REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #576

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Would rather the team sit back then over pay for lucic or eriksson..

Also, not 100% on this but seems if Weber retires before his contract ends the penalties go to Nashville not Montreal.
nsh didnt retain any cap so they wont face penalties, mtl only will suffer from that
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #577
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Not much more to look forward to if that doesn't happen.
Agree, not much to look forward to. I hope they stay pat in UFA. You don't build a winning team by overpaying has-beens looking to cash in on a couple of good seasons. You build winners through the draft and development of young players who are cheap, and veteran players who play the game the right way and preferably easy on the pocket book as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Hall was quoted by the TSN hockey panel as saying that he is a "proud person. This trade is an indictment on me as a player. I am very motivated as a player now"
Yeah that pride and motivation really showed up last year. And the year before that. And the year before that. Not saying he won't light it up next year, bc being in Edmonton can kind of do that to somebody.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #578
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
nsh didnt retain any cap so they wont face penalties, mtl only will suffer from that
That's not how it works.

Basically, it's based on money paid vs. cap hit accrued over the period the player was with the team.

Weber played 4 seasons in Nashville under the current contract. He was paid $14M each year for a total of $56M. His AAV was $7.857143M per season, so $31.428572M in total. The difference is $24.571428M. This number would be divided by the number of years remaining on his contract when he officially retires (that means actually signing the retirement papers with the NHL and NHLPA, not just saying he's retiring to go play in Europe).

Unless Weber retires in the next 3 years, Montreal won't face any recapture penalty as he only get paid more than his cap hit for this season and next.

Last edited by Jmac; 06-29-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:46 PM   #579

^ thats how it was reported by tsn
Old 06-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #580
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
PK Subban is a great defenseman but he frequently makes questionable plays in the defensive zone.
I don't see how that makes any sense. Great defensemen don't make questionable plays in their own end. Somebody life Shea Weber fits the bill as a great defenseman

Its why I've had issues with some of the Norris winners of late, namely Subban and Karlsson. Yeah they put up lots of points and are always a threat to score when they're on the ice. But the Norris isn't about that, it's for the best defenseman.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #581
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
That's not how it works.
I believe cap recapture rule hits the team that benefited most from the actual salary paid vs caphit on the heavily front loaded contracts, in this case Nashville. So Montreal may actually come out ahead in this case here if Weber quits early. I recall Weber's contract had some crazy signing bonus in the first 2 years so that may affect the rules
Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #582

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
^ thats how it was reported by tsn
CBA > TSN
Old 06-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #583

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
The season hasn't even started and Canadian teams are already worse off... Ship PK out of Canada... Ship Hall out of Canada... What the FUCK!
Did they ship out their Canadian citizenship too? Jeez calm down dude
Old 06-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #584
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I don't see how that makes any sense. Great defensemen don't make questionable plays in their own end. Somebody life Shea Weber fits the bill as a great defenseman

Its why I've had issues with some of the Norris winners of late, namely Subban and Karlsson. Yeah they put up lots of points and are always a threat to score when they're on the ice. But the Norris isn't about that, it's for the best defenseman.
Norris has been about points for the last like 10+ years.

Thing with PK is you take the good with the bad, offensive defenseman will be a liability from time to time. You can't be a Lidstrom at the same time as being a Subban.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Not if they're up against a cap and are strapped in that capacity.
That has never happened in the cap era. If the original team wants to match, they'll ship out other players to make it happen.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #586

You can go up to 10% over the salary cap during the offseason. Need to be compliant before the season starts, though.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #587
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Norris has been about points for the last like 10+ years.

Thing with PK is you take the good with the bad, offensive defenseman will be a liability from time to time. You can't be a Lidstrom at the same time as being a Subban.
Well seeing as though Lidstrom has won the Norris 4 of the past 10 years, and 7 of the last 15, you kind of can. I get points look good, but you can't look THAT bad in your own end and still be considered Norris worthy, IMO. It would be like saying Sbisa is Norris caliber if he can put up 65pts this season...
Old 06-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #588

Watching lidstrom play was amazing. No dman has been close to how he controlled play even if it didn't result in a goal.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #589
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
You don't build a winning team by overpaying has-beens looking to cash in on a couple of good seasons.
Hahahaha!
Are you kidding me?

The 2016 Stanley Cup winning Penguins had a bunch of has-beens on their roster, the likes of Bonino, Kessel, Cullen, Lovejoy, Cole. Without those guys, it wouldn't have happened.

Detroit in 2008 with Yzerman, Larionov, Fedorov, Shanahan, and Lidstrom, a team full of Russian players that were old, and had been written off by other teams.

The 2006 cup winning Hurricanes had the likes of Andreychuk, Brind' Amour, Mark Recchi, Doug Weight, Bret Hedican, and Glen Wesley.

I could go back to the first days of the cup, and you'll find that it's not your top players who win it all. It's the overall team depth that wins a cup.

So forgive me for hoping that the Canucks can snag some has-been, like Lucic. A local guy who has already won a cup.

I totally agree with you that Shea Weber is an amazing defenseman. I didn't even know he was on the block, and damn, would he have made a great Canuck.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
You can go up to 10% over the salary cap during the offseason. Need to be compliant before the season starts, though.
As per usual, someone fails with no retort.

What about my post was failworthy? Too true?
Quote:
(B) Nevertheless, in order to ensure that Clubs may have sufficient time and flexibility to plan their rosters during the off-season, the Upper Limit shall be temporarily raised by ten (10) percent to permit Clubs additional flexibility with their Averaged Club Salaries during the period from July 1 until and including the last day of Training Camp. On the day following the last day of Training Camp, the Upper Limit shall again be lowered to the level as calculated in Section 50.5(b), and all Clubs must once again be in compliance with the Upper Limit from the day following the last day of Training Camp until and including June 30.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #591
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
I totally agree with you that Shea Weber is an amazing defenseman. I didn't even know he was on the block, and damn, would he have made a great Canuck.
Doubt their GM even gave us a call. What would we even have to offer?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #592
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Doubt their GM even gave us a call. What would we even have to offer?
Botchford said we offered Tanev + 5th overall pick for Subban
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #593

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Hahahaha!
Are you kidding me?

The 2016 Stanley Cup winning Penguins had a bunch of has-beens on their roster, the likes of Bonino, Kessel, Cullen, Lovejoy, Cole. Without those guys, it wouldn't have happened.

Detroit in 2008 with Yzerman, Larionov, Fedorov, Shanahan, and Lidstrom, a team full of Russian players that were old, and had been written off by other teams.

The 2006 cup winning Hurricanes had the likes of Andreychuk, Brind' Amour, Mark Recchi, Doug Weight, Bret Hedican, and Glen Wesley.
I think UFO meant cup winning teams don't overpay for free agents. Did any of those teams overpay for those players in free agency?
Old 06-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #594
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
I think UFO meant cup winning teams don't overpay for free agents. Did any of those teams overpay for those players in free agency?
Over paying is all based on your perspective. Was Kessel over paid? If they didn't win the cup, then yes. Are Kane and Toews overpaid? Not when they're winning the cup.

I'm not talking about bringing in Derek Roy for a 4 month Vancouver vacation. But when it comes to filling holes in one's roster, it's like the real estate market.

lots of inventory, equals low prices. A good example is the goalie market these days. But for a top defenseman?

Man, that's like waterfront property. You're going to pay out the ass to fill that hole.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Botchford said we offered Tanev + 5th overall pick for Subban
botchford also claimed gaborik was signing here as a ufa because he bought a house in vancouver. he goes on hfboards for info then says its from his connections. guys a hack
Old 06-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #596
Banned (ABWS)

what are you guys talking about? I serouisly don't understand
elite_baller46 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #597

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Man, that's like waterfront property. You're going to pay out the ass to fill that hole.
I don't like seeing the words "ass", "fill", and "hole" in the same sentence.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #598
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Plekanec has gone on record to say that PK wasn't a problem in the dressing room and that they all texted him yesterday to wish him luck.

Montreal being lit up right now. There's legitimately no real reason to trade him
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #599
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Hahahaha!
Are you kidding me?

I could go back to the first days of the cup, and you'll find that it's not your top players who win it all. It's the overall team depth that wins a cup.

So forgive me for hoping that the Canucks can snag some has-been, like Lucic. A local guy who has already won a cup.

Fedorov wasn't playing for the Wings in 2008. Shanahan was playing for the devils that season as well. WTF are you talking about?

To win the cup, the teams needs to be deep enough to not only grind through 82 games season but 4 rounds of playoffs match up. You need some puck luck and you need to avoid injuries. SJ was rolling in the west until the finals (similar to the Canucks in 2011). They basically stopped playing the way they have in the finals. I'm not sure if it's injuries or what but the team who pushes it to the next level along with some luck will win it all.

In the salary cap era, it's even harder to win because you can't just sign all the good players, you need to build your depth with cheap young players. The only way to get that is through the draft or signing college free agents / overseas players.

There's never really a one way to build a team, you need skill, grit, and speed. Can't just rely on one. As much as the Bruins won it with grit, they had a lot of speed as well.

That's why I never saw anything in analytics. Stats work on large amount of information/data. You can't analyze a players play on a 7 games series, it's too short of a time frame to base your decision around. That's why character players are still paid big dollars, they bring out their A game when it matters.

BTW, Lebrun tweeted we are out of the Lucic considerations.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #600

If it's the rumoured 7-year, $42M+ contract that's been rumoured to be the starting point on Lucic, I'd say we dodged a bullet there.