REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Film of dirt on new VW

I have a feeling that this is a dumb/paranoia post but it's been bugging me. Hear me out.

So I got a 15' Jetta GLI last month from Cowell VW in Richmond. It's new but a last year model that's probably been sitting outside for a while. They let me pick it up on the same day so I understand that they didn't do a good clean. The back window has been dirty since I picked it up and I got around to washing it this week since the car was shiny for a while. I cleaned the inside and outside of the window with a car window product from Canadian Tire. Next, I washed the car and scrubbed the window very well from the outside with a sponge. I was surprised when I looked after it dried that it was still very dirty. It's like a coat of dust but it doesn't come off.

The gunk is on the outside because if I use a towel and windex a spot for a good 1-2 minutes, I get a clean spot the size of a thumbprint.

Few questions:

1.) Any idea what I can use to clean this stuff off? It looks like a dusty windshield but I have no idea why it's so difficult to remove. I guess I can drive it there and get them to clean it but I'm also paranoid about #2:

2.) I'm assuming this stuff is covering portions my car. You can't see it on the paint but when I pop my hood, my engine cover and various plastic parts under the hood are super dusty as well with this sticky stuff. I've seen dirty engine bays before, but on a car with less than 1000km it's a little surprising it's that bad. Should I be worried about it getting into engine components and intake stuff?

Thanks

---

edit/update: Talked to the dealership and they're going to detail the car for me Those guys rock.
Advertisement

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 07-19-2016 at 10:05 AM.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,153 Posts
Get it detailed by one of our automotive detailing sponsors - lots of people here on RS.

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech - REVscene Automotive Forum

Probably a film of grime and grease, you'd want to do a first wash with something like Dawn soap to remove it all before using a clay bar and then waxing the vehicle. Use a wash mitt, not a sponge.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

it maybe railroad dust from transport, if that's the case claybar or #0000 steel wool will take care of it
Old 07-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Clay bar the entire car using a good lubricant, can just be a mild car shampoo and water solution, or spray and shine, if that removes the film, then just re-wax the car, and you are good.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the above, or don't want to, then just take it to a professional detailer. Brendan at Project Detail, or Terrence are great options, I know there are other members here who occasionally do amazing work, but I don't know if they are regularly accepting customers.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanks guys. I never thought about bringing it in.

EDIT: Just talked to the dealer. They're going to detail it for me

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 07-19-2016 at 09:56 AM.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote