REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC Estimates for Fence - Any good repair shops? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709365-icbc-estimates-fence-any-good-repair-shops.html)

Oleophobic 06-24-2016 08:49 AM

ICBC Estimates for Fence - Any good repair shops?

Good morning,

My parents recently had a driver drive into their fence. They stayed at the scene, information was exchanged and a claim was filed with ICBC.

Now, ICBC is requesting that we provide them three different quotes from three different companies and they will decide which one to go with. I am wondering if anyone has been in this situation and could offer recommendations for reputable companies that build/repair fences.

Thanks

6o4__boi 06-24-2016 08:54 AM

what kinda fence are we talking about here and how bad was the damage?

Oleophobic 06-24-2016 09:44 AM

Hey it's a wooden fence with moderate damage on one side, nothing too major but there's basically a hole

*image deleted*

meme405 06-24-2016 09:49 AM

Pain to deal with this sort of shit. Extra stuff you have to add into a busy schedule that people needlessly have to deal with. I hate that.

Do a quick search for local small construction companies, and give them a call, mention right away that its an ICBC job and you need to get three quotes. They should be pretty happy to come out and have a look and give a price.

Would help if we know where you are located, some might know contractors who take on this sort of work.

yray 06-24-2016 10:01 AM

you can't get cash?

Mancini 06-24-2016 11:49 AM

They're unlikely to pay for a new fence. They're going to pay ACV (actual cash value). This is a depreciated value of the value of a used fence. It's similar to how a vehicle settlement is depreciated in a total loss. If you want to claim the whole value you'll need to go through your homeowners policy. They'll subrogate against icbc. Also, I'd approach them with 2 quotes. This isn't large damage and most homeowners wouldn't get 3 quotes for their own build. I've seen them accept this many times.

Oleophobic 06-24-2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8766546)
Pain to deal with this sort of shit. Extra stuff you have to add into a busy schedule that people needlessly have to deal with. I hate that.

Do a quick search for local small construction companies, and give them a call, mention right away that its an ICBC job and you need to get three quotes. They should be pretty happy to come out and have a look and give a price.

Would help if we know where you are located, some might know contractors who take on this sort of work.

Thanks
Yeah it's such a pain as I'm working long hours because it's a busy period for us and my parents don't speak good English so they can't really call around. They tried calling a Chinese place (some independent shop) and the response was they haven't dealt with this stuff before and that my parents should tell ICBC to talk to them if there are any questions. Obviously it doesn't work like that so I'm going to have to step in.

I'll search up construction companies in the meantime. Just thought someone might have some recommendations.

!Tigger 06-26-2016 11:00 AM

did this happen a few days ago? on a corner of a busy st with a mazda 3?!

godwin 06-26-2016 11:58 AM

If ICBC is paying for it, go to places like Rona, Home Depot etc and get their installers come and look at it, email you a quote, then tell them to email to your adjuster at ICBC. Make sure they do everything color matching, landscaping etc.

Those places open late, most of them have Chinese speaking staff.. and not like you are paying for the work anyways. Why are your parents going cheap on other people's screw up and go to an independent shop? Depends how bad it is, you can get a whole fence / footing etc replaced.

In fact I will give a call to Sudbury cedar, they do good work too.

It is not that hard, marginally inconvenient, just need to call and large box stores will send contractors out. It is highly unlikely they will patch the whole, chances are they will replace that section if not the whole thing.