replacement coverage from ICBC. He then told me that since ICBC doesn't cover it, they can sell me GAP Plus plan. Since I planned on purchasing the ICBC one and I spend most of my time in Richmond it was a no-brainer. A few weeks later after my insurance agent came back I had him double check and sure enough it was available for my car from ICBC. Since ICBC worked out to be more expensive than the GAP Plus plan I let this issue go, or else it would've not pretty

tldr: fuck Allwest
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #10
Witness protection

isn't ^ fraud?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #11

All west agents lie. Bring you own agent to the dealership when you buy a car. Tell All-west to take a hike, if they pressure you tell the dealership the deal is off.
09' BMW 128I Coupe (E82) - FS
04' BMW M3 Coupe (E46) - SR
17' Acura MDX SUV (YD4) - SOLD
15' Acura RDX SUV (TB4) - SOLD
14' Acura ILX Sedan (DE1) - SOLD
04' Nissan Pathfinder LE SUV (R50) - SOLD
07 Infiniti FX35 SUV (S50) -SOLD
06' BMW 330i Sedan (E90) - SOLD
97' Acura 1.6EL Sedan (MB4) - SOLD
99' Honda Civic Hatch (EJ6) - SOLD
84' Pontiac Sunbird Coupe (J2000) - SOLD
Kalize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
isn't ^ fraud?
To be honest the thought crossed my mind that I should complain to ICBC and see where that goes. However, the money for the optional coverage came out to less than the ICBC one, so that made me feel a bit better and let it go.

Not in the mood to start a shitstorm now.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

The company we dealt with was Optiom Inc.
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubl3_H View Post
The company we dealt with was Optiom Inc.
have you had to use their coverage before for an accident claim?
Old 05-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i have Optiom as well. maybe like half a year ago I claimed some damage on my front bumper and the process was very easy and hassle free. Paid my deductible to ICBC and Optiom sent a check back to me a week later.
Kaolinite is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #16
retired

I've dealt with many claims for customers who had Optimum Inc/Ultima Risk Solutions. While I cant comment for their coverage for total losses (as I haven't done one before) they are good when it comes to covering for OEM parts (if you purchased that policy).

It's just a little more work for the repair shop to deal with, but it is overall headache free. They also have deductible reimbursement of up to $250. So most customers just up their collision/comp to $500 with ICBC.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Stick with icbc for vehicle replacement, if the value of the approved repair costs =16k and actual repair costs =15,200
Their adjusters will repair the fucking car instead.
Apparently Icbc adjusters would have wrote it off. I know by recent experience
They are very good at repairing and replacing after market parts though they didn't even ask for receipts , as long as it was on the car and damaged it was fixed /replaced
Old 05-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #18
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
most of my customers carry either optium, ultima risk or aviva for 3rd party coverage. as truenosan said its more work for the shop, but theres really no downside for the customer
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #19
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
I have optiom. Formally known as ultima risk solutions. It's 3 years OEM parts replacement and 4-5 years vehicle replacement when it's totalled
Old 05-18-2016, 04:54 AM   #20
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I also had a Spec V totalled and purchased third party coverage from Allwest. The policy was from St. Paul. It was a good deal because they also topped up your collision deductible so you could carry a higher deductible with icbc and save $100/year on your regular insurance. After their reimbursement you were left with a $200 deductible. A win on both ends.

In my case my vehicle wasn't even technically a write off. I didn't want it back and had icbc pay me repair value plus salvage. The third party coverage paid me out anyway.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #21
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Bumping this thread.

What are you guys paying per month and with which broker?

I recently upgraded to the 2022 Mazda 3 GT Turbo.

For six years with Optiom, it's $3007. $2500 for the base price and $507 referral fee. Roughly $500 a year.

Total loss benefit, partial loss using OEM parts, key fob reimbursement, $500 deductible reimbursement, and rental vehicle reimbursement.

My main insurance broker doesn't dabble in third party insurance, but he said that the policy seemed a bit pricy. He told me to shop around since my Optiom is still cancellable for another two weeks.

I was previously paying about $425 on my 2019 Mazda 3 GS through ICBC for just the new vehicle replacement, so it seemed reasonable at the time given the extra features and increase of my new vehicle's value. Now I'm having doubts whether or not I'm overpaying by a bit.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:36 PM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,719 Times in 890 Posts
How does this work? They give you a new car? But you can't get a new car or car parts lol

Never had the luxury of a new car
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:47 AM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
I have Optiom. Hopefully I never have to use it because apparently it's really hard to claim and they give you the run around. And you have to buy at the same dealership that you purchased from.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:08 PM   #24
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
How does this work? They give you a new car? But you can't get a new car or car parts lol

Never had the luxury of a new car
It's basically insurance where the company pay out the difference between what ICBC values the car at and MSRP of a current year equivalent of your vehicle.

This is the example they put in the policy notes.

You buy a New Vehicle for $60,000 from your Dealer, of which $50,000 is borrowed. You buy an OPTIOM PLUS Policy and your car is stolen one year later and not recovered. At the time your car is stolen, you still owe $45,000 to your Lender/Lessor. Your Primary Auto Insurer pays you $40,000. The MSRP Value of the Replacement Vehicle We Cover is $65,000. You will be entitled to a benefit of $25,000 comprised of a $5,000 payment to your Lender/Lessor to reduce the remaining balance and $20,000 to be applied as a credit through your Dealer towards the purchase/lease of a Replacement Vehicle We Cover. Also, if you paid a deductible to your Primary Auto Insurer we will reimburse you for this up to $500.

So the only thing that might suck is that you'll have to end up getting another vehicle from the same dealer. If you end up wanting something else I'd guess you'd have to take a hit and trade it in or something, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I have Optiom. Hopefully I never have to use it because apparently it's really hard to claim and they give you the run around. And you have to buy at the same dealership that you purchased from.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Yeah, I've read both bad and good things about people trying to do claims. Guess it's hit or miss which person does your claims, maybe.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote