REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Dozens run over and killed in France (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709614-dozens-run-over-killed-france.html)

Manic! 07-14-2016 01:43 PM

Dozens run over and killed in France

Nice France Truck - CNN.com

Quote:

The mayor of Nice, France, tweeted that a truck ran into a crowd on Bastille Day, killing multiple people.
Mayor Christian Estrosi said late Thursday that there are "tens of dead."
"Dear Nice residents, the driver of a truck appears to have caused tens of deaths. Stay for the moment in your homes. More info to come."

Looks like it was more than one person in a semi. Eye witnesses say the truck sped up when it hit people. Gun shots where also heard but don't know if it came from the truck.

StylinRed 07-14-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

A lorry has struck a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in the southern French city of Nice, with reports of many dead.

The incident took place on the famous Promenade des Anglais during a firework display, media reports say.

One image on Twitter showed about a dozen people lying on the street, some being tended to.

The local prefecture has urged people in the area to remain indoors, calling the incident "an attack".

Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi said that "a lorry driver appears to have killed dozens of people".

He urged residents to stay indoors.

Some reports spoke of shots being exchanged between police and the occupants of the lorry but these have not been confirmed.

Social media video showed people running through the streets in panic following the incident.

A journalist with the Nice Matin newspaper reported from the scene that there was "a lot of blood and without doubt many injured".

An Agence France-Presse reporter said the incident took place as the firework display was ending, adding: "We saw people hit and bits of debris flying around."

Another image on Twitter showed a white lorry stopped in the middle of the promenade with damage to its front, and four police officers observing it while taking cover behind a palm tree.
'Many dead' as lorry hits crowd in Nice - BBC News

the world needs something to calm everyone down -_-

Sid Vicious 07-14-2016 02:08 PM

just goes to show anti gun fanatics that if the intent to kill exists, there are plenty of easy methods that do not involve guns.

Manic! 07-14-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8772414)
just goes to show anti gun fanatics that if the intent to kill exists, there are plenty of easy methods that do not involve guns.

If you want to kill a bunch of random people if you want to kill a bunch of white cops a gun is the way to go.

radioman 07-14-2016 02:21 PM

What a sad story.

I'm not saying this as a joke but the only time I see the world starting to "work" together and not do stupid shit is the day Aliens land on the planet and we realize how insignificant we are.

swiftshift 07-14-2016 02:25 PM

Tragic..

MarkyMark 07-14-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8772414)

I'll take trying to dodge a car over a bullet any day of the week. Sure there will always be a way to kill someone regardless but that doesn't mean that the most efficient top choice method should be easy as pie to get.

StylinRed 07-14-2016 02:39 PM

They're saying 30 dead so far and 100 injured now.. Jesus

I wonder if it's an Isis supporter or a part of the neo-nazi group whose plans were foiled just before UEFA (they didn't find all suspects of that group yet) or just a mad man

Verdasco 07-14-2016 02:43 PM

60 dead confirmed now and 100 injured

Verdasco 07-14-2016 02:45 PM

'60 dead' after truck crashes into crowd at Bastille Day celebrations in Nice 'terror attack'

6o4__boi 07-14-2016 02:52 PM

holy shit...RIP
that is just fucked up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioman (Post 8772419)
I'm not saying this as a joke but the only time I see the world starting to "work" together and not do stupid shit is the day Aliens land on the planet and we realize how insignificant we are.

wouldn't be surprised if we wiped each other out by the time an alien invasion comes to Earth

Eastwood 07-14-2016 02:57 PM

73 Confirmed dead now.

They're saying the terrorist got out of the truck after driving 2km into the crowd and started shooting a gun randomly at people.

To me it sounds like this is another case of gun violence. Ban all guns. Oh wait...

Liquid_o2 07-14-2016 02:58 PM

If this ends up being a terrorist attack, how long do France and western nations continue to experience this pain until a full-blown war occurs?

Just so sad and terrible.

AzNightmare 07-14-2016 02:59 PM

wtf, One truck killed 60 people??? Or I guess one massive truck in a crowded place, and the driver just went GTA and steamrolled the crowd??

:fulloffuck:

edit: Oh, guns involved too?

Manic! 07-14-2016 03:13 PM

Live stream:

Verdasco 07-14-2016 03:18 PM

guns and grenades found inside truck, and eye witnesses said ak-47 used to spray down people.

$2700 + $300 + maybe head armor ?

GS8 07-14-2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioman (Post 8772419)
What a sad story.

http://i.imgur.com/dwuto.jpg

The_Situation 07-14-2016 03:56 PM

fucking atheists

inv4zn 07-14-2016 04:12 PM

Fucking hell I haven't been this angry at world news in a while.

As absolutely terrible and fucked up as any type of random attack to kill people is, deadly attacks in a setting with adults (concert, nightclub, w/e) is far different than an attack on a fucking beach with children and families. Fuck.

France has had an incredibly hard year, and something drastic may happen in the next few days. Fucking hell.

Jmac 07-14-2016 05:01 PM

CNN now saying 77 confirmed dead. Reporting shots fired first then truck ran people down.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 07-14-2016 05:10 PM

why is this happening..? This is very tragic. Why is France targeted multiple times?

MG1 07-14-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 (Post 8772444)
If this ends up being a terrorist attack, how long do France and western nations continue to experience this pain until a full-blown war occurs?

The problem is, there is no country to wage a war against. Waging a war against terrorists/terrorism is pretty difficult. The next killer could be your neighbour, your coworker, a family member. It's pretty scary that people have such weak minds that they can be recruited to kill innocent people. I wonder what makes these people tick. Have they not experienced love and compassion? You have to be pretty cold hearted.

I guess it's back to having a pretty pathetic brain - to let religion or whatever organization it is, dictate how you behave. That's not thinking on your own.

Selfish, brainless, cowardly, scums.

This event took place in a large gathering. Perfect opportunity to cause the most amount of damage. Terrorists want people to be on edge. Create paranoia and chaos. Sporting events, concerts, celebrations, all not safe places to be.

vitaminG 07-14-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 (Post 8772444)

We're already at war with Isis, who else they gonna declare war on?

Jmac 07-14-2016 05:29 PM

80 reported fatalities now

nma 07-14-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8772432)
I'll take trying to dodge a car over a bullet any day of the week. Sure there will always be a way to kill someone regardless but that doesn't mean that the most efficient top choice method should be easy as pie to get.

What about a car AND a bullet? GG.

Reports saying now there were weapons found in the truck... It's insane how people can't even go out and celebrate a national holiday without being scared for their lives.. We are SO lucky to live in Canada.