REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #826
F3
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
72 games with Flames and Panthers
16G 30A 46 pts -1
of all canucks skaters last year those point totals would have him 3rd in team lead after Danny and Hank.

if its a cheap, short term deal, the fit is pretty good...can play centre or wing and can put up 40-50 pts when healthy

On a team in desperate need of secondary scoring, i'd argue he'd fit pretty well with the Canucks.
Assuming they're courting him on a short-term deal, it's the cheapest/safest option to adding some offence without having to give up assets via trade or hoping someone will pick up the slack and put up secondary scoring points.

So why wouldn't he be a good fit?
Because the canucks are trying to get younger and develop players.
They don't even have a roster spot open unless they trade a forward.
Even if virt starts in the A they still theoretically have
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
baertschi boho rodin
etem/gaunce sutter hansen
bur granlund dorsett
Don't understand why people want to keep signing aging vets and then turn around and complain when we don't play our young players enough and aren't developing them.
Advertisement
F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #827
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 View Post
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
baertschi boho rodin
bur granlund dorsett
Don't understand why people want to keep signing aging vets and then turn around and complain when we don't play our young players enough and aren't developing them.
Because the typical fan wants to have their cake and eat it too.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #828
nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Because the typical fan wants to have their cake and eat it too.
Ditto for the Aquilinis and this management team.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #829

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 View Post
Sedin Sedin Eriksson
baertschi boho rodin
bur granlund dorsett
umm the nhl has this lower league called the AHL. most teams will put their prospects there to get better because they will get a lot of playing time.
the canucks even without virtanen etem or gaunce on the team will be young. these are not players who should be gifted a roster spot. at this point etem and gaunce are barely 4th liners no idea why youd throw them on the 3rd
Old 07-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #830
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Personally, I'm of the school of thought that unless he's going to be playing as a top 6 forward, a top 3 dman, or a starting goaltender, he should be playing in the minors if he's exempt from waivers. Not only will they play a more significant role and be given more opportunities to learn, but it also gives the team roster flexibility in terms of injury call-ups and such.

For example, if we had sent Hutton down and kept Corrado (who turned out to be having issues recovering from offseason surgery) in the NHL, we'd still have Corrado and Hutton would've spent most of his time in the NHL anyways given how many injuries we had on defense.

Instead, we lost Corrado and the ended up going down to our #10 dman or so at some points in the season.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #831

Canucks sign Prospects Camp invitee Michael Carcone to an ELC.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=169554

Decent 19-year-old season in the Q. He had a decent goal during the scrimmage, but he wasn't really too noticeable out there aside from the goal.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #832
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Personally, I'm of the school of thought that unless he's going to be playing as a top 6 forward, a top 3 dman, or a starting goaltender, he should be playing in the minors if he's exempt from waivers. Not only will they play a more significant role and be given more opportunities to learn, but it also gives the team roster flexibility in terms of injury call-ups and such.

For example, if we had sent Hutton down and kept Corrado (who turned out to be having issues recovering from offseason surgery) in the NHL, we'd still have Corrado and Hutton would've spent most of his time in the NHL anyways given how many injuries we had on defense.

Instead, we lost Corrado and the ended up going down to our #10 dman or so at some points in the season.
so essentially giving a spot to someone who didn't deserve it. then again, i hear the opposite where why we didn't give a spot to our younger players
Old 07-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #833
F3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
umm the nhl has this lower league called the AHL. most teams will put their prospects there to get better because they will get a lot of playing time.
the canucks even without virtanen etem or gaunce on the team will be young. these are not players who should be gifted a roster spot. at this point etem and gaunce are barely 4th liners no idea why youd throw them on the 3rd
umm none of the players i listed can be sent down without going through waivers first, other than boho and maybe guance? so where does hudler fit in?
and how are the canucks still young without those 3? i see more older players than young ones among the forwards.
Sedin(35) Sedin(35) Eriksson(31)
baertschi(23) boho(21) rodin(25)
sutter(27) hansen(30)
bur(35) granlund(23) dorsett(29)
F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #834

the aspect of getting young does not mean inserting recently drafted players in the lineup and hoping they can play, that can destroy them. getting young should be done by having your players come up when they are ready and replace older players. virtanen in the 2017-18 season(hopefully), as well as boeser, but i feel he might need a year in the ahl. hudler is a 1-2 year gap until those players are ready
and getting younger doesnt mean just looking at the forwards, look at the d
edler(30) tanev
hutton(23) gudbranson (24)
sbisa (26) tryamkin (21)
larsen (26)

full years of the bold replace what were basically full timers in hamhuis (33) bartkowski(28) and weber(27)
Old 07-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #835
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lol Granlund has no business being a 4th line centre
the guy is pinner and weak af

any word on Pedan? was he re-signed? I don't remember hearing anything
wasn't that good defensively but has the tools to be a decent physical dman
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #836

He was qualified, but hasn't been signed yet.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #837

Quote:
Q: Henrik and Daniel Sedin called out the kids late last season for a lack of total preparation. You applauded the concern. How can you help in that respect so there’s not a sense of entitlement?

A: “I think it might have been an eye-opener for them how hard the league is and how good it is. You’ve got to focus all your energy on preparing and playing well and being a real pro about it. I talked to (Ben) Hutton and he had a great experience at the worlds and that will be helpful. As for Jake (Virtanen), he’ll get it one day — hopefully sooner than later."
Q&A with Burr.

Jake not impressing with his work ethic.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #838
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
That's one thing I don't like about Jake. He always shows the right personality or say the right shit but he doesn't seem to back up his talk.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #839
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
its gotta be hard for an 18-20 year old kid to get your first paycheque for a half a million a year contract.

remember when we all turned 18-19? full of hormones and finally old enough to goto the bar, still young making stupid decisions. now imagine if you're a rich celebrity.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #840
nah

Him hanging with that hollywood starlet and Justin Bieber didn't help with his teammates imo. He's focusing on other things rather than hockey being a 19 year old trying to make it big in the league.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #841

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
its gotta be hard for an 18-20 year old kid to get your first paycheque for a half a million a year contract.

remember when we all turned 18-19? full of hormones and finally old enough to goto the bar, still young making stupid decisions. now imagine if you're a rich celebrity.
Look at Bo Horvat. Same age. Played bigger role than Virtanen. Wasn't there a story he gain more muscle mass throughout the season goes when people usually lose it because of the grind?
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #842
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Jake was drafted for something to overshadow the canucks rebuild cheering for a local kid. Once Canucks are down rebuild hes gone
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #843
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Look at Bo Horvat. Same age. Played bigger role than Virtanen. Wasn't there a story he gain more muscle mass throughout the season goes when people usually lose it because of the grind?
ya obviously everyone doesnt get sucked into it. but theres lots of examples of guys who have the wheels fall off, and those who are professionals.

jake was apparently dating chloe moretz and hanging out with bieber.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #844

bringing a 19yr old back to his home city with a million dollars isnt the smartest thing, hes gonna party with his friends and try to show off. he should of stayed in the whl, and ahl next year
Old 07-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #845

Management definitely sees him as a marketing tool. They're featuring him in their season ticket ads on TV and radio, which indicates to me that they have no intention of sending him to Utica.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #846
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
lol all the hate for jake. Imagine Lucic signed here, thats why no players would want to come home. Unless the team is a contender or the player is near retirement
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #847

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Speaking of lucic... Glad we didnt sign him. Was at a wedding with him on Saturday and he was a fucking goof the whole time. I cant imagine him being here for the whole season without getting alcohol poisoning.

Bullet dodged.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #848
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,432 Times in 5,107 Posts
Give the guy a break, he's gotta start medicating himself to deal with the pain of being an overpriced buffoon not playing up to his salary level for the next 7 years. Oh hello Dustin Penner!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #849
nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Give the guy a break, he's gotta start medicating himself to deal with the pain of being an overpriced buffoon not playing up to his salary level for the next 7 years. Oh hello Dustin Penner!
He's going to be McJesus' personal body guard out there. They will only have 1 play for that line, "give it to Conor".
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2016, 06:13 AM   #850
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,432 Times in 5,107 Posts
Haha yah I'm sure that's what the old Oilers management is thinking too... Unfortunately for them the game has changed, unlike their mentality, so there's no such thing as a McSorley to Gretzky situation possible in today's NHL!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote