REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Pet Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/pet-forum_281/)
-   -   Knowing When the time is right (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709118-knowing-when-time-right.html)

quasi 06-04-2016 05:56 PM

Knowing When the time is right

3 Attachment(s)
I have a dog that is just shy of 14 years old, he's been sick for a while now. He had some cancerous tumors removed about 2 1/2 years ago but they didn't get it all, they said I'd be lucky if he made it a year. His hips are bad, he has trouble walking more then a few blocks and I have to carry him up stairs.

I've been struggling internally with when is the right time to let him go? I don't want him to suffer but if he's still happy and relatively pain free I have no problem catering to the extra care required. I asked the vet last time we were in how do I know when it's time? He said no two pets are the same but he told me some signs I could look for.

The last couple days those signs appeared, he's not eating much he's very lethargic he barely wants to drink. He's not normal, I show him his leash and for the first time ever he just laid down with no interest in going out. Today he's spent the entire day in the corner of my back yard on the gravel which again isn't normal, he never lays there. As much as it crushes me I think those huge fears I had of missing the sign are gone, he's telling me what I don't want to hear. My son is so close to him, he's been around since he was born I don't know even know what to say to him. As much as I'm heartbroken just thinking about what I have to do it hurts me more that it's going to crush him.

So unless something drastic changes in the next 18 hours I think tomorrow I'm going to have to do what I've been dreading for a long time and that's let him go and be at peace. Old man I hope I have the strength to do what's right, you've always been there for me I have to be there for you.

Inaii 06-04-2016 06:06 PM

I think a lot of it is instinct in knowing when to let go. We had to put my mom's cat down last March (we'd only had her since December of the previous year) due to a huge tumour growing on her side. But I think once they stop eating/drinking and enjoying the things they used to love, then it's time to say goodbye :( I'm so sorry you're going through this, he's beautiful. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to say goodbye to my little guys :( *many hugs for you and your family quasi*

axxess 06-04-2016 07:45 PM

I suggest you put him on a leash, take him to his favourite park and sit there for a couple hours.

By going to the corner it seems the dog is trying to hint at you that its time. My previous puppy kept moving to a spot that is unusual and far away from me before he passed.

fliptuner 06-04-2016 08:19 PM

Unfortunately, you'll have to have that talk with your son and get him to understand that death us part of life and that putting the dog down is the best thing you can do for him at this point.

Best thing you can do for the dog is let him rest and end his suffering. Be there til the last moment, as you know he would do the same for you.

quasi 06-05-2016 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a nap with Loki this afternoon and we enjoyed one last car ride (it's his favorite thing to do) before we took him to the vet. He went peacefully, I'm very content with my decision.

I love you Lok Dog, thank you for all the great times we'll never forget you.

Verdasco 06-06-2016 12:36 PM

fuark man hit me right in the feels and i never met your dog before

why I gotta do this at work.... fuarkkkkkkkkkkk RIP.......

I had dogs die on my before in my house. Couldn't stop crying before I went to sleep for a couple weeks when I was 14..... I would never own a dog again because I am scared I will receive the same pain I had when i was 14. Scared to lose another love one..... I always told that to ppl when they asked "why dont u get another dog"?

People say the same when they lose their wife and will never get married again, not sure if this thing is normal or not...

rest in peace :( your dogs tongue sticking out makes it look so happy

ilovebacon 06-06-2016 01:41 PM

this hit my feeling button because I have a pet dog too :(

Traum 06-06-2016 02:27 PM

I am feeling totally un-at-ease and conflicted right now, having just read in the news how the federal government has failed to meet the midnight deadline to pass the assisted dying bill (C-14) as mandated by the court, and how the proposed bill falls short of the court's description. Then right afterwards, we are seeing the internal struggle that Quasi has to go through, and how he'd at least have the option to exercise getting his dog put down to end that suffering and pain...

It really gives a powerful take on how we view the issues surrounding illnesses and death. :(

Sorry to hear about the passing of Lok Dog, and I hope the pain will ease in time.

quasi 06-06-2016 02:42 PM

Thank you, this morning was really weird my weekday routine is take him out for a pee and then we sit together on the couch for 45 minutes before I leave for work. I came downstairs, no dog sitting by myself it really hit home.

It's hit my son a little harder then I thought it might, he didn't want to go to school today he's been emotional so my wife took the day off and we made that happen. I gave him his leash, he slept with it and has been carrying it around today. The more I think about it I think the fact that although he's been told what death is he's never experienced it and he's dealing with the feeling of true loss coming to the realization how final it is. I have no doubt that in a couple days he'll be back to himself, just got to get him into his routine hopefully he'll go to Lacrosse practice tonight.

It's going to be a bit of an adjustment that said no new dog in the plans for a few years. The health problems my dog had the last 3 years has made is difficult to vacation as a family because we couldn't leave him with anyone. We're going to enjoy some camping trips and vacations together and maybe in a few years look at getting another. I told my wife maybe it would be better to wait until I'm sure the new dog will it out live me so I don't have to go through this again. :)

Thanks for the comments and the thoughts.

smoothie. 06-06-2016 02:57 PM

Sorry for your loss.

It's never easy. But you loved and still love him as best as you could.

Hondaracer 06-06-2016 05:56 PM

We had a 10 year old husky that was our first dog, basically died in my arms one night because of a twisted stomach.. really the first time i experience true "death" and i was still 18 or somthing..

Dog's dieing really is a part of life though, they live seemingly tiny lives compared to humans, and i think its important to think about the good times you have with your companions as opposed to the sickly and dieing parts..

pretty much right after our Husky died my parents got a new dog, a lab, and then once he was about 5 we got a second dog, another lab. When you have two dogs they really do take care of eachother for the most part, especially if you have a yard they can run around in. In a lot of ways they are a burden as you say in terms of going on trips etc. but i think the benefits outweigh the negatives, and with 1 or 2 good dogs, they can easilly stay with friends/relatives for a week or more while you go away.

Dont let this experience sway you from getting another dog imo

dat_steve 06-08-2016 03:51 PM

had my buddy pass in his sleep a few months back, and i was just a total wreck inside for a few days after.

dogs are fucking awesome. you guys were lucky to have been with each other for as long as you did. hope you and yours are moving on in good spirits.

westopher 06-08-2016 04:48 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Many dogs never know the love of a great family. Be proud you were a part of his joy, especially for near 14 years!
Everyone feels differently about getting a dog after the loss, but as a dog lover, keep an open mind, you never know when the right family member may fit right in.
My thoughts are with you man.

MarkyMark 06-10-2016 05:55 AM

Sorry for your loss. I've lost a few dogs over the years growing up, it never gets easier each time that's for sure. One thing I can tell you is that I've never regretted getting another dog down the line. The experience and memories they give you far outweigh the heartbreak when they are gone.

Zedbra 06-10-2016 06:27 AM

So sorry to hear about losing your best pal - dogs truly love people like no other animal. We went through this same loss of a dog with my two young children last year after adopting a dog here through Revscene; it was painful and we still miss that old girl, but it has become an easier way to transition them to understanding the finality of death.

It sounds like you gave your dog a great life, and you made the right decision to do what was needed for him at the right time. Time makes it easier to deal with the loss, but the pain of the loss will remain nonetheless. I hope your family regains themselves quickly, know that it is always better to have received unconditional love than to have never experienced it.

ShawGuy 06-16-2016 02:38 PM

Sorry about your loss. And I must pat your back and say good job for being strong and doing this for the sole betterment of the old pup. My dog of 16 yrs old had a stroke and couldn't eat or walk up and down stairs, but I hand fed her and carried her, mindlessly trying to nurse her back to health, but a few months went by without any improvements. I then started questioning whether I kept her really for my own sake or hers. I'm happy you recognized the timing but am truly sorry for your loss. :(

quasi 05-23-2018 08:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So it's been a couple of years, my wife and son wanted a new dog and we got a border collie and Aussie Shepard cross puppy. This dog has been cool, retarded amount of energy obviously but he's my wifes dog and the bond I had with my other dog isn't there with this guy.

I decided we're getting a second dog and I'm finding another English Staffie. I finally found one, picking my puppy up in 3 weeks. No name yet but this is Loki 2.0 for now.

GabAlmighty 05-23-2018 09:36 AM

Happy to hear that, my gf got a dog when we were first starting to see each other and since moving in together had toyed with the idea of getting another one. This past December we picked up Tucker and although Rosie is probably pissed she doesn't get 100% of our attention now I think it's been for the best. She's very protective of him (pain in the ass) and I think she's glad to have a friend. She's about 5-6 and he's about 1'ish.

In my line of work dogs can be a pain to have but I wouldn't trade it for the world. All they want is to love you unconditionally and be there for you. It's nice. I love my asshole dogs.

Tucker - Pittbull hound mix of some sort
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/964/2...25c69c65_z.jpgUntitled by GabAlmighty, on Flickr

Rosie - Shepherd mastiff of some sort
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/964/2...2355222b_z.jpgUntitled by GabAlmighty, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/972/4...91c0d103_z.jpgUntitled by GabAlmighty, on Flickr

Sorry for the thread jack.

quasi 05-23-2018 11:41 AM

^^

That's awesome, we're really hoping the two dogs really get along like that. We were thinking adding a female but decided on another male. I also think the current dog will appreciate having the other dog there to help keep him company when we're not home, at least we're hoping. :)

originalhypa 05-23-2018 12:08 PM

Just had a final weekend with our cavalier poodle.

TL/DR

Took the dog in for blood work on thursday as she has been lethargic lately. We knew it was coming, but wanted to spend what could be our last days with pup. So we took her to our place in Whistler for the weekend on friday. Armed with Toradol in case of any pain, and a new comfy bed for her.

Saturday was the wife's bday and we had dinner plans for 6pm. Around 4:30, our dog started to whine a little. The wife gave her a little Toradol, but you could tell pup's breathing was labored. I called the restaurant and cancelled our plans.

Fast forward to 6pm. I grabbed some BBQ stuff so we could eat at home. I wanted to be there in case anything happened. Around 6:15 we could tell it was time, so my wife called the vet in Whistler.

We didn't make it to the vet. Our pup passed on the way there. She took a final breath and went peacefully at my wife's feet.

RIP to our little dog at 14.5 years old.

quasi 05-23-2018 12:58 PM

That really sucks, I know losing a pet is so tough. It gets better over time, but even now I still think about my old dog from time to time.

Dragon-88 05-23-2018 02:13 PM

Sorry for your loss Hypa 14.5 years is a good life and i'm sure you've given her the best life a owner could offer.

originalhypa 05-24-2018 10:26 AM

She definately had a great life. For the last 5 years she was like a grandma dog. She survived a coyote attack, stung by a wasp in the throat, and numerous bumps and bodychecks from our bigger dog.

I miss her, but I'm happy she passed so peacefully. When I was 13, our Shepherd had to be put down. My parents got him when I was about 2 and I grew up with that dog. That was so incredibly painful that I have been unable to properly mourn my dogs since then. I feel like I can't allow myself to become attached to them like I used to.

#deadinside

:(

quasi 06-13-2018 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We've finally got him, named him Lincoln.

The older guy is adjusting slowly but they'll be fine over time.

bmcmking 06-21-2018 07:38 PM

Sorry for your loss man, I just recently lost my dog too due to sickness. Just have this thought in your head, he is happy in heaven now and maybe when he is reincarnated you and him will meet again. I sure believe it and so should you