REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   speeders electric karts (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708806-speeders-electric-karts.html)

Eff-1 05-12-2016 09:04 AM

speeders electric karts

Is this place new? I've never heard of it before. Anyone been?

Vancouver

dat_steve 05-12-2016 09:28 AM

the commercials are pretty annoying.

"INSTANT TORQUE!!...more POWER" /90's hotwheels car commercial voice

Dragon-88 05-12-2016 09:37 AM

I was just here on Tuesday. I've got to say it was quite enjoyable for the fact they were electric karts..

Lap times are around 22-25secs/ 14 laps/race. Track is very wide for good passing and some great racing. Clean environment for those who are picky. Track marshalls are on their game, if they notice you're fast they will make sure to let the slower cars know that you will be passing (with signs).

I believe karts are limited to 55kph till you do a minimum 10 races, i'm not 100% sure but I was told by a friend and when I was racing I did notice for sure it was slower than usual. I didn't need to use the brake at all unless I was doing a passing maneuver, so this basically told me we were speed limited to ~55kph. Electric motor, so you dont need to use the brakes much or at all as when you're off the gas you can feel the motor already slowing down the kart.. This made for much smoother cornering and you could really use up the whole track to gain some speed.

They also go by lap times and not by position. So even if you're in the front, if you don't have the fastest time you wont win.

All in all, I had a really good experience there.

swfk 05-12-2016 09:44 AM

From friends they've all said it's a waste of money if you're looking for TBC kinda fun.

Karts are slow and understeer. Karts are all limited until 10 races as Dragon-88 mentioned. That's a lot of money till you get full power.

In other news, Richmond Go Karts now has TBC's old karts. Gonna try that instead

Dragon-88 05-12-2016 09:55 AM

I did enjoy TBC also, but that place lacks in track prep imo. The width of the track really sucks, you find yourself having to always bump people to pass.(You aint racing till you're rubbing).

Speeders is pretty strict right now with bumping and hitting walls, mainly probably because the Karts are so new and they are trying to preserve them. I mean no one likes driving a shitty beat up kart.

CorneringArtist 05-12-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swfk (Post 8755154)
From friends they've all said it's a waste of money if you're looking for TBC kinda fun.

Karts are slow and understeer. Karts are all limited until 10 races as Dragon-88 mentioned. That's a lot of money till you get full power.

In other news, Richmond Go Karts now has TBC's old karts. Gonna try that instead

Did Richmond Go Karts a while back as part of a company function. They're speed limited to ~60km/h, and they're all not "adjusted" the same, so you have to remember numbers as to not end up with a slow kart (I'm heavier and have passed people smaller than me who had a shitty kart). That said it's way better than it was before given how the course has more room than TBC.

meme405 05-12-2016 11:08 AM

Yeah I was here like a month ago. 10 races (which would be like 150 bucks worth of racing) before you can get to use the carts full power.

Until you do that your only going to manage like 29 second lap times.

Track configuration is also pretty boring, similar to TBC, but not as good.

Dragon-88 05-12-2016 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8755177)
Yeah I was here like a month ago. 10 races (which would be like 150 bucks worth of racing) before you can get to use the carts full power.

Time to step up your racing game.. I got a 22 sec best lap time, averaging 23 secs.

Racing Name: Hit & Run

S1 S2 05-12-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 8755173)
Did Richmond Go Karts a while back as part of a company function. They're speed limited to ~60km/h, and they're all not "adjusted" the same, so you have to remember numbers as to not end up with a slow kart (I'm heavier and have passed people smaller than me who had a shitty kart). That said it's way better than it was before given how the course has more room than TBC.

I had a similar experience except I was the person getting passed haha. Gonna give it another try if they have new carts. :badpokerface:

Jgresch 05-12-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8755184)
Time to step up your racing game.. I got a 22 sec best lap time, averaging 23 secs.

Racing Name: Hit & Run

I'm running 10 seconds flat

SpeedStars 05-12-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8755177)

Was it 10 races or 10 laps? When I went I felt like I had full power for the last 4 laps of the race. Kinda weird they don't give it to you earlier so you can improve your time easier. I got 23.200 as my best time though during last lap ResidentSleeper. Tbc still seems more fun imo

jjson 05-12-2016 02:09 PM

I believe it's full power after 5 laps. My quickest lap was high 22 seconds. The karts are way too bouncy in corners too. I think people on here will enjoy TBC more. Revving out a gas kart has a very different feel compared to the electric ones.

Dragon-88 05-12-2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjson (Post 8755237)
I believe it's full power after 5 laps. My quickest lap was high 22 seconds. The karts are way too bouncy in corners too. I think people on here will enjoy TBC more. Revving out a gas kart has a very different feel compared to the electric ones.

Actually your very first 5 laps are capped at 20-30kph. They mention this as they want you to get used to the track and the kart before you start going all out..

Its very similar to when you rent exotics in Vegas, they get you to short shift until they know your comfort level and then go all out after a few laps.

meme405 05-12-2016 04:33 PM

Wait what, so I got full power?

I'm so confused, the chick clearly said you only get full power after your first 10 races, which led me to believe I never got full power.

They did definitely give me more juice after the first couple sighting laps, but it still felt slow, if that was full power mode, then this place sucks, don't waste your time. lol

pintoBC_3sgte 05-12-2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8755267)

I'm so confused, the chick clearly said you only get full power after your first 10 races, which led me to believe I never got full power.

They did definitely give me more juice after the first couple sighting laps, but it still felt slow, if that was full power mode, then this place sucks, don't waste your time. lol

If it's the same as speeders in Calgary then you are correct in not having full power carts until after 10 races.

twitchyzero 05-12-2016 10:45 PM

will wait for rainy weather to try
do they have certain night of the week with promos?

Quote:

anyone know how to tell which ones are TBC's retired units? I miss outdoor circuits like F440 without having to drive hours away

Shorn 05-12-2016 11:26 PM

Tried it a couple of weeks ago, I only knew about the reduced power for the first couple of laps, didn't know it was for 10 races..

Honestly I still prefer gas karts (the smell, revving, everything), and the fact that they make you sign up for a membership is pretty lame

CorneringArtist 05-13-2016 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8755374)
will wait for rainy weather to try
do they have certain night of the week with promos?

anyone know how to tell which ones are TBC's retired units? I miss outdoor circuits like F440 without having to drive hours away

IIRC, you pay a little more to use the TBC karts. They have their own area, and look close to TBC's updated models.

Dragon-88 05-13-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8755267)

You got medium power, full power is after 10 races.. So basically you went 55kph, full power is 70kph.

swfk 05-13-2016 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8755374)

I believe they had chrome roll bars. Should be easy to tell. If anything just ask the track guy

meme405 05-13-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8755424)
You got medium power, full power is after 10 races.. So basically you went 55kph, full power is 70kph.

this would explain why my times were so much slower than what others have posted.

I'm pretty bad, but not that bad...

IINur 05-13-2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8755424)

Got 23.xxx and was looking at "best of the week times" that were all 21.xxx thinking "what the...how the...". Makes sense now.

Went to Richmond Go Karts today - they'll have my money again. Much more fun, cheaper, no sign up bs and no guy showing me "use brakes" signs on the track that requires none

E-40six 05-14-2016 07:32 AM

I went there last month and was quite disappointed. Speeders isn't much racing as it is hot lapping.

I'll agree that its clean and well lit, but if you're looking for a fun time racing your friends, Speeders isn't the place because they'll automatically slow down one of the cars to let you pass instead of letting you go all senna/schumacher on your buddy.

granemo 05-14-2016 04:01 PM

I quite like Speeders. Me and my go-karting buddies race for the best time, not who's ahead of the pack so that's perfect for us. It's really fun trying to shave off that millisecond on each turn in those grippy karts.

epau88 05-15-2016 07:48 PM

Hi guys, I'm Edwin and I'm one of the managers from SPEEDERS. A friend of mine told me about this thread going around so I thought I would come say hi and answer any questions you may have!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dat_steve (Post 8755147)
the commercials are pretty annoying.

"INSTANT TORQUE!!...more POWER" /90's hotwheels car commercial voice

Haha! Got your attention though right? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8755153)
I was just here on Tuesday. I've got to say it was quite enjoyable for the fact they were electric karts..

Lap times are around 22-25secs/ 14 laps/race. Track is very wide for good passing and some great racing. Clean environment for those who are picky. Track marshalls are on their game, if they notice you're fast they will make sure to let the slower cars know that you will be passing (with signs).

I believe karts are limited to 55kph till you do a minimum 10 races, i'm not 100% sure but I was told by a friend and when I was racing I did notice for sure it was slower than usual. I didn't need to use the brake at all unless I was doing a passing maneuver, so this basically told me we were speed limited to ~55kph. Electric motor, so you dont need to use the brakes much or at all as when you're off the gas you can feel the motor already slowing down the kart.. This made for much smoother cornering and you could really use up the whole track to gain some speed.

They also go by lap times and not by position. So even if you're in the front, if you don't have the fastest time you wont win.

All in all, I had a really good experience there.

We're glad to hear you had a good time! We keep our staff busy by cleaning the facility and the track everyday. This is standard practice for us across all 3 of our locations.

Good tip for new drivers! You are correct - smooth is fast so letting off the throttle before turning helps slow down the kart.

Quote:

Well, you would have to define "fun". Getting t-boned at high speeds or being bumped around is not "fun". I won't comment on other tracks. Our karts do drive differently than your traditional gas powered karts. Letting off your throttle sooner would transfer weight to the front wheels allowing you to corner smoother and faster. It's interesting to note that you state the karts are slow yet you've never driven them. If you change your mind and want to come check us out, come ask for myself and I'll take care of you! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8755227)
Was it 10 races or 10 laps? When I went I felt like I had full power for the last 4 laps of the race. Kinda weird they don't give it to you earlier so you can improve your time easier. I got 23.200 as my best time though during last lap ResidentSleeper. Tbc still seems more fun imo

Drivers are running sub 22 second lap times on the same speed setting (Race Speed). Karts are electric - think Tesla, instant torque, instant pick up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorn (Post 8755389)
Tried it a couple of weeks ago, I only knew about the reduced power for the first couple of laps, didn't know it was for 10 races..

Honestly I still prefer gas karts (the smell, revving, everything), and the fact that they make you sign up for a membership is pretty lame

For the general public, Race Speed is plenty of power, plenty of torque and acceleration. Pro Speed is simply the next level for serious racers who want to race at our highest level. Pro Speed races actually have its own leaderboard so the racers you see on your sheet were all running Race Speed.

I'm not sure why you think it's a membership. We do not ask for your bank account or credit card information for a renewal. It's simply a one time purchase that's good for a year which comes with many perks. We provide clean laundered headsocks, clean helmets with visors, and a free digital locker system to put your stuff away. $15 should not make or break anyone in the Motorsports world especially when it comes to something that is good for a year and comes with a free race on your birth month ($20 value).

Quote:

Originally Posted by IINur (Post 8755637)
Got 23.xxx and was looking at "best of the week times" that were all 21.xxx thinking "what the...how the...". Makes sense now.

Went to Richmond Go Karts today - they'll have my money again. Much more fun, cheaper, no sign up bs and no guy showing me "use brakes" signs on the track that requires none

Use brakes sign only comes out as a reminder for the general public to slow down for the corners so they don't wipe out 2 laps into the race. Our signs are more as a friendly reminder and tips for new drivers.

We also change our track every 3-4 months to keep the experience fresh even for seasoned pro's. We love to take ideas and suggestions from our customers for new track changes - there are a lot of combinations and possibilities that we can do with the space that we have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-40six (Post 8755706)
I went there last month and was quite disappointed. Speeders isn't much racing as it is hot lapping.

I'll agree that its clean and well lit, but if you're looking for a fun time racing your friends, Speeders isn't the place because they'll automatically slow down one of the cars to let you pass instead of letting you go all senna/schumacher on your buddy.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the wow factor many of our customers experience. Ask for myself next time and I'll take care of ya. Best lap time wins because how is it fair for the 10th guy coming out of the pits to have to fight his way through traffic to finish first? This takes away the rough play and really puts driver skill to test since we pride ourselves on having a consistent fleet. If you ever visit any of our other older locations, you will see even our regular racers can hop into any kart and be able to set track records.

Quote:

Originally Posted by granemo (Post 8755776)
I quite like Speeders. Me and my go-karting buddies race for the best time, not who's ahead of the pack so that's perfect for us. It's really fun trying to shave off that millisecond on each turn in those grippy karts.

Thanks for your kind comments! I'm glad to hear you guys had a blast.