REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,691 Posts
China's Transit Elevated Bus rides above traffic.

A model of a "transit elevated bus", an "Air Bus" made its debut at the Beijing International High Tech Expo.

At first, I thought it was a crazy bus driver flying a bus in the air after a horrific accident in China.

Interesting design.

Advertisement
Old 05-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Just imagining all the accidents.... ppl in Richmond have enough trouble keeping it between the lines, can you imagine when they get shocked after having one of these pass over them?

Maybe if these buses drove against traffic, so that drivers felt like they were driving into tunnels instead of having a major shock come from behind
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #3
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
maybe in special areas of the city where each lane has a metal or concrete barrier preventing lane changes/crossing (similar to no lane changes in the messy tunnel but with safeguards)

even then yep...accidents...

or maybe in areas with google's automated cars

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,181 Posts
The concept is not new. I remember seeing them back in the early 2000, but it never came into fruition due to the height limit it needs to impose on its roads and stations (so you either have to build very high stations, or limit the height of traffic that can go under it)
Old 05-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

thats just disaster waiting to happen, it'll never come to reality
TRD Rs200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
on rails, I see.

gotta build that model in the basement.........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Interesting concept and design. I don't know if that would work in the real world though...
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:47 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

this gonna explode
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
Interesting concept and design. I don't know if that would work in the real world though...
It wouldn't because Chinese drivers do not obey traffic laws. Like most things out of China it looks promising on paper however in the actual implementation things fall apart quickly.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:20 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Just imagining all the accidents.... ppl in Richmond have enough trouble keeping it between the lines, can you imagine when they get shocked after having one of these pass over them?

Maybe if these buses drove against traffic, so that drivers felt like they were driving into tunnels instead of having a major shock come from behind
Id rather still drive in richmond then in china.. lol...
Old 05-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

What happens when comes across a semi?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:24 AM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Imagine how much damage 1 single vehicle can cause when a lifted truck/larger sized truck with something strapped to the roof or over sized vehicle gets hit from the back and is dragged forwards taking out every car in front of it until the train can come to a halt.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #13
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

This concept is becoming a reality. China is testing the elevated bus.

Quote:
Road-straddling bus takes first test drive in China

Months after design was revealed Transit Explore Bus has inaugural run on test track in Qinhuangdao, Hebei province
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...huangdao-hebei
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:12 AM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
credit where due
amazing how this went from concept to testing within a year...doesn't matter if quality isn't there yet the fact that they can get it out so fast is impressive

even if you take out NIMBY and road compatibility concerns, if they tried doing this in say a newly developed Vancouver suburb it'll take 30 years and couple dozen tax hikes to even come close.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
credit where due
amazing how this went from concept to testing within a year...doesn't matter if quality isn't there yet the fact that they can get it out so fast is impressive

even if you take out NIMBY and road compatibility concerns, if they tried doing this in say a newly developed Vancouver suburb it'll take 30 years and couple dozen tax hikes to even come close.
The flip side of that coin is do we really want our governments to have carte blanche when it comes to policy implementation without any type of public consultation?
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #16
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
may be a classic case of the (wealthy) Chinese mentality of "here's my money. i want it, and i want it now"
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #17
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i'm thinking perhaps it's more of pride and what they can achieve so lets make it happen than entitlement, similar to what they were able to do in terms of buildings for the olympics.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #18
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
credit where due

That prototype you see there probably costs more than what Translink spent all of last year. Remember when Vancouver 2010 costed less than 7 billion, and beijing costed 50 billion?

When money is no object and public perception, consultation, and probability of success are completely eliminated from the equation stuff like this become easy to do. No matter how terrible an idea they are.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #19
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Sh*t in China are like 10 years ahead of things here in Canada. Case in point, the stupid damn Compass card, gates, 1 zone, 2 zone, etc for Translink that just went live like a year ago with complication after complication. HK had efficient Octopus card for their MTR like 15 years. China's speed trains rock. Necessity is the mother of all invention.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
^ I don't even.

