REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Canada Post Strike

As we know Canada Post might be going on strike anytime soon.

What would happen and how long will it be? Will it be like several months like BC Teachers strike?

Apparently all the businesses(including online stores) and governments are preparing for it.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,578 Times in 4,295 Posts
CRA just had a strike vote last week as well
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
CRA just had a strike vote last week as well
So no one is processing tax and doing audit?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Can I go strike too?
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
I laughed when I read that as well, stay out as long as you want CRA nobody will give a fuck other then the Government not getting it's tax revenue.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
As we know Canada Post might be going on strike anytime soon.

What would happen and how long will it be? Will it be like several months like BC Teachers strike?

Apparently all the businesses(including online stores) and governments are preparing for it.
I work as a letter carrier for Canada Post and I hear that the corporation will probably lock us out before we strike.

Not sure how long it will last and nobody will able to answer that question for you.

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
It may be off topic, but CRA has so many employees. I wonder why.

IRS has approx. 89,500 employees and CRA has approx. 45,000 employees.

Population of Canada: 35 million
Population of USA: 319 million

If you look at the ratio:

1 CRA employee / 777 people
1 IRS employee / 3564 people

That's approx 4.6 times more employees, which is quite a difference.
I don't know how tax agencies work, but CRA must be doing something inefficient or have too many employees?

In theory, CRA should be able to operate with 9,782 employees, not 45,000.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriverman View Post
I work as a letter carrier for Canada Post and I hear that the corporation will probably lock us out before we strike.

Not sure how long it will last and nobody will able to answer that question for you.
Lock employees out? How is that possible? I think they have a union contract?
Old 06-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
It may be off topic, but CRA has so many employees. I wonder why.

IRS has approx. 89,500 employees and CRA has approx. 45,000 employees.

Population of Canada: 35 million
Population of USA: 319 million

If you look at the ratio:

1 CRA employee / 777 people
1 IRS employee / 3564 people

I don't know how tax agencies work, but CRA must be doing something inefficient or have too many employees?

Watch this video:
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #10
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Never heard crazy stories about CRA but IRS is scary as fuck. Perhaps just way too many cases of tax evasion in the States.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Never heard crazy stories about CRA but IRS is scary as fuck. Perhaps just way too many cases of tax evasion in the States.
That's what people say... when I read news about CRA cracking down small business owners tax miscalculations and all that stuff, people comment how scary CRA can be because they collect tax/interest/penulties very aggressively.

But then people comment stuff like "You think CRA is scary? Try dealing with IRS. They make CRA look like Girl Guides."
Old 06-29-2016, 12:07 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,846 Times in 885 Posts
Quote:

How you are able to draw the conclusion that the IRS is efficient (and therefore the CRA is inefficient), simply based on the # of employees to population ratio is concerning.

What about how much tax is collected? What about how much tax is uncollected that you don't know about because there isn't enough enforcement? What if the IRS is collecting "4.6x times" less than it is able to do?

Efficiency/inefficiency is much more than just the # of employees you pull from wikipedia.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
How you are able to draw the conclusion that the IRS is efficient (and therefore the CRA is inefficient), simply based on the # of employees to population ratio is concerning.

What about how much tax is collected? What about how much tax is uncollected that you don't know about because there isn't enough enforcement? What if the IRS is collecting "4.6x times" less than it is able to do?

Efficiency/inefficiency is much more than just the # of employees you pull from wikipedia.
yeah I get your point, but to be fair, what you're saying is "what if" statement too.

What if IRS was collecting more taxes than CRA?

I don't know for the fact, so this argument is invalid too, but yea, I get your point as well.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Title was misleading.. came in here thinking they really did go strike already but just google and its July 02
Old 06-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #15

Last chance to send mail to ensure delivery: Canada Post
Josh Elliott, CTVNews.ca
Published Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:14AM EDT

When do I need to send mail to beat a Canada Post service disruption? | CTV News

Canada Post vehicles sit outside a sorting depot in the Ville St-Laurent borough of Montreal, in this June 6, 2011 photo. (Graham Hughes / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Whether you need to pay your phone bill, return an online purchase or send a card to your grandmother, Wednesday is the last day to mail your items and ensure they are delivered on time in the event of a service disruption, Canada Post says.

With no deal in place between Canada Post and the union representing its employees, and a July 2 deadline just around the corner, mail delivery in Canada appears on the verge of grinding to a halt. Canada Post says June 29 is the last possible day to mail an item without it becoming trapped in possible lockout limbo, although you may have to pay for a premium delivery option to get that package to its destination on time.

If you're concerned about a speedy delivery, Canada Post says it's already too late to send an expedited parcel through the mail to a destination in your general region, or to send an Xpresspost letter nationally or regionally. However, you can still send a parcel anywhere in the country, if you can get it to the post office by the end of the day and send it as a priority package. Wednesday is also the last possible day to send an expedited parcel or Xpresspost letter to a local destination, without it getting stuck along the way.

Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers have been without a contract since 2015, and the two sides remain far apart with a negotiation deadline looming on July 2. The union said on Tuesday that it has asked Canada Post for a two-week extension on the "cooling-off period that would otherwise entail a termination of their contract on July 2."

Canada Post says it's already advised businesses to make contingency plans in the event of a work stoppage. Spokesperson Jon Hamilton says Canada Post is also open to the possibility of using volunteers to deliver social assistance cheques, although they "are not at that point just yet."
Old 06-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #16

What you need to know about the potential Canada Post strike
Important information for managing the potential Canada Post strike on July 2

CBC News Posted: Jun 29, 2016 5:10 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 29, 2016 5:19 PM ET

What you need to know about the potential Canada Post strike - Latest Hamilton news - CBC Hamilton

Postal workers duing a 24 hour strike in Calgary, Alta. on June 8, 2011. The Canadian Union of Postal Workers is in the position to strike again as of July 2, 2016. (Jeff McIntosh/Canadian Press)

As of July 2, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers will be in a position to strike, which will stop all mail delivery and services through Canada Post.

Updates are being posted on the Canada Post and CUPW websites, but there are a few key points to know in the case of a strike.

It's not the first time

This is potentially the fifth widespread disruption to mail delivery in just over three decades in Canada.

The last labour disruption, in 2011, lasted three weeks. Postal workers were ordered back when the Federal government tabled back-to-work legislation. Prior strikes have been held in 1987, 1991 and 1997.

The Liberal government under Prime Minister Trudeau has confirmed that the government would not table back-to-work legislation in the case of a strike.

This may be the fifth Canada Post strike in just over three decades.

But you do still have time

Wednesday June 29 is the last day to ensure delivery by June 30 for local expedited parcels, Xpress post and Priority Shipping.

Mail service is cancelled this Friday July 1 for the Canada Day holiday.

Essential services will continue

The only service in the event of a strike will be the delivery of pension and social assistance cheques, which the CUPW has guaranteed in agreements with Canada Post.

The union has also ensured the safety of any live animals caught up in the mailing system at the time of a strike.

For those receiving cheques during the strike, there is a maximum of two days of delivery each month, to be determined by the union.

Mail delivery could stop as early as July 2nd if Canada Posts forces a lockout or the unions strike. (CBC News)

A strike is not an excuse

All utility ills and payments are due on schedule, and late payments will not be accepted as a result of the strike. All individuals are recommended to use online payment systems and E-Billing to mitigate any late charges or fees.

Hydro provider Horizon Utilities has a guide to self-serve billing for all Hamilton and St. Catharines customers on their website.

National corporations including Bell and Rogers have already been notifying customers to use online services to pay their bills, the due dates of which will not be affected by a potential strike.

Customers are reminded of online banking sites to manage payments, and the Canadian Revenue Agency's website is available for government dealings throughout the strike period.

President and CEO of Canada Post Deepak Chopra has officially rejected a request to extend the July 2 deadline for negotiations, according to the CUPW. (Pawel Dwulit/Canadian Press)

It's not looking good

Ninety per cent of union members voted in favour of a strike, and Canada Post CEO Deepak Chopra officially rejected a letter requesting a two-week extension for the July 2 lockout.

The work stoppage would affect approximately 50,000 workers across Canada, including mail delivery personnel.

For more information and updates visit Canada Post's website and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I guess delivering mail two times a week is too much for these folks to handle.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
lol we already got hit with ppl preparing for this. Those who use CP as their main delivery is going to have to use FedEx/UPS/Purolator. Worked 11.5hrs today

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #19
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
about 15% of my 2016 revenue is somewhere between a submitted invoice, and a cheque coming in the mail. all my payments come via cheque in the mail. i've got 8 employees who will always get their pay cheques on time, and mountains of monthly bills and operating costs, who gets hurt here?

fuck unions
Old 06-29-2016, 09:45 PM   #20
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriverman View Post

what are you guys requesting? how much of a wage / benefits increase ... and what's your general reasoning for the request?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #21
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I don't think they were asking for any increases, the gov't is looking to take away some of the benefits. There is probably more to it though.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #22
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Oh boy, here we go again............. union bashing and "How come they get this?" and "How come I don't get that." My butt is hurt 'cause I work my ass off and don't get half the benefits they do, and it's my tax dollars, so it IS my business, yada, yada, yada......... it is what it is.

Get over it.

We all have friends and relatives who are nurses, teachers, bus drivers, postal workers, cops, firefighters, longshorman, etc. And, everybody wants what they think is fair. Sometimes it is about shit getting taken away. Anyway, I'll leave it at that, sit back, and watch the gong show that usually results from these types of threads.

Carry on carrying on................ god bless.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2016, 10:24 PM   #23
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
President and CEO of Canada Post Deepak Chopra

maybe this deepak chopra can talk them out of a strike

Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
A friend of mine is a mail carrier. If my front splitters don't arrive because of this I am going to hold him accountable.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:55 AM   #25
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
If it is a long strike, private mail courier forwarding companies will pop out of the woodwork. Being a stamp collector, I have a few of these private label stamps from previous postal strikes. They were used to forward mail to the US. One local, well, sort of local, company called the BECEMS printed and used "Juan de Fuca Despatch" stamps to forward mail to Port Angeles, Wa. from Victoria, BC. during the 1965, 1975 and 1992 postal strike years. A valid US postage stamp was used along with the surcharge (for lack of a better word) stamp/label.

I think I'll do that and send mail to el bastardo. Might turn out to be a worthy collectable, LOL.

BTW, these postal label/stamps come under the category of "Cinderella" Stamps. Stamps used, but not issued by the originating government postal administration. Usually must be accompanied with a valid postage stamp.

As a side note, this company issued beautiful labels for Expo 86. I need to get a hold of a set.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: