REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 08-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,421 Times in 918 Posts
Vancouver to Banff then Calgary

I plan on taking my family on a trip to Calgary to visit family before the summer ends. We plan on driving there to save money on flights as well as the freedom in having a car while we are there. We plan on stopping by Jasper as well as Banff. What is the route you guys recommend we take on getting there? As well as cheap accommodation. We were deciding to stop at Jasper on the way to Calgary and then taking a day trip to Banff from Calgary.
Advertisement

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #2

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
If time is not a problem, I'd recommend hitting BC5 after Kamloop.

It's a much longer way mind you, adds 3hrs easy to the trip on an already long drive. But you get to see both Jasper/Banff national park on the way south via hwy16 in their entirety (you drive through diagonally through both parks).

On the return, I'd suggest taking the long way home via the US unless hitting the Okanagan Valley was the idea, in which I'd take Vernon on hwy3.

The reason of coming back via US is to make the most out of the trip. SR20 is called "the most scenic mountain hwy in WA" for a reason. I did the drive once and IMO it totally worth the extra time. It's absolutely gorgeous in the summer (not accessible in the winter I believe).

Last but not least, it's going to be a crazy long drive. Maybe renting a car with unlimited mileage would make more sense.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #3

I plan on taking a week or two in Calgary otherwise the rent a car would make a ton of sense.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 08-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
If time is not a problem, I'd recommend hitting BC5 after Kamloop.

It's a much longer way mind you, adds 3hrs easy to the trip on an already long drive. But you get to see both Jasper/Banff national park on the way south via hwy16 in their entirety (you drive through diagonally through both parks).

On the return, I'd suggest taking the long way home via the US unless hitting the Okanagan Valley was the idea, in which I'd take Vernon on hwy3.

The reason of coming back via US is to make the most out of the trip. SR20 is called "the most scenic mountain hwy in WA" for a reason. I did the drive once and IMO it totally worth the extra time. It's absolutely gorgeous in the summer (not accessible in the winter I believe).

Last but not least, it's going to be a crazy long drive.
This. I did a very similar route a few weeks ago (though we went Highway 1 to Prince George before heading East on Highway 16.) If time isn't an issue, go Hwy1 instead of 5. It's a much more beautiful route with plenty of places to stop and visit compared to 5 (trust me, I live right off of Highway 5... it's boring as shit.)

Just a couple of side notes about Jasper and Banff. If you haven't booked a hotel or campsite yet, do it asap. I'd be surprised if they aren't full already at this point. They also cost money to enter, assuming you're planning on staying. Also, if you're driving through on a weekend or a holiday, be prepared to sit in a *lot* of traffic.

As for cheap accommodations, they don't really exist in Jasper and Banff. Not when it comes to hotels and motels, that is. Camping is your cheapest option. I stayed in Whistler's Campground, which is about a two minute drive away from Jasper village. It's a well equipped campground with heated showers, lots of available firewood, and decently wooded campsites. The only downside is that it's anywhere between thirty minutes (Athabasca Falls) to an hour and a half (Columbia Icefield Glacier, Skywalk, etc) from any of the really cool places to visit.

(Part of Athabasca Falls)

(Part of the hike up to the Columbia Icefield... Be careful, lots of sinkholes off the path and that hike is steeper than it looks)

Banff is a very similar story. You may be better off finding a hotel outside of the park and simply getting up early to visit. We ended up staying in Radium Hot Springs (don't worry, there are plenty of closer towns that make more sense from a day trip POV.)
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
canmore is about 15min east on the highway from banff. nice small town i call mini-banff. they also have a microbrewery called the grizzly paw with good soda and nice beer. i had dinner at their pub and tried a bunch of beer and sodas there. you should see if they have cheaper lodgings than banff

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
I don't get it

Following this thread..
As I wanted to plan a week trip from BC to AB..
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Like Lomac said, cheap and Banff/Jasper should never be used in the same sentence. There both expensive to stay, eat and do any activities.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #8

Any good places to stop? I'm 600 km away from Calgary just passed Kamloops.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]