REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 6,967 Times in 2,123 Posts
^I always imagined you as the type of person to collect stamps...

I use loomis or purolator for all business purposes, and for most of my personal use. I can only imagine the companies who will switch to private carriers because of this strike, and never return to using Canada post.

Good luck to the canada post employees, their pretty much already working for a dead company, hope this doesn't become the last nail in the coffin.
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #27
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 7,959 Times in 3,122 Posts
Been collecting since about 8 years old. Canadian stamps is my focus.

I do own some beauties............ like most people who scour the city for garage sales, I scour the world for stamp auctions in hopes of a good find.

I don't think Canada Post will ever go under, but they are making some really stupid decisions.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #28
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Lots of business (retailer, eCommerce) use CP because they deliver to buttfuck nowhere that other carriers don't bother. Rates are not bad either for small parcel and intercity.

I wouldn't say dead business.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #29
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Lots of business (retailer, eCommerce) use CP because they deliver to buttfuck nowhere that other carriers don't bother. Rates are not bad either for small parcel and intercity.

I wouldn't say dead business.
This is not true. I'm a seller on amazon for 2 years now. Having shipped so much items to northern territories, it is always either ups or fedex. Canada post simply cannot deliver there, they cater to urban or semi-rural destinations.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #30
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,277 Times in 853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
This is not true. I'm a seller on amazon for 2 years now. Having shipped so much items to northern territories, it is always either ups or fedex. Canada post simply cannot deliver there, they cater to urban or semi-rural destinations.
you work?

that's not right. get more money from China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #31
Love...Inspiration...Drea ms...

Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,852 Posts
ship from china

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #32
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I would argue that our tax system is just so damn complex. I would argue more so than the Americans. The main reason being that the Canadian government uses the CRA to distribute social benefits. There is something like 40 federal tax credits. There is a tax credit in BC to teachers who participate in after school programs worth almost nothing. In a lot of other countries, you only have to file a tax return if you own your own business. /end rant

Back on topic, I hope these guys go back to work. You never get paid what your worth. You get paid what you can leverage. If Canada post axed these guys, would it be that difficult to find replacements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
It may be off topic, but CRA has so many employees. I wonder why.

IRS has approx. 89,500 employees and CRA has approx. 45,000 employees.

Population of Canada: 35 million
Population of USA: 319 million

If you look at the ratio:

1 CRA employee / 777 people
1 IRS employee / 3564 people

That's approx 4.6 times more employees, which is quite a difference.
I don't know how tax agencies work, but CRA must be doing something inefficient or have too many employees?

In theory, CRA should be able to operate with 9,782 employees, not 45,000.
josayeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 4,547 Times in 1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josayeee View Post
I would argue that our tax system is just so damn complex. I would argue more so than the Americans. The main reason being that the Canadian government uses the CRA to distribute social benefits. There is something like 40 federal tax credits. There is a tax credit in BC to teachers who participate in after school programs worth almost nothing. In a lot of other countries, you only have to file a tax return if you own your own business. /end rant

Back on topic, I hope these guys go back to work. You never get paid what your worth. You get paid what you can leverage. If Canada post axed these guys, would it be that difficult to find replacements?
I don't think Canada Post is allowed to axe those guys.
It's under the union contract, I'm pretty sure.

Unless Canada Post decided to breach the contract and decides to bring this to court and fight against their workers, I don't think it will happen.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #34
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Just because you use a courier it doesn't mean they are the ones to deliver it to the final destination. They deliver a lot of stuff to small towns that other couriers don't as it wouldn't make economic sense for them to do so. Worked there during christmas before and you see lots of boxes with tags from other large couriers.

I think one thing that the union is trying to make possible is having Canada Post set up as a bank for rural locations. Sounds odd to me but i've never lived in a place that small.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #35
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
Just because you use a courier it doesn't mean they are the ones to deliver it to the final destination. They deliver a lot of stuff to small towns that other couriers don't as it wouldn't make economic sense for them to do so. Worked there during christmas before and you see lots of boxes with tags from other large couriers.
canada post hands it off to fedex. happens all the time. i know this.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #36
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Quote:
CP delivers everywhere... Purolator doesn't deliver to rural address or PO Box, packages are always held at depot and customer have to pick it up. Puro has arguably the best flat rate which is why they are being used a lot to the dismay of customer

But what do I know I ran projects for one of the largest ecommerce retailers in Canada for years.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #37
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 1,900 Times in 766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josayeee View Post
2016 tax year teachers and ECE's get an additional automatic tax credit for school supplies while students lost out on the the textbook credit .... The power of labour unions!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Canada Post workers propose new deal, won't strike before Wednesday: union
No. 1 sticking point in negotiations involves changes to employee pension plans

The Canadian Press Posted: Jul 02, 2016 12:11 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 02, 2016 12:31 PM ET

Canada Post workers propose new deal, won't strike before Wednesday: union - Business - CBC News

As of Saturday, Canada Post workers are now in a legal strike position. But the union representing the employees says it has presented a new offer and workers won't be striking before Wednesday. ((Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press))

The union representing postal workers says it has presented Canada Post with new offers, and workers won't be striking before Wednesday.

Provided that the Canadian Union of Postal Workers gives 72 hours notice, 50,000 of its members are legally allowed to strike starting Saturday, and Canada Post is also allowed to lock out its workers.

But CUPW representatives say the union hasn't presented its notice.

The union and Canada Post both say the number one sticking point in negotiations involves changes to employee pension plans.

Canada Post tabled new contract proposals a week ago, and on Friday, the union came forward with a counter-offer.

The union is proposing wage hikes, and rejecting Canada Post's suggestion that new employees get a pension plan that operates like an RRSP, called defined contribution, instead of the defined benefit plan for current employees that guarantees a set level of retirement benefits.

The last time Canada Post experienced a work stoppage was in 2011, which included 10 days of rotating strikes and a lockout before employees were legislated back to work by Ottawa.

The last time Canada Post experienced a work stoppage was in 2011, which included 10 days of rotating strikes and a lockout. (CBC)
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 PM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

Canada Post issues 72-hour lockout notice, work stoppage possible Friday
'They're locking the doors and will try to starve us into submission,' union president Mike Palecek says

By Pete Evans, CBC News Posted: Jul 05, 2016 3:06 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 05, 2016 2:55 PM ET

Canada Post issues 72-hour lockout notice, work stoppage possible Friday - Business - CBC News

Canada Post has issued a lockout notice to the union that represents postal workers. (Andrew Vaughan/Canadian Press)

Canada Post said it intends to lock out its workers starting on Friday after months of negotiations have failed to make a labour deal between the postal carrier and its largest union.

The move comes hours after Canada Post said its latest offer presented on June 25 was fair and reasonable, and that it still hoped to negotiate a deal with the union.

The Crown corporation blamed prolonged negotiations, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers' strike mandate and the financial cost of a rapid decline in mail volume.

"Nearly all of our largest e-commerce customers have already moved most or all of their parcel volumes to other carriers, resulting in a volume decline of at least 75 per cent from these customers," the carrier said in a statement Tuesday.

But the 72-hour notice does not necessarily mean the mail will stop being delivered as of Friday.

Rather, Canada Post says, the lockout notice allows the carrier to "take measures that are necessary to respond to the changing business reality."

Both sides say they are hopeful a deal can be reached before then.

In its response, CUPW said the corporation is using the lockout notice to drive 50,000 workers "out onto the streets without pay in an effort to impose steep concessions on them."

"They refused to negotiate fairly with us and now they're locking the doors and will try to starve us into submission," said CUPW president Mike Palecek. "Canada Post has been out in the media for weeks saying there's going to be an interruption and now they're complaining there's no mail or parcels in the system," he told the CBC's Metro Morning radio show.

