REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Pre-2000's Mercedes G Class?

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a JDM Import Mercedes G Wagon..
Has anyone here ever owned one?
What are some common problems or things that I should look out for?
What are the maintenance costs for these cars?
Also, this would be my first time purchasing an import car. If it's already a BC registered car, is there anything else that I would need to do differently for the title transfer?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 2,717 Times in 358 Posts
It's basically the closest thing to a tank on wheels. What engine are you looking for - V8 or diesel 5? Are looking to build an off road machine or just drive it on the road and not modify it?
Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
lookin to have it as a weekender, but still daily-able.
The specific one I'm looking at is a v6 model (m112 i believe)
I don't plan on modifying it for off roading capabilities, but I may be modifying cosmetics to freshen up the look (wheels, bumper etc)
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
RS Licensed Vendor

Engines last if taken care of. Electronics are the main problem with Benz's in this era. Ie. Locks, window motors, switches, guages, power seats etc. Don't expect this to be Honda reliable, but it's kind of to be expected for most Euro's. If you're not a stickler for having EVERYTHING working 100%, then it should be okay. Parts are expensive from the dealer, and hard to find used. I'd comb Benz World and see what other known issues are. I'd say expect $3-5K+ year minimum in maintenance costs. If you're okay with DIY fixes, there's a ton of them on the forums.

Ie. Window Switches are a common issue, most people just replace the switch assembly but that costs like $800. Can usually DIY fix it, takes some time to do it the first time.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com

Last edited by Cman333; 08-01-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Do you plan on wrenching on it yourself or let someone else fix it? I know that local mb dealers refuse to work on or order parts for a car with JDM vins. If it was originally usdm or Eurospec, then you would be OK.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
Do you plan on wrenching on it yourself or let someone else fix it? I know that local mb dealers refuse to work on or order parts for a car with JDM vins. If it was originally usdm or Eurospec, then you would be OK.
I have yet to run into this, dealers always help me with parts, and will service them. Just find a parts advisor who isn't lazy and has full EPC access. Always order things by PART NUMBER, not by model.

I used to import the G's from Japan, the diesels I noticed were always more expensive to order parts for..

Avoid 1993-1995 for the shit plastics and wiring harnesses, aside from that they are pretty bomb proof. The M112 in a 4 door is hilariously slow and almost feels like it doesnt have enough power if you've driven a V8 model. Early 1990 models might get dash flash, but a new cluster, or new capacitors will fix that. Cant really go wrong with any of them tbh.. 722.3 transmissions can go a little wonky with the K1 bands and youll slowly loose reverse but that was all fixed further on when they moved to the 722.6... Except hearing about a 722.3 with 350,000 kms on it with no service isnt uncommon.

Its probably my fault.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote