REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Red Prelude Clearcoat peeling

Hey all,

I am new to the car scene and I finally have a car I care about more than a regular beater. It's a 2001 red Honda Prelude. I know it's simple compared to what some of you guys have but I am new to taking care of my cars and I want to learn more.

So my problem is the clearcoat is starting to peel off and bubble on parts of the car. Some areas are manageable like the trunk and side panel, but some look really really terrible and I have no pride in driving her around.

The hood is by far the worst part. I have considered a few options on what to do with it but I would like to know your opinions for a car newbie.

Option A) Paint the entire car. This is obviously the best option for the car but I don't know if I want to drop $1800 for a new paint job on a car that's probably worth $4000 or so. I know a friend of a friend who does it so it would be cheaper than going to a place professionally. My mechanic says $1800 for an entire paint job is a pretty good deal but I am unaware.

Option B) Plastidip the hood myself or professionally. I could simply plastidip the hood myself for maybe $100. My friend is pushing me towards this option because he likes to pick up side projects but I am not very skilled at painting or these types of things. I could also go to a place who does this and get it done for maybe $200 I think.

Option C) Go to a wrecker and find a Honda Prelude hood and take it off the scrap yard and put it into the car myself. I am not sure how this would exactly but a mechanic mentioned it as an option. I am googling and there does not seem to be many around. So if anyone has more information on this. I am very curious about this option.

I could post pictures if you need but the hood is really bad and I don't know my options for painting the car. Would love to hear your opinions on it.

I don't know where to start but I would love to take care of this car unlike my first one.
Advertisement
FergusonCurly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I had a red prelude before and I had the exact same issue. Honda clear coat is crap and still is crap. First of all....
For option A, an 1800 dollar paint job is a pretty good deal but I'm not sure how it will look.
Option B, I wouldn't recommend plastidip as the dip fades over a few months and attracts a lot of dust. I wrapped my hood in carbon wrap for a few months to try it out but I hated the look. You may like it; wrap holds up much better than the dip.
Option C. If you do go to the wreckers make sure it's a post 1998 red prelude as the pre 1998s were a different shade of red than yours.

Edit: for reference http://imgur.com/a/nbRo5 my paint looked like that everywhere except the trunk and roof was like strawberry pink with crows feet

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION

Last edited by SpeedStars; 07-26-2016 at 02:29 PM.
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
I'd wrap it...probably the easiest and longest lasting solution, maybe even cheaper if you know people who do it.
I'm not huge on the CF look but it's better than the peeling clearcoat look.

your chances of finding a hood at the wreckers is slim to none
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
1800 is a really good price for a paint job . Please don't pladtidip it'll look really bad, I think you'll regret it. An option is to rattle can the car yourself. I've had pretty decent results repainting a section of my front bumper. Wet sand your current paint, spray base coat then some clear. After that just wet sand the clear and compound the paint. You should get some pretty decent results.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=834823
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
red always fades the fastest

old civic was read and once the clear starts going it's game ova
Old 07-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
red always fades the fastest

old civic was read and once the clear starts going it's game ova
Is that still true of newer cars? I just bought a 2016 bright red Ford and hope not.

OP, 1800 sounds great for a paint job.
BTW, don't discount your car as being "only a Prelude", the year you have is a great looking car and looks stunning in red!
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
Dang...

Spoiler!

Paint or redo clear coat. I think you would be happier with the new paint job and as others have mentioned 1800 seems good. I paid a bit more than double to get mine repainted.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #8
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
not sure if wrapping it is a good recommendation. i saw an old skyline that had major clearcoat peel that the owner tried to cheap out and cover it with vinyl, and you can clearly see the patches where the clear peeled off under the wrap

to do it right at the very least you will need to sand it down first before covering it up.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Save your money and pay your ticket

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70976...t-alberta.html
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
Is that still true of newer cars? I just bought a 2016 bright red Ford and hope not.

OP, 1800 sounds great for a paint job.
BTW, don't discount your car as being "only a Prelude", the year you have is a great looking car and looks stunning in red!
I dunno in the past Red and esepcially honda's red seemed to always be the worst, and i thought red in general was always bad due to the pigment VS the sun? could just be making things up though
Old 07-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I dunno in the past Red and esepcially honda's red seemed to always be the worst, and i thought red in general was always bad due to the pigment VS the sun? could just be making things up though
Yea, I'm pretty sure the pigments of red paint are prone to fading. All red cars will eventually fade due to UV exposure. The same could be said for yellow cars.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
Save your money and pay your ticket

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70976...t-alberta.html
Haha. Thanks man my game plan is go back to Alberta and pray! It's a pain in the ass but I did it to myself.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
1800 is a really good price for a paint job . Please don't pladtidip it'll look really bad, I think you'll regret it. An option is to rattle can the car yourself. I've had pretty decent results repainting a section of my front bumper. Wet sand your current paint, spray base coat then some clear. After that just wet sand the clear and compound the paint. You should get some pretty decent results.

DIY: How To Spray Paint And Get Professional Results! UPDATED 6/3/2015 - Club RSX Message Board
Is this plausible for someone who has little experience painting? I am not the best handy man and am a slow learner. I've had a lot of unforeseen expenses come up so the idea of getting her painted is taking a seat to the back burner right now.

I considered getting her painted a different color as well, I liked all the prelude colours. I was thinking extra hard on possibly the electric blue though.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
Would it be easier to buy another Prelude that has the stock colour you want and just swap all the parts on over to the new vehicle? Then sell the red lude?

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #15
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by european View Post
Dang...

Spoiler!

Paint or redo clear coat. I think you would be happier with the new paint job and as others have mentioned 1800 seems good. I paid a bit more than double to get mine repainted.

I remember watching you return that to stock on PP.com
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Hey do you know what he is doing for $1800 dollars? thats a good deal. Make sure he sands the car down with 320 grit featheredges the parts where it is flaking from. i would skim it with body filler. sand it down with 320grit/apply self etch primer to areas where metal is showing/ put a sealer on the entire vehicle so this never occurs again (sealer is High build primer mixed with clearcoat and hardner) wet sand the entire car with 600 grit and mask and spray (a custom red paint) for $1800 if your interested i have a shop. Holla at me
paul_r is offline   Reply With Quote