Back to topic. It is quite amazing that they actually brought this concept to life.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #21
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Sh*t in China are like 10 years ahead of things here in Canada. Case in point, the stupid damn Compass card, gates, 1 zone, 2 zone, etc for Translink that just went live like a year ago with complication after complication. HK had efficient Octopus card for their MTR like 15 years. China's speed trains rock. Necessity is the mother of all invention.
Which part of "a lack of public consultation, business case analysis, environmental impact analysis, procedural justice" do you not understand? By nature, dictatorships are generally way more efficient than democracies. There is a reason you don't see any of them in the world being all that successful though.

And don't give me the benevolent dictator is best bullcrap. Power corrupts, so for all practical purposes, no dictator is benevolent.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #22
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Which part of "a lack of public consultation, business case analysis, environmental impact analysis, procedural justice" do you not understand? By nature, dictatorships are generally way more efficient than democracies. There is a reason you don't see any of them in the world being all that successful though.

And don't give me the benevolent dictator is best bullcrap. Power corrupts, so for all practical purposes, no dictator is benevolent.
Oh, I didn't know we were talking about politics, corruption, and environmental issues, I was just alluding to Asia's technology and efficiency.

Now that you brought it up ... I suppose BC with their democracy, public consultation, business case analysis has never failed ... you must not remember:
1. BC Fast Cat Ferries, (proj at $210 .. ended up $460m ... sold the three for $50m, this was back in 1994 so that's quite a lot back then)
2. BC Stadium Roof replacement (proj to be $345m ... ended up $514m) ... for just a f*king roof!
3. Port Mann Bridge (forecasted to be $1.1B ... ended up $3.3B), remember the first time we had ice storm?
4. Privatization of BC Rail $1B scandal with raids to government offices ... Basi and Virk took the fall.
5. The present housing crisis which lined the pockets of many politicians through 'procedural justice'.
6. Mining disaster, 2014, 24 million cubic metres of waste into nearby lakes and rivers.

If you think that there aren't any corruption, shady business deals with governments, or environmental disasters here in BC or North America ... well, I don't know what to say.

Last edited by whitev70r; 08-05-2016 at 10:06 AM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Remember when Vancouver 2010 costed less than 7 billion, and beijing costed 50 billion?
50 Billion / 17 million people = 2941.17
7 Billion / 603500 people = 11599.00

Beijing is a shit show in terms of city design and has fuck all drainage. 50 Billion is a bargain.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #24
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Oh, I didn't know we were talking about politics, corruption, and environmental issues, I was just alluding to Asia's technology and efficiency.

Now that you brought it up ... I suppose BC with their democracy, public consultation, business case analysis has never failed ... you must not remember the BC Fast Cat Ferries, BC Stadium Roof replacement (proj to be $345m ... ended up $514m), Port Mann Bridge (forecasted to be $1.1B ... ended up $3.3B), or the $1B privatization of BC Rail, or how about the present housing crisis which lined the pockets of many politicians through 'procedural justice'.
If you fail to grasp how politics will always directly or indirectly affect the general population's life, I guess you've failed to understand how the real world works.

Then again, from the examples you cited, I really shouldn't be surprised. The democratic process doesn't eliminate poor governments and failed policies and their implementation, it just merely minimizes the frequency of them occurring. Perhaps I should start listing the failures that Mainland China has done to itself?

If you think China's technology and efficiency is so good, perhaps I should remind you of the Chinese high speed trains disastrous safety history and shoddy construction? Or if you think Hong Kong's MTR technology is so advanced, may I remind you how it was introduced during the British colonial era? and how its service quality has now deteriorated to an abysmal level with frequent train failures, and highly dubious purchases of Mainland China-made trains and parts that do not live up to the expected safety standards? Our Skytrains fail often enough as well, but we haven't deteriorated into that sorry a state yet, but we might be heading in that direction if we -- as citizens -- don't stop the provincially proposed plan to purchase Mainland China-made Skytrains.

If you ever go hiking anywhere in BC, take a look around you and think about why we can still enjoy all this beautiful nature. And now go look at the multi-coloured chemical rivers that you see in China, or better yet -- look at the massively failed Three Gorges Dam project and the various natural disasters it has caused. And then turn to look at the demise of the Chinese white dophin situation in Hong Kong -- it is unfolding right in front of our eyes. When there is no democracy, no public consultation, no business case analysis, disaster is what you get.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #25
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by danned View Post
this gonna explode
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote