REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Honda To Discontinue The CR-Z

Honda CR-Z discontinued in Canada | CTV News | Autos
Quote:
Honda Canada will discontinue sales of its compact hybrid hatchback, the CR-Z, starting in 2017. Existing stock will continue to be available for sale from dealerships that have inventory.
The vehicle sold poorly from the start with only 517 units rolling off dealership lots in 2011, its first full year in the Canadian market. From there, things only got worse as sales figures declined–a total of 55 CR-Zs sold in the 2015 calendar year and only 1,324 copies have sold in Canada to date.
News of the CR-Z’s demise was confirmed by GoodCarBadCar after the outlet spoke with Honda Canada spokesperson Maki Inoue about the vehicle’s future. “As Honda aligns its product portfolio to best take advantage of growth opportunities in the marketplace, it will add a new Accord Hybrid, and discontinue [the] CR-Z this year,” said Inoue.
Related: 14 car and truck models that were discontinued in 2015
The CR-Z was initially touted as a sporty proposition to young buyers who craved excitement behind the wheel. The stakes were high as the compact hatchback was anticipated as a modern replacement for the much-loved CR-X–a car that developed a cult-following among Honda enthusiasts thanks to its sprightly dynamics, playful character and wallet-inflating efficiency.
The CR-X was a tough act to follow, but the recipe for continued success was clear: build a lightweight, efficient and sporty hatchback that packs an engaging performance punch along with plenty of attitude. This is where the CR-Z lost the plot. While the car’s styling was spot-on, its driving experience missed the mark, leaving drivers feeling somewhat disconnected from the vehicle in comparison to its predecessor.
On a positive note, Honda’s CR-Z was the first and only hybrid car available with a manual stick-shift transmission, and it was also the only two-seat hybrid available shy of a Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1 or Ferrari LaFerrari.
I briefly considered purchasing a CR-Z, but it really seemed to have an identity crisis when I test drove it.

The newer ones with an optional supercharger (197 hp) are intriguing, however.
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
CRZ was extremely slow and really bad on gas. Despite being a hybrid, I heard it only gets 30+mpg in real life.

People swap K20 into CRZ and gets about the same gas mileage, but huge weight savings and goes a lot faster because of increased power and ditching electric motor and heavy battery.

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I always thought of the Veloster as a more spiritual successor to the CRX than the CRZ.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Not very quick. Not particularly efficient. Not practical. What are you left with?
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Wait, they still make the CR-Z?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

This was the worst "sports" car attempt by Honda. The Hybrid sports cars you see nowadays are fast off the line with the electric motor and then fast up top with the gas motor. Older honda cars like ITR and S2k beat the crz in every way using less fancy technology so you're not buying this car for performance. From what I heard, it wasn't exactly the best on gas and a honda fit got better millage, so it's not exactly green. What you're left with is perhaps awesome looks? Veloster had that area beat as well.

I used to be a huge fan of Honda cars, but there's just nothing I want anymore. When they first launced this car in 2010, they they should have just put a K20R engine and either supercharge or turbocharge it to push 300hp+. Had they done this, it would have been the closest thing we would have seen to a Civic Type-R or call it CRX-R for that matter. People would have cared and this would still be be highly desirable today. Instead, they waited 6 years to come out with a turbo Civic Type R and we're still getting the watered down version in north america. They're 6 years too late.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Just bring the S660 to North America already please
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #8
Performance Moderator

Thanked 14,980 Times in 4,953 Posts
I did think it was cool being the only hybrid with a manual transmission on th market.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
it was a hybrid?!
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
theres another one planned for 2018, possibly turbocharged and not sucky

2018 Honda CR-Z Rendered, May Ditch Hybrid for New Turbo ? News ? Car and Driver
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lol i just never understood why they just didn't ditch that retarded hybrid motor and put a full on gas engine or a performance (read Si) engine on it instead

it had good potential when it was announced but it was pretty much bungled through its entire lifetime

makes you questions just how educated the people are behind this disaster
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:09 AM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Forget about the CRZ, bring the S660 to Canada

Japanese schoolgirl takes car salesman on test drive he?ll never forget in cool Honda$ad?Video? | RocketNews24
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
I don't know if they will ever bring the S660.
Japanese car manufactures never brought in a kei car into North America.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote