REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Ford Shelby GT350, anyone? My first muscle car review! [VIDEO] (https://www.revscene.net/forums/708980-ford-shelby-gt350-anyone-my-first-muscle-car-review-%5Bvideo%5D.html)

driveopolis 05-24-2016 11:19 AM

Ford Shelby GT350, anyone? My first muscle car review! [VIDEO]

I’ve just completed my first American muscle car review! The Ford Shelby GT350 has been on my radar for some time and recently a kind viewer offered his own personal GT350 for me to drive and review. The full video review is above.

Like many of my European and Japanese car enthusiast friends (and you lot), I’ve always been skeptical of American muscle cars. I had considered them too cumbersome, too heavy and too one dimensional to be a legitimate alternative to the best driver’s cars from Europe and Japan. My opinion changes as of now, because the Shelby GT350 is one fantastic driver’s car.

Its 5.2 litre, flat plane crank, naturally aspirated, high-rev V8 is the jewel in the GT350 experience. It revs freely, makes an amazing noise and propels you towards the horizon with 526 healthy horsepower. Burning through its rev range while grabbing manual shifts in its 6 speed gearbox is an experience to behold. And contrary to the age old muscle car stereotype, the GT350 can take corners too. Its steering is light and responsive, hiding its approximately 3700 pounds exceptionally well. Its suspension is well damped and extremely European in feel. All of its primary controls are well weighted, precise and positioned in exactly the right places for a purist sport-driving experience. Like the very best Euro muscle cars, the GT350 is one fantastic all rounder.

Philosophically speaking, the GT350 is one of the few cars on the market to continue to hold the naturally aspirated, rear-wheel-drive, manual-only flame. It’s quite similar in this respect to the other great driver’s car of 2016, the Porsche GT4 which I’ve reviewed extensively. This type of uncompromising approach deserves respect.

While fit and finish have room for improvement, especially if the Mustang is to be taken seriously against its European rivals, the driving experience is nothing short of top shelf. I had a lot of fun driving and interacting with the Shelby GT350 and it has made me a believer in Ford. Well done, Ford, for matching or possibly even beating Europe at their own game!

Anyone drive a new Mustang or Shelby recently? What did you think?

Mancini 05-24-2016 07:59 PM

I usually much prefer imports but I find the GT350 as appealing as the best European cars. It's a stunner.

BBMme 05-25-2016 09:08 PM

What a beauty . I'm loving where Ford is taking their brand

trollguy 05-26-2016 08:23 AM

liking that factory optioned blurred speedometer ;)

AzNightmare 05-26-2016 04:34 PM

Great video. What road is this?

EvoLove 05-26-2016 08:23 PM

Very good video i enjoyed watching it at work :fullofwin:

Mancini 05-27-2016 11:27 AM

This is an amazing video of an incredible machine. The forum is broken when you only get 5 replies days later.

Driveopolis, nicely done. I'm going to subscribe to your videos as a small show of support.

Great68 05-27-2016 11:47 AM

There's only two late model Mustangs that I ever really would have considered to own.

An 04 Cobra and this new GT350.

ZN6 05-27-2016 11:52 AM

I test drove the GT premium and I'm on the fence about buying one. The amount of brute power you get for the money is something else. 435HP on the GT was enough to get my heart racing. This vid makes me want to forget about the GT and go straight to GT350

Klutch 05-27-2016 05:22 PM

now the question is, shelby or roush stage 3?

mr00jimbo 05-28-2016 08:50 AM

Shelby over Roush every day and twice on Sunday.

They're wonderful cars.

I have "just" the GT with 435 horsepower and it's a thrill. Mustang lately has really stepped up its game, because non-muscle car guys come up and ask about it.

spacemanrick 05-28-2016 09:17 AM

Great review as always! I am also a big fan of the new Mustang GT........great sounds and great bang for the buck.

Gucci Mane 05-29-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klutch (Post 8759053)
now the question is, shelby or roush stage 3?

gt350. why would you even consider anything else?

AzNightmare 05-31-2016 12:35 AM

:lawl:

Just realized OP also made this thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70882...Bvideo%5D.html

thumper 05-31-2016 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidish (Post 8759364)
gt350. why would you even consider anything else?

this:

2017 Camaro Z28 Testing - Video of Next Camaro Z/28

http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/16/19/980...ing10kgped.jpg

(and yes i drive a mustang... trying to keep an open mind)

J-Chow 06-01-2016 06:23 AM

5 more years.....then I can buy a new car...

I've been actually contemplating the new Ford Mustang and/or Chevrolet Camaro. Though, I'd be a hypocrite, because I told myself I would never buy Domestic, but the reviews for these are pretty damn good.

Since I already have a 8-seater Mini van specifically for the kids and family, would you say it's reasonable, to look for a 2 door coupe with 2+2 seating as a work commuter car?

Was looking at options for under $40,000K;

Mustang / Camaro / Genesis and FRS/BRZ.

But I'm dreaming right now, because 5 years is a long ass way to go. :(

thumper 06-01-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Chow (Post 8760095)
5 more years.....then I can buy a new car...

I've been actually contemplating the new Ford Mustang and/or Chevrolet Camaro. Though, I'd be a hypocrite, because I told myself I would never buy Domestic, but the reviews for these are pretty damn good.

Since I already have a 8-seater Mini van specifically for the kids and family, would you say it's reasonable, to look for a 2 door coupe with 2+2 seating as a work commuter car?

Was looking at options for under $40,000K;

Mustang / Camaro / Genesis and FRS/BRZ.

But I'm dreaming right now, because 5 years is a long ass way to go. :(

I've been doing the commute and using mine for work every day for 5 years and now i'm on my second one. it just comes down to 1st world problems, such as fuel costs (if v8), fighting for a parking spot that isn't mini-sized downtown, and insurance rates.

i seriously gave thought to a camaro, but the pillbox sightlines out of the windows and the mail slot of a trunk opening were two big problems i could not ignore :(

also, the mustang is rumored to be up for a full redesign in 2020-2022.

J-Chow 06-01-2016 10:18 AM

I've never owned a 2 door coupe before. How bad is the insurance costs?
I know for my 2015 Sienna, it's about $1600-1700 / Year.
Fuel wise, I only plan on going for an Ecoboost Engine, or the V6 in the Camaro. It can't be as bad as my Minivan's fuel consumption at 14.0 L/100 km city driving. :okay:

How's the reliability on Ford and Chevrolet? I drive a lot of Dodge Rams and Caravans at work, and they are just horrible. So many issues and problems every few weeks or months.

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8760120)
I've been doing the commute and using mine for work every day for 5 years and now i'm on my second one. it just comes down to 1st world problems, such as fuel costs (if v8), fighting for a parking spot that isn't mini-sized downtown, and insurance rates.

i seriously gave thought to a camaro, but the pillbox sightlines out of the windows and the mail slot of a trunk opening were two big problems i could not ignore :(

also, the mustang is rumored to be up for a full redesign in 2020-2022.

thumper 06-01-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Chow (Post 8760167)
Fuel wise, I only plan on going for an Ecoboost Engine, or the V6 in the Camaro. It can't be as bad as my Minivan's fuel consumption at 14.0 L/100 km city driving. :okay:

How's the reliability on Ford and Chevrolet? I drive a lot of Dodge Rams and Caravans at work, and they are just horrible. So many issues and problems every few weeks or months.

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

it's gonna be more than a minivan. with full discount, $2m 3rd party liability, $500 deductible and insured for work use i'm somewhere in the $1900/yr range. i bought a 3rd party replacement policy hence the high deductible. best if you call an autoplan agent and get a quote. not knowing your driving record, you might need to keep some kleenex handy (or not).

my 5.0 is averaging around 15L/100kms city atm with a 3.73FD. my old one did 13L/100kms so i'm hoping the numbers will get better as the engine starts to loosen up because i only have 900kms on the odo so far.

chrysler products are not known for reliability. ford/gm are better, but they aren't toyotas.

and resale value isn't going to be like a camry or civic because sports car, so pick the right time to buy when prices are lowest (ie. rebates and promotions).

Gucci Mane 06-01-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8759817)
this:

2017 Camaro Z28 Testing - Video of Next Camaro Z/28

(and yes i drive a mustang... trying to keep an open mind)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8760120)

no doubt the camaro zl1 and z/28 are performance powerhouses. like you've stated, unless you're like 5'8, you're going to have one hell of a hard time trying to see anything out of the front windshield of the camaro. hell, even the c7 corvette is this way now. the c6 corvette fits me like a glove, the new c7 is too tight and my eyes come in line with the roof line of the convertible.

hoping to own a gt350 in about 5-7 years once the price has come down considerably. well, if it comes down that is..

thumper 06-01-2016 04:58 PM

i'm 6'1", and all i can see is headliner in the camaro unless i do a gangster lean. even traffic lights at the intersection were a problem, let alone the school buses i kept losing behind the c-pillars... it just wasn't meant to be :(

tofu1413 06-01-2016 09:44 PM

yep the GT itself is a great car, let alone the GT350............

he right about that BMW part. it does feel that way.

hmm... well then.

:pokerface:

J89 06-01-2016 11:35 PM

http://oi68.tinypic.com/9lg8k7.jpg

Funny enough I took a snapshot of this car last month. Extremely fierce looking in real life.

thumper 06-02-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Chow (Post 8760167)

you know what, ditch the minivan, forget mustangs and camaros and just do this.. luckiest kids on earth. i'll bet they don't whine "are we there yet???":

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9b&oe=57D0ADFD