REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #26
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Saw one in person in HK. Even the fender liners were shiny!

Photo from friend's fb
Advertisement
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #27
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Subaru don't make many unicorn like this. As a Subaru fanboy this should be THE holy grail car.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2016, 11:46 PM   #28
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Subaru don't make many unicorn like this. As a Subaru fanboy this should be THE holy grail car.
exactly

sure, the price is steep, but is in no ways absurd. People spend this kind of money on less rare cars all the time.
cheesyhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:12 AM   #29

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Can someone change OP's title to:

Subaru "fanboy"
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:15 AM   #30

Yup, the 22b is a Subaru unicorn:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/holy-grai...160014674.html
Quote:
This legend—a 1998 Subaru Impreza 22B STi. It’s been called the “holy grail” of the Subaru world, and considering only 424 were ever built, they’re nearly as hard to get hold of.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #31
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
It's collectors who are driving this market. Take a popular sports car and make a limited edition with low production and you have a recipe for high prices.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:17 AM   #32
I STILL don't get it

Yea I posted this cl ad in another thread. The price is higher than it should be for a 22B even though they are super rare. Granted I do forsee the price climbing as the years go by because it's one of the few limited edition Japanese cars out there that pays homage to actual motorsport success. For Mitsubishi enthusiasts the Tommi Makinen is held in a similar light, again paying homage to their success in WRC for those 3 or 4 years. But Mistusbishi was at least smart enough to make way more so people could actually enjoy them.

My issue with the 22B is on paper it's the GC8 to have but in reality there were other unique GC8 models that out performed it. Evo magazine (UK) did an AWD comparison of the best Japanese cars at the time and the RB5 STI (Richard Burns) was way better than the 22B on a track. To the magazine's surprise they found it to understeer and generally lacked the poise, stability and confidence inspiring feel of the RB5.

I look at the 22B today and part of me is like wow, still has presence and just knowing that the chances of seeing one on the road makes it all the more special. Growing up seeing and seeing a 22B on the road made you feel special as a kid like you saw something few others would in a lifetime. It's the nostalgia that really does it for me. But today, part of me is like those fenders are so aggressive they should've put more rubber to balance it out. I can't help but think it needs to be modified but the reality is if someone buys a 22B, they aren't going to touch a single thing. Kind of sad imo because it's got a lot of potential.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #33
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
I think it's a fair price for a very rare car. Low 400s ever built with a staggering number either on track or straightline (0-60 in 4.5sec with "only" 280HP I call BS on that HP number)

And I'm not into car investment, but this is one of those cars that would only grow in value. Think 110k is expensive? 10yrs later it'll probably be double that and I wouldn't be surprised. Subaru is not known for building specialty cars. I mean, they haven't built anything like these in decades and likely won't build for a few more unlike say Ferrari which comes up with F50, Enzo, LaFerrari on a regular basis.