REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   Stranger Things (https://www.revscene.net/forums/709909-stranger-things.html)

EndLeSS8 08-08-2016 07:30 AM

Stranger Things

Surprised no thread about this...

This series is one of the best things I've watched all year, I really love it

Throwback to the 80's. The music is amazing, and the acting by everyone IMO is very good

I would STRONGLY recommend it

9.5/10

OriginalJC 08-08-2016 07:32 AM

Binged on it last week. Great show.

gilly 08-08-2016 07:35 AM

mentioned already many times on the "Netflix: Whats playing?" thread.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/63320...laying-18.html

Verdasco 08-08-2016 08:05 AM

wanted to watch it last night.... gf got scared and covered eyes the whole time

decided to watch grown up 2.... what a complete waste of shit film, I need to binge watch this alone.... haha!

Porsche957 08-08-2016 09:29 AM

such a great show.. the kids are amazing actors.

the gf made me watch it and she freaks out so easily which in turns freaks me out lol damnit!

EndLeSS8 08-08-2016 10:21 AM

I agree, the acting in the kids is especially good

Really well done, I'm needing to finish episodes 7+8 tonight :D

Glad it's nice and concise 8 episodes

underscore 08-08-2016 10:43 AM

I didn't know it's only 8 episodes, I'm more inclined to watch all of it now. Do things get nicely concluded at the end or is there a lot left hanging for a season 2?

Presto 08-08-2016 01:56 PM

We started watching this 3 weeks ago, and we've managed to not binge it. Just finished episode 6, last night! The casting is fantastic. I hope this gives a nice resurgence to Winona's acting career. When I saw the title credits roll, I knew it was going to be a show that was awesomely nostalgic.

snails 08-08-2016 08:52 PM

Finished it tonight and I'm blown away with the acting of the kids. The final episode wrapped things up too nicely and there seemed to only be a couple things leading to another season but even before watching episode 8 I was wondering how they could drag this out without it turning to shit...

Amazing show but as of now it's 1 dimensional much like prison break. Amazing for a couple season but it got very predictable very quickly. I'm very curious to see what they can do with it.

white rocket 08-08-2016 10:02 PM

Absolutely amazing. Easily the best show I've seen recently, or ever really. Nailing the 80's look and feel really drove the presence of the show home. The casting and acting was all top notch. I'd say they wrapped it up nicely. The show seems like it would be a new tale each time, like American Horror Story or True Detective, or Fargo maybe. I'm sure it will be returning.

EndLeSS8 08-09-2016 07:13 AM

Just finished the last 2 episodes last night

WOW, that was amazing

Wrapped up, well (Read post season interview with the producers, they purposely had some loose ends if there was to be a next season)

This is hands down the best thing/anything I've watched in the past 2 years. The last episode was pretty emotional for me.

Amazing series, will buy on Blu-Ray when it's out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8778776)
I didn't know it's only 8 episodes, I'm more inclined to watch all of it now. Do things get nicely concluded at the end or is there a lot left hanging for a season 2?

Things get concluded pretty nicely. Some things are left open, but it's not glaring and terrible

Verdasco 08-09-2016 07:33 AM

watched episode one and so many questions.......

Spoiler!

spoil me brehs

SkinnyPupp 08-09-2016 07:38 AM

Just watch it man wtf FailFish

wingies 08-09-2016 07:44 AM

It almost seems you're better off by going on wikipedia and reading the summary

Verdasco 08-09-2016 08:09 AM

10/10, would not pull out natalia dyer

SpartanAir 08-09-2016 08:28 AM

Stranger Things was definitely one of the best new shows I've seen in a while. Great tone and feel, high quality, and original concepts.

Was in the middle of the series I suddenly had the thought that it was the closest thing to The Goonies I'd ever seen or felt; growing up The Goonies captured a certain magical feeling of kid's imagination coming to life, and the idea of adventure of pursuing a grown-up goal as a kid.

The casting was great overall; the kids are all awesome, especially the girl who plays Eleven. The high school kids are kinda odd-looking which suits the weirdness of the show.

There is just one huge, glaring problem with the show, for me. And it happens to be the 'name draw' of the show: Winona Ryder. She's terrible. Just awful.

Listen: I know she's supposed to be a mother in distress, and she's already neurotic before her son goes missing. But her acting is just one level, one note the whole show. There is ZERO nuance to her emotion; often times when a star is attached to a production, that star is given more leeway than other actors in terms of direction. It's like because she was the star, she was allowed to do whatever she wanted.

You can't have a character at an emotional 10/10 for the run of a damn series. It was actually jarring at times, how freaked out she was about things. It's exhausting, it doesn't match the tone of the other moments in the show, and it's a rookie move in terms of directing. But again, perhaps the directors didn't have much say.

Don't get me wrong: Winona Ryder was perfect for movies like Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands. She was a quintessential 90s star. But she wasn't and isn't good. Much like Keanu Reeves is perfect for Neo in The Matrix; we all know he's awful, but could you picture anyone else in the role?

The first thing I thought of when I started watching this show was this clip from Family Guy which sticks in my mind as being totally accurate when it comes to Winona Ryder. Not so much the "topless" comment, but on her acting... :joy:

GLOW 08-09-2016 09:07 AM

on epi 6 as well and binge watched up until i had to go to work :lol
my friends told me it was great and i agree...total throwback...i've never seen the show (only opening credits) or read the books but it kind of made me feel like it had a goosebumps vibe.

Porsche957 08-09-2016 09:09 AM

toothless is fricken hilarious lol

episode 7+8 tonight!

Manic! 08-09-2016 12:27 PM

The show was great. There has to be a season 2.

GLOW 08-10-2016 08:51 AM

slugs :heckno: :ohgodwhy:

604STIG 08-10-2016 09:18 AM

Watched the first 2 episodes with the wife last night after your guys recommendations, glad I did, 2 thumbs up so far. She's into the sci-fi flicks but not so much the scary stuff, but she's into this.

PiuYi 08-31-2016 08:36 PM

season 2 announced, kinda disappointed it's the same characters/storyline, was hoping for the american horror story treatment with the way it ended

white rocket 09-01-2016 08:24 AM

^^that was funny last night. I thought they wrapped up Barb though.....

Spoiler!

I too was hoping for the AHS treatment but season 2 is season 2 so bring it on!!!!!

wingies 09-01-2016 09:29 AM

Yea I also wanted to see AHS style, but I wished s2 would show what was happening to a different family on another part of the US. Like during the exact same timeline, across the country. So it would be like the government was carrying out multiple testing sites all over the country with different monsters and kids with other kinds of special abilities

Ulic Qel-Droma 09-06-2016 07:58 AM

is it me or does the intro music remind you of TRON or MR ROBOT.