REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I drove a GT3RS... come check it out at Diamond Rally tomorrow! [VIDEO]

What. A. Beast.

I put together this video review to share the experience and to spread the word about my good friend Manoj Raval's charity. Manoj is raising money for colorectal cancer care at St. Paul's hospital using his GT3RS at the 2016 Diamond Rally. That's the reason for his car's sick livery. The Diamond Rally is tomorrow, May 13th and everyone is welcome at the public kickoff event at Brian Jessel BMW from 8am to 10am when the cars depart. Revscene's very own saucywoman is going to be there as well. I'll be participating in my driveopolis GT4. Come say Hi!

Is anyone else from RS attending? Would love to check in with you tomorrow.

You can find out more about the Faith Hope Love charity at the link below and consider making a donation. I'm behind it because it's a good cause and all of the proceeds go directly into the hospital with no overhead.

Faith Hope Love

Now, about that GT3RS...

The GT3RS has a truly sensational drivetrain experience. The way its engine revs and sounds as it hurls you towards the horizon is both thrilling and life affirming. Based on what I experienced so far, everything I love about the regular 991 GT3 is taken up a notch in the RS. However, I would not say that the driving experience is massively different on the street. I expect that when speeds increase and you have more room to explore on a circuit, the additional power, aerodynamics and grip will become apparent. But on the street, less so. I fully appreciate the exclusivity and the looks though. It's more mean and purposeful with the wider tires, taller sidewalls and staggered rear wheels fully stuffed into the wheel arches. It has so much presence and that big wing actually impvoves visiblity out the rear glass.

Comparisons with the GT4:

1. Engine
The 3.8 in the GT4 sounds great on its own and actually sounds louder than both the 3 and 3RS at lowish revs. I heard this inside the cabin and my camera crew also pointed this out as I drove by them repeatedly from the outside in each car. However, when the 3RS is unleashed, the decibel level spears through the roof and it sounds like nothing else I've ever experienced. It's a screaming, shrieking buzzsaw of a motor and my vocabulary is inept at describing the way it sounds at full song. Please watch my video for the full effect. The closest I can compare this to is an inline four sportbike and I made this same description when I first set foot in the regular 991 GT3. However, the RS serves this particular dish even more savagely.

If not overshadowed by the high rev screamers in the GT3 and 3RS, the GT4 engine is actually superb. It makes solid torque, revs with authority and is shouty and boisterous. But put even the best of engines against an RS and it can't help but fall a bit short in drama and savagery. The GT3/3RS sisters win in the engine department, hands down.

2. Steering and Chassis
What I love most about the Porsche GT cars is that they have always allowed the inherent nature of their chassis' to show through. This means that GT3 and 3RS feel ass-engined without any apparent attempt to smother or sanitize the experience, unlike the regular Carreras. Their rear-wheel-steering makes turn-in sweeter without taking the experience away and I really appreciate that. The 3RS feels a lot like the regular GT3 in the bends. This means the front end is very light and pointy, you need to work the wheel a tad to get the front end settled as you load up the tires and when all that's sorted out, you roll hard on the throttle and eject yourself on to the straight using all of that juicy rear traction. Then you're delighted by the sound and savagery of that gorgeous powertrain. Once you figure out how this works, you can't help but do it over and over. It is thoroughly addictive and hugely satisfying.

The GT4 on the other hand is more point and shoot. It's more intuitive to drive, requires a less specialized technique and lets you take corners in a range of styles. It's more progressive and forgiving and feels like an extension of your body, so good is its human and machine interface. You 'think' it around corners. The car's mass rotates perfectly around the driver and its CG feels a tad lower than the RS. It rails around corners with the grip running right along the outside edges of the car and it does this immediately from turn in. No muss, no fuss. It is brilliantly precise and feels laser guided in all of its responses.

I couldn't think of any better way to make a car handle. What a peach. What a total sweetheart. I love driving the GT3 for the engine, but I love driving the GT4 for the chassis.

Because of its perfection, some will say they prefer the mid-engined character as it is indeed less messy and technically superior. Me, I think it's two different flavours to achieve the same purpose of going around corners quickly and confidently. In either car, you're fully involved and submersed in the mechanical experience. The 911 needs more work but that is part of the appeal. I give them a near tie in what I like better overall, but I think I will need to become a better driver to fully exploit the GT3/3RS. The GT4 is much easier to enjoy right away.

Also worthy of note is that despite having the same front suspension and steering calibration, the two cars have different steering feel. The GT4's is a touch heavier and more muscular -- some of you will love this -- but the GT3/3RS have a shade more feedback and delicacy. The GT4 you steer more with your arms; the GT3/3RS you steer more with your fingertips. The difference is subtle, but once you spend a bit of time going back and forth between the two, it's very tangible. This makes sense as the 911 just has less weight on its front axle, which contributes to this light pointy feel. I think I give the nod to the GT3/3RS on this one.

3. Transmission and Gearing
I'm a hardcore manual guy. I will take the 3 pedal just about every time and the GT4 has one of the best gearboxes in existence. The gearstick is an easy reach away from the steering wheel, the throws are rifle bolt short and crisply mechanical. All of the control weights and placements are precisely calibrated and a model of engineering perfection. It is splendidly fun to row through the gears. It also comes with optional rev-match downshifts which bridge the gap to the PDK.

Where the PDK really blows me away is in the upshifts. In both the GT3 and the RS they are so blazing fast and so lacking in interruption that you only hear the shifts rather than feel them. The sound is an angry mechanical burp as you burn through the rev range. I'm still a manual guy, but if there's ever a car to woo me with its PDK, the 3 and 3RS are it. Between the manic engine and the shorter gears, the RS makes the full 9krpm experience so accessible.

In my time driving these cars, I did not detect any difference in shift speed or feel between the 3 and the 3RS. If there is a difference, I did not feel it.

Overall, I still have more fun and feel more involved in the GT4's manual box. And while we've heard just about every reviewer complain about its tall gearing, I think these comments are well overblown. My previous car, the 997.1 GT3, had gears that were equally as tall and I don't recall anyone making a fuss about it back then. Also, many other cars of this type like the NSX had tall gearing and we enjoyed them happily. I think short gearing has become a 'thing' recently thanks to PDK and its additional forward gears, making it easy to lower gearing without sacrifice. Either that, or people have so little to complain about on the GT4 that the gearing is the only thing they could muster up. I'm not sure, but I don't really care.

I think both the PDK-S on the GT3/3RS and the manual gearbox on the GT4 have their pros and cons and will have their proponents, but I'm going with the manual on this one. Bring on the next generation 991.2 GT3 with an optional manual... I know which one I'd choose.

If you missed it, my GT4 videos are below. Hope to see some of you at the rally tomorrow.

Advertisement
driveopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
neat

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
rad
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,239 Times in 2,355 Posts
coolio
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,153 Posts
fab
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
RS Licensed Vendor

Gnarly
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
whoa
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

dayam
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

noice.
jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
deece.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
werd
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #12
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

banana.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #14
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,792 Times in 3,326 Posts
diuuuu.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
wat

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:07 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
huh.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #17
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Rectal
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
baus

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
sick
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #20
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,419 Times in 255 Posts
indubitably
j.f0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #21
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
suhhhhh
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #22
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

k
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #23
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,239 Times in 571 Posts
coo
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #24
Revscene.net has a homepage?!