REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #26
I don't get it

Forget the garage it's a dumb idea you dont even have room to store tools much less work on your car. Plus with the way vancouver is going it will be more and more expensive difficult to own a car and you'll never get to enjoy it unless your doing trips outside the gvrd gridlock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ching.Chong View Post
Hello,

I am in the process of building a lane way house on my parent's property and the biggest question that needs to be addressed is whether or not to keep a garage or not have one and opt for a car port beside the laneway house. It definitely nice to have a private garage but it eats away at the living space which is only 800 sq ft, the garage will take up at least 200 sq ft (180 sqft to be precise)

*Edit: It would be a 1 and 1/2 story laneway

Option 1: Retain Garage
Pros:
Private parking spot
Storage space Bonus
Flexibility (Can be converted into another room in the future)

Cons:
Eats away precious living space leaving about 600 SQ FT

Option 2: Opt out of Garage
Pros:
Fully optimized maximum living space. (Bigger living room + Kitchen) (800 SQ FT)
Slightly Lower Cost.

Cons:
Not Flexible (Cannot or very expensive to convert into a garage in the future.)
Parking Your Vehicle outside

Would you guys prefer a private garage, and a smaller living space, or would you rather park your cars outside and have a bigger living space? Asking this in a car forum is somewhat bias as many of us would value private garage to store/work on cars, but definitely would like to see what other opinions people value ! What would you choose, and why!
Advertisement
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #27
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i've always thought about that and it got me thinking...if it's soley for rental income, how long would you have to rent it out for to recoup the cost. doesn't an avg laneway cost around 250k to build? if so...and you can get like $1500/month rent, not including anything else like taxable income and stuff... it'll take around 14 years to recoup everything...probably longer considering i would think most people would be borrowing that amount to build it so there's interest costs to factor in.
interest costs are a write off, besides 250k in mortgage costs is around 1000-1300$/ month depending on your interest rate, if you're renting at 1500$ a month...
you will have cap gains on your property in the future when you sell

if the lwh ever becomes stratifiable, it will be worth a shit ton.
condo 800 sqft new now in vancouver is around 500-700k mark
lwh with property 800 sqft no real strata costs, what do you think it will be worth?
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #28
(ノº _ º)ノ彡┻━┻

i worked at a guy's laneway home where he set up his living room in the garage. on a nice day, he'd leave the garage door open. cool concept, zero privacy.

i've seen a lot of laneway homes where owners just park outside, parallel to the alley. go for a bigger place if you have this option.
jnesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:05 AM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Is it a 33' lot? Definitely more living space if so. Yes we love our cars and want to garage them, but if you leave a larger car port which is partially covered, it's good enough.

I've seen a friend's garage attached to a LWH on a 40' lot. The garage is tiny and barely fits a car, the car port is tiny and barely fits a car! You can't even work on your car in there anyways.

Should've had a car port 1.5 car sizes and more living space. It's more convenient for your car and for living.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #30
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i went to an open house back when laneway houses just became legal. the "garage" was so tiny it was barely the width of the garage door itself. it was obvious that when they built the place the emphasis was maximizing what little living space there was and the "garage" was just a token thing and was more like a studio or workshop. even if you could get something the size of a smart car into it, you couldn't open the doors to get out
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #31
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,817 Times in 2,504 Posts
better get the convertible option

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #32
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
If they allowed laneway homes in Burnaby, where typical lots are twice as wide, I'd build one the size of a Vancouver house, LOL.

That's probably one of the reasons why they will never be allowed in Burnaby.

And yes, I know it will be a percentage of whatever........... just
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote