REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Starting an automotive technician apprenticeship in 2016, is the time right?

Ive put some thought into starting a career with the auto tech apprenticeship program at BCIT. What ive been thinking about is the long term situation like in 10 years for example, does anyone think it might be a bad time to go down this path of auto mechanics now? Especially with this revolution in the automotive industry, theres somewhat of a transition into new technology with hybrids and electric motors and possibly special tools needed etc. Even with new cars, everything is warrantied, so has work slowed down if you aren't in a dealership? And Ive heard dealerships are hard af to get into unless you have a connect or start out washing cars for a couple years then you might have a chance to do lube.

I get that there might be a rough start in your career and you might not see any good money until you've put in your hard work and hours but I can understand the sacrifice. I just wanted to hear some peoples opinions on this because Ive dwelled on this program for a while, switched my focus of studies a couple times and have always ended up with wanting to do this but not sure if its the right time for the long run. Any advice is appreciated thanks
Advertisement
chinese_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
make your living doing something that you love and makes you happy.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

there's always a need as long as there are cars on the road. mechanics don't just work on engines, there are plenty of parts that need maintenance and stuff.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,737 Times in 3,863 Posts
After reviewing your forum name, I suggest you get into bodywork
Old 08-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?NR View Post
Then you can come join everyone else in the RE thread complaining that they can't afford a place to live in Van.

Spoiler!

@OP - I wouldn't worry about auto tech being on the decline, the skills you learn will translate well towards many other things. If you think it might be something you love doing. Go for it. There are way worse careers people are currently trying to pursue out there.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Just do it, no regrets.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #7
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
The best advice you can possibly get right here.
Curren$y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Don't do it unless you really want to. (currently at a dealership)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by see.lai View Post
Don't do it unless you really want to. (currently at a dealership)
Can i ask why?
chinese_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #10
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,208 Times in 1,958 Posts
Quote:
True but be aware that something that started out fun can turn into a mindless stressful chore, especially when there's money involved.

Because when there's money involved, you're at the whim of whoever you're working for. It can be a best or worst experience. What you spend years passionately into can become tarnished for varying reasons.

That said, you won't know unless you try. There's always money making career options that allow hobbies to become that much more desirable (such as fixing cars).

Good luck.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #11

" I think everyone can appreciate that there are certain hobbies and things that people love doing which simply do not translate well towards making a living."

Exactly what meme said. You may find out you like working on just your own/family cars and turn a passion into a job you will eventually hate. Best to try out working somewhere first doing oil change/brake changes. This will be your life 40hrs/week. I think there is big money in the future for car electronics/diagnostics... but to specialize in it you must go through the whole mechanic tree and really understand how the bare bones of how a car works
Port Man is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I wrench for a living. It pays well. Turned a hobby into a job. After a while, I no longer have that hobby. I have a couple project cars that have been covered in dust for couple years and I have neither the motivation nor the time to finish them.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

From someone that took that 2 year auto tech diploma BCIT program and is now a red seal tech, don't automatically think you can get a job with your certificate.
You may very well spend quite a bit of time in the wash bay or something to start. It's all about luck and timing with this trade when starting out. Just don't be a slack off and show you have good work ethics.
I would say less than half of my class of 30 is working at a job related to cars now, handful as apprentices, 2 or 3 as red seal techs.
It'll be a rough few years of your life. Once you finish it doesn't get any better. Low pay as apprentice with tens of thousands you'll end up spending to build your tool collection through the years.
It can definitely pay out though, as long as you stick it through.
Specialty tools are most often supplied by shop so you don't have to worry about them.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 PM   #14
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,990 Times in 1,882 Posts
I worked as a first year apprentice at a dealership and I found that it wasn't for me. Wasn't fun working on cars anymore and after working on them all day, I put off even working on my own car until I really needed to.

So yeah, definitely not for everyone. I have a lot of close friends that still work in the shop and some that decided to do something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #15
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
In my case, I've always been a car guy. My whole family is about cars. Dad was a heavy duty diesel mechanic, mom was a taxi driver (yep), my sister drives stick better than most people I know (maniac) and she loves making her car faster, brothers naturally are in the industry from autobody, to mechanics, to ICBC. I've followed that path because I grew up around it.

unfortunately, meme is right. After awhile the hobby and excitement portion of it dies when money is introduced.

Still in the industry, but slowly transitioning into my other passion: motorcycles.

"A successful person should have passion for whatever they do".

which is true, but nowadays a better formula would be " A successful person should bring his/her passion to whatever they wants to do".
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

I would go Heavy duty or commercial transport, and try to get in with the city.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I agree, some guys I know graduated and couldn't fined a job. They are working at oil change places.......kinda sucks.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS

There's a lot of money in the auto body industry, the shortage for bodymen is crazy. If you work hard enough, on flat rate, you're making 6 figures. And there's a never ending supply of work because people are always getting into accidents, most icbc express shops are booking 1+ month in advance for repairs too
KDMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #19
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

As someone who completed the program got a job as an auto tech, I'm no longer working in the industry. I hated it. The pay is shit compared to other trades, and the work is pretty garbage. I enjoy working on my own car, my friends cars, but as a job it was stressful and took the fun out of doing it as a hobby.

Just my experience

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
JipJopJones is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
I wrench for a living. It pays well. Turned a hobby into a job. After a while, I no longer have that hobby. I have a couple project cars that have been covered in dust for couple years and I have neither the motivation nor the time to finish them.
This is exactly what happen to a guy I know who is a motorcycle mechanic.

Working on motorcycle was his passion, so he became a mechanic by trade.
After working full time twisting wrench for people's motorcycle, after you get off work, you really don't feel like twisting more wrench for your own motorcycle.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
I agree, some guys I know graduated and couldn't fined a job. They are working at oil change places.......kinda sucks.
I would suggest OP to work at oil change places to see if he would enjoy working on cars full time for somebody else's car.
You don't need to be a mechanic by trade to work at those places, so it's a good experience.

As a mechanic, you never get to work on your favorite project, you will always be working on cars that you don't like or stuff you don't wanna do.
And if something goes wrong, you won't get paid for overtime because they go by book.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #22

Something to keep in mind, a lot of mechanics get unhealthy.

You will constantly lifting heavy weights in awkward position. You will constantly inhaling vaporized gas, your skin will always in contact with harmful chemical.
Yes, you will be doing these unhealthy stuff for full time. It's not like a hobby where you get to work on your own project in your garage or backyard at your own pace and time.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Sounds like a lot of people in here either suck at wrenching on cars and or worked in some really shitty places.

There is a huge demand here and anywhere else in the world for SKILLED trades. There are plenty of monkeys that can turn a wrench but very few skilled tradesman that are the masters of there trade.

The only advice i can offer is do something that you love to do and master it, become the best in your field, the money will follow. Only people who love what they do care about it enough to master it and set yourself apart from your peers.

If you want to get into the trade, you need to decide what path will allow you to build a solid foundation to build your career on. I think the biggest mistake for apprentices is to try to get into a dealership. Dealerships you work on the same cars and often don't get exposed to a variety of work. If you really cared about becoming the best technician, you want to expose yourself to a wide variety of product, and give yourself the shittiest jobs you can get your hands on.

Once you have built your foundation with the hands on wrenching and have a good solid understanding on how things work, go the dealer and specialize on a certain make. Become proficient at electrical diagnostics. The greatest job security is a superior skill set.

There are plenty of people who do it for a pay check and are ok with working on civics all day long, for me i'm an automotive enthusiast , and i like driving and working on cool cars. When you start getting into the high end product thats on the cutting edge of technology , it keeps you entertained.

I've been in the trade for over 16 yrs. I never stress out at work, i almost never break a sweat, i drive and work on some pretty sweet ass cars and although i won't get rich doing it, i can live very comfortably.

As with many things in life your happiness is generally dependant on the level of your competency, so make sure your really competent and you'll be ok.
Iron Chef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:33 AM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Sounds like a lot of people in here either suck at wrenching on cars and or worked in some really shitty places.

There is a huge demand here and anywhere else in the world for SKILLED trades. There are plenty of monkeys that can turn a wrench but very few skilled tradesman that are the masters of there trade.

The only advice i can offer is do something that you love to do and master it, become the best in your field, the money will follow. Only people who love what they do care about it enough to master it and set yourself apart from your peers.

If you want to get into the trade, you need to decide what path will allow you to build a solid foundation to build your career on. I think the biggest mistake for apprentices is to try to get into a dealership. Dealerships you work on the same cars and often don't get exposed to a variety of work. If you really cared about becoming the best technician, you want to expose yourself to a wide variety of product, and give yourself the shittiest jobs you can get your hands on.

Once you have built your foundation with the hands on wrenching and have a good solid understanding on how things work, go the dealer and specialize on a certain make. Become proficient at electrical diagnostics. The greatest job security is a superior skill set.

There are plenty of people who do it for a pay check and are ok with working on civics all day long, for me i'm an automotive enthusiast , and i like driving and working on cool cars. When you start getting into the high end product thats on the cutting edge of technology , it keeps you entertained.

I've been in the trade for over 16 yrs. I never stress out at work, i almost never break a sweat, i drive and work on some pretty sweet ass cars and although i won't get rich doing it, i can live very comfortably.

As with many things in life your happiness is generally dependant on the level of your competency, so make sure your really competent and you'll be ok.
this. i was going to write up the exact same thing but found this post at the bottom. specialize in something and be better than the next guy at it, that way you'll always have a job and never have to worry about looking for work.

i like others spent my entire teen life thinking i would become an auto tech when i grew up. always took shop/mechanic classes in high school and even went to kwantlen for the auto tech program. in the end i decided to go against it because i didn't want something i loved to turn into something i loathed.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #25
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

[QUOTE=Iron Chef;8783011]
I think the biggest mistake for apprentices is to try to get into a dealership. Dealerships you work on the same cars and often don't get exposed to a variety of work. If you really cared about becoming the best technician, you want to expose yourself to a wide variety of product, and give yourself the shittiest jobs you can get your hands on.

I agree 100% I've been in the industry 15 years I started my career working in two privately owned shops and learned so much. Ive worked for nissan now for 10 years and become a certified master nissan technician. I credit this to the first few years working on all makes and models from civics to motorhomes this is a foundation you should have The apprentices I see starting fresh at my dealer are one dimensional and really don't learn the right way in my opinion.
Good luck in your career. As others have said so what you love. Life is more than just money.
sir rotary is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: