REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Attended a Speed Syndicate / Revscene Trackday in my GT4! A Review. [w/ VIDEO]

Just spent an entire day lapping The Ridge with Revscene / The Speed Syndicate. The event was well organized, structured and safe. We got plenty of track time. Enough for me to learn the track a little, give the GT4 some stick and evaluate its performance and feel. By the end of the day, I didn't want to go out any longer even though the track was still open. This is always a good sign.

The circuit was absolutely amazing. I had more fun here than I did at Laguna Seca. It is not the fastest by any means, and certainly not as fast as when I drove at COTA but it is fast enough to be thrilling, has lots of devious elevation changes and crafted masterfully with rhythm and flow. It also hides many corner entries which makes fast lapping a game of both commitment and precision. It is easy on the brakes. Even though I got faster during the course of the day, I braked less and less. Apart from the very last corkscrew sector, it is a classy momentum track which rewards smoothness, commitment and the right line(s). Started the day in Group B, but after a session on my own and a few laps following Kalson and his Exige around, moved up to A. Group B is very friendly to beginners and appropriate for all levels of cars. If you've never done this before and wish to try, this is a great place to start. Kalson showed good leadership throughout. He set newbies up with instructors and set very strict and clear rules on passing which I saw being observed in both groups. It was a well run event and everyone I spoke to was friendly and approachable. I would only endorse something if I believe in it, and I believe in what Kalson is doing with these TSS/Revscene track days.

I actually learned a lot from the less powerful cars driven by the experienced drivers (like Kevin Young in his Integra Type R) because those guys know how to conserve momentum and brake minimally. Kevin is a great driver, I could tell right away. The Ridge is technical and challenging. Every session that I went out, I learned something on my own or learned something from following others and watching what they do well. I had a lot of fun chasing a fellow GT4 owner and WA local Herrick around in his Guards Red GT4! Even though he's got my nemesis color, Herrick showed me some fast lines in turn 1/2/3 sector. Aside from him, John in an orange 997 GT3RS was an absolute monster, as was another driver in a 991 GT3 from WA. Also, hats off to the swiftly driven S2K and Miata which were driving together and both absolutely going for it. I pointed you two by as soon as you appeared. Impressive to watch you guys! You were both flying. You on here?

My video review is above, please turn up the sound to get the full experience. I put some extra effort into getting a good exhaust recording without clipping. Hope you like it!

As for the GT4, it held up extremely well. I got zero brake fade. The tires did not roll over on their sides and the wear was exceedingly modest, despite some pretty solid sessions. Given how badly I've cooked stock BMW tires after even a brief track session, I would say that the GT4 just shrugged and told me to forget about it. People were mature, car came home safe and I had a lot of fun. Couldn't ask for a better weekend than that. Thank you Kalson and other Revscene people who put this together.

Who's tracked their cars so far? What were your experiences? Would you consider coming out with us next time?

Sam
Advertisement
driveopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
GT4 so over rated

Good video though
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I'll come hopefully this summer but I'm heading to the Vancouver Island Motorsport Resort for a couple of days tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it goes
20psi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Already signed up for July 3rd. See you there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
I got a clip of you power sliding outta turn 12!! you can check it out at the other thread.
!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
GT4 so over rated

Good video though
You'll find out when you get yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20psi View Post
I'll come hopefully this summer but I'm heading to the Vancouver Island Motorsport Resort for a couple of days tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it goes
For sure! Brody Goble was just telling me about it. He says it's awesome. Would love to hear your impressions when you return. Are you member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Already signed up for July 3rd. See you there?
Awesome! Were you there in your 86 this past weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Kodamu View Post
I got a clip of you power sliding outta turn 12!! you can check it out at the other thread.
Hey, were you in the Miata behind me, who was driving with the S2K? You got skills!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
the s2k guy is a local WA guy
!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
the s2k guy is a local WA guy
I just watched your video. Nice driving!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driveopolis View Post

Awesome! Were you there in your 86 this past weekend?
Yup I was there with my bone stock blue FRS haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Here's a better look at a couple of the powerslides from inside. I have to admit... I love those two corners.

This post thanked by: