REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   any advice on how to repair bad credit? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708813-any-advice-how-repair-bad-credit.html)

doritos 05-12-2016 05:11 PM

any advice on how to repair bad credit?

Hello guys, I am getting married in about a year. I have been wanting to repair my credit to start off a fresh life with my future wife to be and start a family.

My question is, has anyone gone through a rough patch and gotten bad credit from the past? I am seeking a program but a little bit weary about how legitimate they are and one of the programs I just spoke to a rep there is creditcanada.net.

Anyone have other advice and suggestions how I can fix my credit score from the use of credit cards? I have been seeking help for a while and turning my bad habits around. We've all made mistakes in the past and unfortunately for me this was what caused me to have financial troubles.

GabAlmighty 05-12-2016 05:17 PM

Buy everything on a card and pay it off at the end of every month/as you go?

Razor Ramon HG 05-12-2016 05:21 PM

Only way to repair bad credit is to pay off any outstanding debt and making your monthly payments on time. Having a low utilization rate and not making many credit checks in a short period also helps.

doritos 05-12-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 8755277)
Only way to repair bad credit is to pay off any outstanding debt and making your monthly payments on time. Having a low utilization rate and not making many credit checks in a short period also helps.

yes I have paid off my debts. Just the credit reports have not updated and does not show my debt being paid off. I have been paying everything on time. So i am wondering if these programs actually help boost credit or just a cash grab to pay 499$ and installments for the "loans" or good rating they say they will update your report every two weeks.

murd0c 05-12-2016 06:19 PM

your credit reports will update 7 years after the last payment, if everything has been paid off then you have to wait until the statue of limitations is up

Nlkko 05-12-2016 06:39 PM

You do not need any credit repair help program. Do the following:

1. Pay every single cent off your bill (including credit card bill) at the end of every month. Easily achieved by setting up automatic withdrawal.
2. Do not carry too many active credit cards. 1 or 2 is fine.
3. Keep your utilization rate at maximum 30%.
4. Check your credit report statement and dispute any misinformation. Your job is to make sure the credit bureaus (Transunion and Equifax) have your correct and most up to date info. They do make mistakes.

That's it. It will take time to repair and you will see solid improvement after 6 months to a year. You will not get the best score until your previous bad credit items have fallen off (7 years). There is no need to check every month. Check every half year or so.

tiger_handheld 05-12-2016 08:33 PM

+1 to Nikko's advise.

Save that $400 for your wedding.

Mr.HappySilp 05-12-2016 11:37 PM

Funny thing when I apply for a mortgage last year I couldn't get one I have an outstanding balance with kudo. Anyways I remember getting a plan with in like 6 or 7 years ago ago or so but I only used it for like 3 days and then return the phone to the store. I got to the kudo store and they can't pull my account at all. I was pretty piss too even calling their customer service was no help (guess it was too long?) couldn't get them to do a thing.

They search my name, address etc etc but I didn't show up on their system. I was pretty piss so I got to the point where I told the other guy on the phone that if they can't found my record that means I owe them nothing and because of their error report I am going to get Transunion and Equifax to remove it. The other guy on the line said no coz I owe them but they can't found my account or much come I owe them. This got up their higher ups and it turns out I owe them $3.50. Fucking $3.50 and as they explain since the amount was so small they didn't send me any invoice plus I cancel my account within a few days so no invoice was issued. I was piss lol. For $3.50 I now have a record on my credit report for not paying Kudo past 90 days. I paid it off right away but it still remains on my credit report saying I didn't pay Kudo past 90days or something like that.

So yea if you do open any accounts and close it make sure you get the remaining balance and have the last bill sent to you stating you paid it off.

4444 05-13-2016 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8755395)
Funny thing when I apply for a mortgage last year I couldn't get one I have an outstanding balance with kudo. Anyways I remember getting a plan with in like 6 or 7 years ago ago or so but I only used it for like 3 days and then return the phone to the store. I got to the kudo store and they can't pull my account at all. I was pretty piss too even calling their customer service was no help (guess it was too long?) couldn't get them to do a thing.

They search my name, address etc etc but I didn't show up on their system. I was pretty piss so I got to the point where I told the other guy on the phone that if they can't found my record that means I owe them nothing and because of their error report I am going to get Transunion and Equifax to remove it. The other guy on the line said no coz I owe them but they can't found my account or much come I owe them. This got up their higher ups and it turns out I owe them $3.50. Fucking $3.50 and as they explain since the amount was so small they didn't send me any invoice plus I cancel my account within a few days so no invoice was issued. I was piss lol. For $3.50 I now have a record on my credit report for not paying Kudo past 90 days. I paid it off right away but it still remains on my credit report saying I didn't pay Kudo past 90days or something like that.

So yea if you do open any accounts and close it make sure you get the remaining balance and have the last bill sent to you stating you paid it off.

so, you are piss

dat_steve 05-13-2016 07:39 AM

yeah it's not so much "repairing" as much as it is "rebuilding"

Ikkaku 05-13-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8755412)
so, you are piss

Not just any normal piss. A pretty piss, or at least was.

swiftshift 05-13-2016 10:11 AM

Secure Visa, and go from there

Secure Visa is where you give the bank minimum of $500~ whatever limit you can afford
In which they will give you a visa card for that amount they have on hold, usually toward GIC however the amount of interest you earn will not be that high.

xjc11 05-13-2016 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe lose the Aston and stop going out too much?
Spoiler!

Mr.Money 05-13-2016 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 8755277)

my family member works in the banking sector...this is most important,it effects your credit score if you miss a payment.

mr_chin 05-16-2016 12:04 PM

1. How did you damage your credit? Settlements? Collection agency? Bankruptcy?
If it falls under any of these, then the only thing you can do now is just keep paying on time.

2. How many credit cards do you have?
If you only have 1, try to open another one in a year or so if your answer to #1 is any of the answer listed. When you have a lot of credit available, it will increase your credit score. This is called debt to credit ratio. The less debt you have versus the higher credit limit, the better.

3. What is your spending habit on your credit card?
If you're always maxing out your balance, it could be viewed as a negative thing to lenders. Try to keep as little as possible on your credit card.