REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Nissan to take control of Mitsubishi Motors

NEWS: Nissan to take control of Mitsubishi Motors | Japanese Nostalgic Car

Quote:
Breaking news from Japan tonight: Nissan has agreed to take a 34 percent controlling stake in Mitsubishi Motors in a deal worth $2.2 billion, according to Bloomberg. It is now the single largest shareholder in the beleaguered automaker, even larger than than parent company Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, which owns 20 percent.

Mitsubishi has been hurting since their last scandal in 2004 regarding covering up customer complaints. In the last few years, a large amount of talent has jumped ship and the recent revelation of Mitsubishi Motors’ cheating on fuel economy has only shortened the noose.

Since April 19th, when the scandal came to light — which, incidentally, was brought to the attention of the Japanese government by Nissan, so conspiracy theorists start your engines! — its stock has plummeted 43 percent and orders for new cars have fallen as much as 51 percent. CEO Osamu Masuko stated that Mitsubishi Motors hopes to sort out these issues on their own without involving any of the other Mitsubishi Group companies in this issue.

It now appears that the solution is Nissan, who will benefit from Mitsubishi’s kei car expertise (currently, all of Nissan’s kei cars are rebadged Mitsubishis and Suzukis) and it reach in regions like southeast Asia. In fact, domestic sales are only 10 percent of Mitsubishi’s total business. The majority of their sales go to southeast Asia where cars like the Mirage are very popular.

It will be interesting to see how this consolidation from two major players in the Japanese auto industry play out. Almost exactly one year ago, Toyota and Mazda also entered into a technology sharing partnership. Juggernauts are being created, and the message to other Japanese automakers might be to merge or get left behind.

The Nissan-Mitsubishi deal will be formally signed May 25.
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

This probably won't affect us at all in the short term.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #3
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
gtr engine in a lancer.

wheres timpo at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
hell with that.... gtr drivetrain in a mirage
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

I am guessing this is Mitsu's way of 'saving face' and form of compensation to Nissan for fixing fuel consumption figures on K-cars manufactured for them.
plat27265 is offline   Reply With Quote