"Jeez, I wonder why?"

A key sticking point in negotiations involves changes to employee pension plans. Essentially, the mail service wants to switch new hires to a defined contribution plan, where payouts are not guaranteed. That's different from the defined benefit plan that current members get, which guarantees a fixed benefit regardless of investment returns, similar to CPP.

Canada Post's pension plan posted an annual surplus of $1.2 billion last year, but has a solvency deficit of almost $6 billion, the fund's annual report shows.

The Crown corporation said Monday that CUPW's demands are "not affordable" and would add $1 billion in costs over the life of a new contract. The union disputes that figure and says adding new members paying into the pension and services for customers will more than pay for themselves.

The union accuses the corporation of creating uncertainty by warning the public to avoid the post office. "We believe they are creating a crisis," Palecek said. "The position of the pension plan is improving."

'Essential' items will be delivered

The union also says it wants to close the gap between what its urban carriers are paid, and its rural ones. Mail carriers in rural and suburban regions are typically female, and make as much as 28 per cent less for doing the same job, the union says.

Canada Post has said that in the event of a full work disruption, it will not operate mail and parcels will not be delivered, and no new items will be accepted.

But Ottawa has deemed Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan, Working Income Tax Benefit and the Canada Child Benefit cheques "essential" even during a labour disruption.

Spokesman Jon Hamilton said Canada Post has a memorandum of agreement with the union "where the federal socio-economic cheques will be delivered."

"In the event of a work disruption we would arrange ... delivery one day of the month," he said Monday.

The last time there was a work stoppage at Canada Post was in 2011, an impasse that ended when Ottawa legislated an end to the dispute with controversial back-to-work legislation.

The current Liberal government said Tuesday it has no plans to intervene at this time.

"I encourage both parties to continue their discussions, and I remain hopeful that an agreement can be reached by the parties," Employment Minister Mary Ann Mihychuk said in a statement. "Federal mediators are assisting the parties in their negotiations," and added that Ottawa "has contingency plans in place" should any mail service interruption happen.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:36 AM   #40
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Never heard crazy stories about CRA but IRS is scary as fuck. Perhaps just way too many cases of tax evasion in the States.
I heard that families of victims of Sep 11/01 asked for a filing extension. IRS said yes. CRA said no.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #41
MG1

One can only hope that the notice of lockout will light a fire under the asses of the parties involved - step up the negotiations a notch or two.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #42
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
canada post hands it off to fedex. happens all the time. i know this.
Fedex hands off to Canada Post. Since you are a pro shipper go over to your Fedex Ship Manager and tell me how much it costs to ship a package to Yellowknife. Then quote the same package by Canada Post.

You've been screwing your customers if you are using Fedex/UPS to remote destinations.
roopi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,114 Times in 923 Posts
Obviously Gululu doesn't fxxking know shxt. It is a well known fact that all the private commercial couriers only run their own thing on the easy and profitable lines. For routes like that, their services range from being on par with to significantly better than Canada Post / USPS.

But for the remote routes, it is quite common for the private couriers to hand that final mile delivery back to Canada Post / USPS. Both Canada Post and USPS have a mandate to provide mail service to all locations in the country, and as the public mail service provider, they regularly lose $$$ on these remote location deliveries.

Of course, Gululu thinks China Post beats them all.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #44
Zombie Mod

Thanked 4,318 Times in 1,249 Posts
Canada Post open to union request for 30-day extension to avoid lockout

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers today called for a 30-day truce to allow the two sides to negotiate a new contract without a strike or lockout, a request Canada Post management says it can go along with only if the union agrees to binding arbitration.

The postal service has given notice it will lock out unionized employees starting Monday if there's no deal.

But the union says a cooling off period would keep the mail moving under the old contract while "intensive negotiations" continue.

Later on Friday, the Crown corporation said it would be fine with the 30-day proposal, but only if "both parties must agree to binding arbitration" if no deal is reached during that time.

The union has been reluctant to go for arbitration in the past because any deal that emerges can be appealed, and then tied up in court proceedings for years.

The union says it rejects arbitration as a "matter of principle." CBC News has contacted the union for a response to the company's agreement to negotiate for 30 days then arbitrate, but thus far the union has not returned our request for comment.

The two sides remain far apart on several major issues after seven months of negotiations. In addition to pay, working hours and other issues, the two sides are mainly divided about the future of the company pension plan.

The union said in its Friday release it would willing to drop its unfair labour practices complaint if Canada Post agrees to the 30-day extension.

Canada Post had initially said it would lock out the 50,000 unionized employees today, but later extended the deadline to Monday at 12:01 a.m. ET.

CUPW said it filed a formal complaint Wednesday alleging that Canada Post has refused to negotiate fairly but says it would withdraw that if the company agrees to the 30-day extension.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #45
MG1

^That's what I want to see in this thread. Uptodate info, without everyone going all Gululu or Lady Gagaga...........

Last edited by MG1; 07-08-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #46

Thanked 1,361 Times in 561 Posts
Basically CP called the bluff. Now union is left with little choices. What a bunch of monkies.

Oh well, I'm just glad my passport would be here in time then.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #47
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 4,861 Times in 1,636 Posts
why do all the CP union workers keep saying in interviews "we don't want to strike. CP is forcing us into a lock out. i cant afford time off i need to work!" when they voted like 95% in favor of striking? each member individually voted to strike.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #48
Zombie Mod

Thanked 4,318 Times in 1,249 Posts
BAH

Canada Post work stoppage likely as 30-day ‘cooling-off’ truce falls apart

A Canada Post work stoppage again looks likely.

A tentative agreement between Canada Post and the union representing 50,000 Canadian postal workers fell apart late Friday. The union had proposed to implement a 30-day “cooling-off” period accompanied by intense negotiations in an effort to avoid a lock-out or strike action.

Canada Post agreed, but only on condition that the two parties go to binding arbitration after – a counter-proposal the union rejected.

The two parties have been hurtling toward a work stoppage for the past several weeks, with both sides seemingly refusing to budge on key contract issues. Canada Post has been poised to lock out its workers as early as Monday.

On Friday morning, however, it seemed progress was being made as the Canadian Union of Postal Workers issued a statement asking for a reprieve.
“Our members, their families and all Canadians do not deserve to have this threat of a lockout ‘looming’ over our heads from a profitable public service,” said Mike Palecek, national president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers, in the release.
“Postal workers want to work and people need to know that it’s safe to use the mail system.”

The union said it was prepared to engage in “intensive negotiations” with Canada Post during the cooling-off period, and would drop a labour practices complaint against the Crown corporation that it launched two days ago as a sign of “good faith.”

Just after noon, Canada Post agreed.

“We are fully prepared to negotiate intensively for the next 30 days under an extended ‘cooling off period’ to reach negotiated settlements,” the corporation said in a statement. “However, if the parties are unable to successfully conclude negotiations within that period, both parties must agree to binding arbitration.”

Late Friday afternoon, the union rejected that condition.

Canada Post had agreed earlier in the week to an offer from the labour minister for binding arbitration to help settle the outstanding contract issues, but the union refused to allow an arbitrator to step in.

As recently as Thursday, the two sides appeared to be far apart on several major issues after seven months of negotiations. Some postal workers have been without a contract since late 2015, while others have been without one since January 2016.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said his government would not be intervening in the dispute with back-to-work legislation, should there be a lockout or strike.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #49

Thanked 2,114 Times in 923 Posts
Makes me wonder why the union is refusing the binding arbitration -- generally, binding arbitration arrangements are as good as things could get. The moment the workers go on strike, everybody loses.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #50

Thanked 1,361 Times in 561 Posts
Fuck me. Bye bye passport! See you in another week