REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #26
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
I am under the impression that CoV has some sort of explicit legislation that prevents new crossings into / out of Vancouver to be built. Personally, I don't know why we'd want to have something like that, and I'd very much like to see at least one extra crossing between Vancouver and Richmond -- either at Fraser via Mitchell Island, or continuing from Boundary down to No.8 Road.

Potentially, connecting Barnet Hwy to Dollarton could also be immensely useful, but I suspect there might be some technical difficulties there.
Advertisement

Last edited by Traum; 06-09-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
This could have some major implications for the future of the South Fraser. I really think lrt is a huge mistake, like it says lrt won't be much faster than a bus and it's subject to the same traffic congestion.

Line to Langley may still be SkyTrain: TransLink CEO - Surrey Leader
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
This could have some major implications for the future of the South Fraser. I really think lrt is a huge mistake, like it says lrt won't be much faster than a bus and it's subject to the same traffic congestion.

Line to Langley may still be SkyTrain: TransLink CEO - Surrey Leader
I get why Hepner is arguing for LRT - Surrey is a huge city and it needs something better than buses than every 30 minutes to service new neighbourhoods, such as Morgan Crossing.

However, Skytrain to Langley makes sense in the long-run. LRT should be then built to feed Skytrain. Too bad there isn't enough money for both systems.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #29
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I am under the impression that CoV has some sort of explicit legislation that prevents need crossing into / out of Vancouver to be built. Personally, I don't know why we'd want to have something like that, and I'd very much like to see at least one extra crossing between Vancouver and Richmond -- either at Fraser via Mitchell Island, or continuing from Boundary down to No.8 Road.

Potentially, connecting Barnet Hwy to Dollarton could also be immensely useful, but I suspect there might be some technical difficulties there.
I had a uncle who worked at the lumber yard at Kent and boundary back in early 70's, 80's and he had told me when all these lumber yards get shut down along Kent the plan was to build a overpass over marine dr along Boundary Rd and a bridge connecting to the 91 and this was sometime in the 90's he was telling me.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #30
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
If you think about it, there hasn't been a net new crossing anywhere in the Lower Mainland (Golden Ears doesn't count) since the Alex Fraser in 1984. We've refurbished and replaced, but there's not been a new avenue for people to cross. At the same time, Metro Vancouver has at least doubled. We need to stop ripping out bridges that could still be usable and add to the infrastructure.

Upcoming projects:
Massey Bridge (replace)
Pattullo (replace)
I understand what you're saying but in reality Golden Ears is a new crossing (yes they used to have a ferry) much more efficient now. Port Mann although not a new crossing has doubled in size which has helped a ton. Anyone old enough to remember what it was like commuting on Hwy 1 in the mid 90's? You could get out and walk faster then the traffic moved from Willington all the way to the bridge.

I agree they need more infrastructure but I don't think it's fair to say they've done nothing.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #31
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
i don't have a long commute, and its counter flow, but its over the patullo.
feel sorry for those who cross it every day in the busy direction. can't believe it's going to stay one lane till october. when alex fraser has a problem patullo has to absorb the extra load and doing that with one lane is a nightmare.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I understand what you're saying but in reality Golden Ears is a new crossing (yes they used to have a ferry) much more efficient now. Port Mann although not a new crossing has doubled in size which has helped a ton. Anyone old enough to remember what it was like commuting on Hwy 1 in the mid 90's? You could get out and walk faster then the traffic moved from Willington all the way to the bridge.

I agree they need more infrastructure but I don't think it's fair to say they've done nothing.
Not even the mid 90's. Up until the new Port Mann was built, getting out of Surrey and into Coquitlam was a massive headache. I would usually add in an extra 30 minutes to go from 108th Ave and 152 St to the other side of the river. It was a parking lot.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #33

Thanked 1,596 Times in 540 Posts
those days when HWY1 had the grass dividers and had only 2 lanes out of vancouver to the port mann...
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #34
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
Yea, traffic here is lame. I've been using my bicycle more often to commute to work.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #35

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
not sure if this is the right thread but whatever.

Quote:
BURNABY (NEWS 1130) – Following a private 45-minute meeting, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier Christy Clark emerged announcing the two levels of government are committing $616 million to the Mayors’ Council 10-year transit plan.

There are 14 capital projects involved. Funding includes design and pre-construction work on the Broadway Subway in Vancouver and light rail in Surrey. “With the provinces and municipalities contributions it will be a total of $934 million to be invested in public transit across the province,” says Trudeau.

The funding will go towards buying new rail cars for the Expo, Millennium and Canada Lines. The money will also go towards a new SeaBus.

“It means communities all across British Columbia will benefit from system upgrades, whether it’s building new bus lanes or completing much needed repairs to existing facilities,” adds Trudeau.

The plans outlined by the prime minister are part of what he calls Phase 1, stressing the federal government is now meeting with the Mayors’ Council to develop Phase 2 of transit investments.

Trudeau says he’ll be involved in a round-table chat on rising housing prices to discuss further solutions to the transit improvements.

Where is the money coming from?

Co-chair of the Mayor’s Council Gregor Robertson says it’s a relief to get the money but he says there is still a lot to talk about with his community counterparts.

But, the mayors and the provincial government have not agreed on how TransLink will meet its part of the contribution. Their statement says the Mayors’ Council and the province are still working to finalize an agreement.

“Of course, we’re proud to be the first region in Canada to land that investment from the Federal and Provincial combination. The Phase 1 agreement is really essential for us.”

Robertson says to find the funding, the Mayors’ Council was able to find some projects in the first two to three years of its 10-year plan. “Projects like the Broadway subway and Mayor’s [Linda] Hepner’s projects south of the Fraser, about $157 million dedicated to get those projects on track to be fully funded and breaking ground within 18 months, which would be fantastic,” adds Robertson.

There will also be $345 million to modernize and expand transit lines which will include 28 SkyTrain cars, 22 Canada Line cars and five West Coast Express cars. Some SkyTrain stations will also be renovated and bike parkades are being added to the Evergreen Line.

The Mayors’ Council has proposed a $3 per year property tax increase, a one-time transit fare increase and a commitment to regional tolling, but the Minister for TransLink has not agreed to support it.

Metro Vancouver has a long wish list of transit projects, but during last year’s plebiscite people voted down a proposed sales tax last year to pay for a 10-year, $7.5 billion transit plan.
Ottawa, Victoria make multi-million dollar transit announcement - NEWS 1130

even with this announcement, i still doubt that our skytrains will be made to run 24hrs. its a fucking joke. they need to run them 24hrs and have limited service after a certain time.. every other world class city has 24 hour subway/light rail system, why can't we?
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #36

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
hwy 91 and 72 ave interchange plans. looks like there will still be a light to turn southbound on 91 from westbound 72.

fuck lois jackson for delaying this for so long and costing me and everyone else so many lost hours sitting there like an idiot. all that idling over the years has to be as bad for the environment as paving over the stupid bog.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc...h/26956305903/

vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #37
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
^ I'm glad that the exit will soon be on the right... Light or no light that will ease traffic a bit coming off the bridge because people won't need to slow down in the fast lane to watched for stopped cars waiting to turn left...

But it's still a stupid design after you make the turn onto 72nd... It's esentiallu a merge because the right lane is a right turn only... It'll just bottleneck again.... Same deal for the Massey tunnel replacement.... Sure you'll make it into richmond fast but it'll just bottleneck again at oak street bridge...

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: