REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 06-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Printer recommendation?

Looking for a new printer/scanner combo, I could do without all the bells and whistles but I guess most come with them standard now a days anyways.

Looking for somthing that can print on relatively thick card stock for wedding invitations as well, this is kind of the main reason I'm looking for a printer, as well as needing a scanner

Budget is hopefully under $200, dunno how good of a printer I can get for that?

With that budget would it be best just to grab a Costco special or what?
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I would first decide on ink vs laser as that would cut your choices down by half.

Every hates on ink these days but I see a market for them still. You can get scanner ink combos starting at 50 bucks on sale and ink image prints look really good. The cons, and everyone hates them for these, are expensive refill costs and ink drying up.

Laser is nice and best bang for the buck if you're printing more than a few pages a month. If your wedding invites have a lot of solid colors and shapes it will look pretty good. If you have a lot of photos and gradients, household laser printers don't look that great. I would invest in getting it printed in a shop or online.

Get the cheapest one that does the job because they're all poorly built. Low end printers are quite good in terms of scanning and printing quality for day-to-day stuff but I would farm out professional printing stuff like wedding invites.

I've done one sided invites before though 4x6 photo lab prints. I'm sure the photo labs hate me for doing it but it's hella cheap.

Also keep in mind that you have to add refill costs to your purchase budget because most printers will run out of ink/toner in no time.

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 06-30-2016 at 09:49 AM.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
i have a hard time recommending ANY printer. every single one has some sort of fucked up quirks and issues. we've used several Brother printers at our small office and when they work they're fine, but wireless on them is absolute garbage to set up and it malfunctions from time to time

just buy the best one you can afford from costco and return it if its no good.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Ended up with the HP officejet pro 8720, right now it's $70 off for $168 at Costco.

I fucking hate HP products but this was by far the best deal for the price. Reviews are good and it does everything I needed. Plus the color printing resolution is more than double most of the printers I looked at elsewhere for the price.

See how it goes. I find HP usually dumps as much software as humanly possible with their shitty products so I hope I can install drivers and some very basic software for it
Old 07-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #5
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
what is it about HP stuff that makes you go meh? just curious as you know i'm also shopping for a printer.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote