REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
When do you think electric cars will be the standard for performance cars?

I was reading about Rhys Millen's historic Pikes Peak 2016 run where he lost the overall win by 4 secs in a full electric car Vs the fastest gas powered car. Sure the Tesla Model S P90D is super fast in a straight line, but vehicle dynamics? not so much. I am planning on selling my Dinan S3R after the summer and was dead set on getting a 991 C4S or GTS. However, when I looking around on Autotrader, I noticed for same money, I could get a BMW I8. So, I decided to check it out.....boy was I impressed. First off, the tech and look is stunning. However the back seat is very useable for my young son, probably better than a 991. What impressed me more than that was how the car handled and drove overall. The torque is killer and it handles really well because the heavy batteries are placed low in the centre tunnel. The car has minimal lean, but the overall grip was relatively low due to really skinny tires, but most aftermarket I8 guys put on 245/285s for some decent grip. After test driving the I8, I can't believe I am saying this, but I think we are less than 10yrs away from electric cars being the standard bearer for performance cars. I feel really sad, because I love gas guzzling high revving NA cars, but I think those days are really numbered. I am curious what RS members think?
Advertisement
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

There's limitations on price right now, because batteries are expensive. And then there's the purists...you can't get the exhaust burble, the rev-match downshift, the power building, the sounds or smells with an electric car. I always thought a Tesla Model S looks like an extremely fast Toyota Camry.

But then again, the EPA is going to kill off cars which will need to go smaller engines with electric assist or electric altogether. I'd say 20 years.

Then again, ever since I was a kid, I was told that gasoline would long run out by the time I got my license. Been driving well over 10 years and that still has yet to happen....
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

There is no substitute.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ i was reading an article about how the mustang p51 was the absolute pinnacle of piston driven fighter warplanes, but was literally obsolete overnight because the jet airplane was invented.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
When electric trains first came out, I'm sure all the steam locomotive guys hated it...because I know many of them still do to this day.

It's the sound, smell, feeling, etc.
Steam locomotives are more fun to ride, whereas electric bullet trains are efficient, fast and boring.

Same can be said about electric powered cars vs petro powered cars.

There's no doubt that electric cars are future of performance cars.
The world's most renown high performance cars are already hybrids.

McLaren P1, Acura NSX, Koenigsegg Regera, LaFerrari, BMW i8, Jaguar CX-75, Porsche 918, etc....they're all hybrids.

Just look at Tesla Model S P90D. It does 0-60mph in 2.6 seconds and 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds.
It can easily put all the high performance sedans in dust... BMW M5, Audi RS7, Lexus IS-F, Mercedes AMG C63S, Cadillac CTS-V, anything.

The only reason those sedans can't beat Tesla is because they have inefficient petro engine.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Just look at Tesla Model S P90D. It does 0-60mph in 2.6 seconds and 1/4 mile in 10.9 seconds.
It can easily put all the high performance sedans in dust... BMW M5, Audi RS7, Lexus IS-F, Mercedes AMG C63S, Cadillac CTS-V, anything.
....Except on a real race track where there are corners and those cars can smoke the Tesla in the dust
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
I don't see full electric cars being feasible anytime soon. Canada and U.S. have such boners for oil that they will push back on the infrastructure needed to make the cars reasonable as an only car. Where the fuck are you going to drive a tesla other than kits to horseshoe bay?
It should happen, but it will take a long time I bet.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
....Except on a real race track where there are corners and those cars can smoke the Tesla in the dust
They can't really be compared on a real track because the Tesla was not built with racing in mind. I'm sure if they built a suspension for it Tesla could build a pretty badass sports car.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:33 AM   #9
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Tesla with and without the adaptive suspension option comes with Bilstein yellow struts from factory. The car carries a lot of speed and is very planted for a car its size. Helps a lot since it has a low center of gravity. Just make sure the steering is set to sport.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
OP, if you have the means i think you should buy something with a V12 for now and enjoy it while you still can. we're still in the early days of electric cars and have plenty of time to adapt them into our lives down the road.

our v8's, v10's and v12's are all eventually going to die off within the next 10-20 years. might as well buy something now while its still semi affordable.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #11

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
They can't really be compared on a real track because the Tesla was not built with racing in mind. I'm sure if they built a suspension for it Tesla could build a pretty badass sports car.
Oh no doubt if Tesla tries to go for racing goals they can make a sick sports car, but at this stage Tesla is nothing but a luxury A to B sedan weighing at 4800lbs.

I'm just saying how asinine Timfuck's statement is saying how Tesla can smoke sports car when it can't even sustain any aggressive driving past 5 minutes since the battery overheats.
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
I STILL don't get it

Very true ^
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
? 

I don't know where you got that kind of info, but Tesla Model S is smoking fast around the corner.

Just go on YouTube, Tesla Model S can smoke some of the best handling sedans like BMW M5 and Maserati Ghibli.

Just because Model S is an electric sedan, that doesn't mean Tesla will put shitty suspension.
Tesla is indeed, very well engineered machine.

If you're talking about the size of Tesla Model S, it doesn't matter. Just like GT-R can smoke many supercars around the corner, Tesla does pretty much the same thing with well engineered suspension.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Until the battery dies after 2 laps at mission.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #15

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
just think of how dependent we have become on batteries the past decade
one of these days we're bound to hit an advancement and petrol vehicles will become a niche
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #16
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Battery will only charge faster, weight less, does not heat up as much and smaller.

Some top performance cars are already hybrids. Only a matter of time until the next tech breakthrough.

The model S ws not built with track performance in mind. Its a perfect daily driver.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #17

We know petro engines are extremely inefficient.

Internal combustion engines aren't really a motor, it's more like a heat generator.
Most of fuel is used/wasted to generate heat, and only 30+% of that is to generate hp/torque to move a car.

If you factor in everything, in general, petro-powered vehicles can only use 15% of energy to move a car...all the other energy is simply wasted to generate heat or drag/friction losses.

Mazda Skyactive is one of the most advanced petro engine in the world with very high compression and low friction. Mazda say their goal is to waste only 40% of the energy(or use 60% of energy available), but I don't know...with all the electric technology, internal combustion engine will become obsolete.

It's just that amount of torque it creates is not even close to petro engine.

American V8s tend to brag about torque, but it can only generate for very short amount of time. (like 0.1 second?) Whereas electric motor can generate MAX TORQUE ALL THE TIME.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,862 Times in 3,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I don't see full electric cars being feasible anytime soon. Canada and U.S. have such boners for oil that they will push back on the infrastructure needed to make the cars reasonable as an only car. Where the fuck are you going to drive a tesla other than kits to horseshoe bay?
It should happen, but it will take a long time I bet.
We're also way too spread out, and in a lot of areas way too cold for parts of the year for it to be feasible. Looking at the Tesla I doubt it could make it from Kelowna to Tsawwassen on one charge with one passenger, so bye bye road trips.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #19
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Electric sports cars and electric sport sedans, I personally can embrace and look forward to the crazy torque

What I cannot embrace, is self-driving cars.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #20

Thanked 2,253 Times in 485 Posts
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
Electric sports cars and electric sport sedans, I personally can embrace and look forward to the crazy torque

What I cannot embrace, is self-driving cars.
Self driving cars are a lot safer, more convenient, more efficient, more usable.

I know it's boring and all that, but I'm sure there's a huge market for it.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #22
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Love self driving car. Give you an option to just sit back if you are tired and would rather sleep and drive when you want. What's not to like?
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Self driving cars are a lot safer, more convenient, more efficient, more usable.

I know it's boring and all that, but I'm sure there's a huge market for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Love self driving car. Give you an option to just sit back if you are tired and would rather sleep and drive when you want. What's not to like?
I can understand how this would be good if you are on the road all day (Truck driver) but it will just take the enjoyment out of driving.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
It's pretty close to the same but some days when I just didnt want to get up to go to work I used to just be happy knowing I was going to get on my motorcycle for 35 minutes and have fun even in traffic.

Dont think that would be the same with a self driving car.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
I can understand how this would be good if you are on the road all day (Truck driver) but it will just take the enjoyment out of driving.
Just so you know, to the vast majority of population, that are not car/motorcycle enthusiast, driving is simply waste of time.

or transportation/commuting in general, is a waste of time.

Because you're doing nothing productive other than going from point A to point B.

People would rather sit back and relax when you have to go home from work.
Some people may have to spend over 1hr each way for commuting, I'm sure they would rather sit back in your vehicle and watch YouTube or check your email, go on Skype, etc.

Seriously, people would rather do those thing that I just listed ^ than going in your V8 Mustang or Miata/Elise and rev the engine and take corners and stuff.

Young people have lost interest in cars. It's a fact and auto manufactures are well aware of this.