REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Class 5 Road test - Surrey location

Hi guys
Anyone recently done their Class 5 road test, specifically from the Surrey location? Which highway do they take you to? Anything you remember about the route or any other tips about that particular location? I have my test this week, any pointers or anything you remember from your test would be appreciated!
thanks!
Advertisement
amshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #2
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Took mine there.

You go down King George hwy at some point. They test your lane changes, approaching a cross walk correctly. I don't remember the street but in my case there was a park and a school (both 30 limits) now that school is over it should be 50 in the school zone though. Anyways, I found the N test to be more difficult. At the end if they ask you to back into your stall, you pass. If they ask you to pull forward into your stall, you failed. Srs
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2016, 05:40 AM   #3
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
lol i know that's a "thing" ^ thats been around, but my cousin backed into his stall for his N test, and failed. So i dont think its true.

But op, as snails said, Class 5 seemed easier than the N exam, which i agree.

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

I took a N and L a long time ago. If you already know your basics there should be some driving schools you can pay to take you on the route.

I remember a playground, school, don't lane change in intersections or railroad crossings. Be very clear that you're shoulder checking, to the point of even moving your shoulders/torso.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
I did my Class 6 there last month.
The route I assume would be similar...

Go down 78 ave and right onto King George
Left at 76 ave just past the Superstore.
it's a park there and signs show 50kph.
road curves right with plenty of blind crosswalks, so watch out.
the road merges into one lane as it changes into 138 st.

from here they took me around to more neighbourhoods and elementary school areas.
only highway I had to go on was westbound Hwy 10 from King George. goes 70kph to 80kph at one point.

smooth inputs (steering, accelerating, braking) checking mirrors, shoulder checking, scanning intersections. If you've been driving for a year then that stuff should be natural by now. Just be aware of your speed as you may feel that you're going to slow but in fact everyone else is just speeding.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #6
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Thanks for the advice especially the route info! I'm nervous as heck.
amshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Here's something that helped me on my road test...left right center when you go to an intersection, call it aloud when you do it. Sounds kind of weird but it brought their attention to the fact that you were doing it.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,524 Times in 833 Posts
For your mirror checks and shoulder checks ever so slightly exaggerate your movements to make them more obvious.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,213 Posts
I've yet to hear anyone in my circle of friends who failed their class 5 test. As long as you stick to the rules and don't majorly fuck up you'll be fine.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

^ yeah, they're a lot more harsh for class 7 tests because in class 5 they assume you've been driving around for at least the past 2 years. I remember doing a left turn with a pretty big blind spot and cut someone off and still passed, albeit the tester made me do a whole bunch more of lefts turns afterwards lol.
Cwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #11
degenerate extraordinaire

Skim through the booklet, and then pay attention to your "normal" driving habits. See what can be improved and try to fix those.

Most examiners during class 5 won't require you to do those ridiculously exaggerated shoulder checks. If anything, they may question it. They want to see you drive like how you normally do. Just don't do anything dumb then you'll be fine. This test is much more relaxed than your N test.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote