REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-30-2016, 01:33 AM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
A Reminder For Clueless Jerks: Don't Drive Slow In the Left Lane - Roadandtrack.com

For all the slow left-lane drivers...

Here is a short and informative video:

Quote:
Lately, states have been cracking down on left-lane drivers. Even though they aren't speeding, these drivers are still getting tickets, and that can be confusing for them. If you aren't speeding, you're being safe, right? Of course not.

Vox recently produced a great video (along with a great article) explaining why driving slower than traffic is dangerous, even if you're doing the speed limit. Specifically, they talk about the left lane, and its purpose on our highways: Passing, not cruising. For your friends, family members, and co-workers who still don't get it, go ahead and show them this video. It's necessary viewing.

That's because the biggest risk on the highway isn't speeding—it's speed differential. As Vox explains, driving slightly slower than surrounding traffic is actually more dangerous than going slightly faster than traffic. That holds true regardless of the speed limit.

Plus, since left-lane slowpokes force faster traffic to weave between lanes in order to pass them, they increase the danger on highways even more. In fact, lane changes are considered a factor in up to 10 percent of all highway crashes. The less we require drivers to switch lanes, the less likely they are to have a mishap.

While not all states are as aggressive about it as Georgia, every state in the U.S. has some sort of law stating that the left lane is for passing only. The research is clear: We'd all be safer if everyone followed the left lane laws.

Now go out there and spread the left-lane gospel to everyone you meet.
Keep Right Except to Pass - Left Lane Law Enforcement

Agree or disagree? Comment!
Advertisement
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 04:50 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
I'm in for anything that makes people drive at least at the ridiculously low speed limit or 10-20% above it.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:48 AM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Agree.
However, in city driving, I couldn't careless about this.
For highways outside of urban areas, I totally agree: It drives me completely up the wall when someone is hogging the left lane for no apparent reason.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
I know in Washington State it's enforced much more than here.
Really would like to see people get pulled for this though.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,737 Times in 3,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
Agree.
However, in city driving, I couldn't careless about this.
Uh... Good? This rule only effects highways and freeways and such.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Every time there's a slow down on the highway during non-peak hours it's guaranteed it's some clueless fuck doing 90 on the left lane, another dipshit pacing him on the right while smiling and making happy faces at the slow fuck, and the right most driver just chilling because he's actually in the right fucking lane.

Blows my mind how many highway drivers can't grasp this simple concept. There's TWO fucking lanes you can do speed limit in.
Then there are the cunty little assholes who drive slow as fuck on the right lane and clam up to the car in front of them at exits/merge points instead of letting merging traffic in. Bitch, fuck you, your mom and your ancestors, if you wanna be on the right most lane, you're fucking obligated to let merging traffic through in a reasonable manner.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,494 Times in 4,891 Posts
Yup, in BC the rule only applies to roads where speed limit is 80 kph or higher.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,671 Posts
Honestly, we see so many shitty/dangerous drivers in B.C. and the rest of the world that maybe, just maybe, self driving cars where the computer follows traffic rules and makes the car drive within traffic speed on the left lane isn't such a bad idea after all.

Heck, one day, we could blame the shitty/dangerous computers driving the cars for accidents instead of the driver if accidents happen.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
I seriously look forward to a day where self-driving becomes a reality and applied on a mass scale. It will solve so much pain that exist today.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Also people in the HOV lane that are going slower than all the lanes to the right. If you aren't going faster than the flow of traffic GTFO of the HOV.

Berz out.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
I seriously look forward to a day where self-driving becomes a reality and applied on a mass scale. It will solve so much pain that exist today.
As Clarkson once pointed out:

Self driving cars are all good and great, until a man named Steve with a shop in Surrey decides they want their self driving car to go a little faster than others. Then I will set off every morning knowing that today might be the day that I encounter Steve on the open road in his newly modified self driving car, and there will be a horrific accident.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Self driving cars are all good and great, until a man named Steve with a shop in Surrey decides they want their self driving car to go a little faster than others. Then I will set off every morning knowing that today might be the day that I encounter Steve on the open road in his newly modified self driving car, and there will be a horrific accident
Those darn Steves, ruining it for everyone.
That's why we can't have nice thing, you know...

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Also people in the HOV lane that are going slower than all the lanes to the right. If you aren't going faster than the flow of traffic GTFO of the HOV.

Berz out.
Berz I have a simple and affective solution for this.This is what I do and it works very well.I get out of the HOV lane,speed up past them and turn back into the HOV lane,now I'm ahead of them,then I procede to speed up a little and let off the gas....next thing you know a LOUD bang followed by a big fireball comes shooting out of the exhaust tailpipe.Do it a few times and they will leave the HOV lane.Works everytime.It's even better at night.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #14
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:

Berz out.
So fucking true. Especially when I'm riding on the bike and getting stuck behind someone in the HOV going slower than the other lanes.... rendering HOV lane useless.
MMMOOOOOVEEEE BIIITTCHHH!
Old 08-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

LOL
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I deal with this kind of shit almost on a daily basis. I really wish this is strictly enforced rather than going 30 over the limit.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #17
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
Berz I have a simple and affective solution for this.This is what I do and it works very well.I get out of the HOV lane,speed up past them and turn back into the HOV lane,now I'm ahead of them,then I procede to speed up a little and let off the gas....next thing you know a LOUD bang followed by a big fireball comes shooting out of the exhaust tailpipe.Do it a few times and they will leave the HOV lane.Works everytime.It's even better at night.
You are not supposed to enter or exit HOV on a solid white line. There are long stretches of solid white line. Just my luck I would get a ticket for it.

Berz out.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #18

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
You are not supposed to enter or exit HOV on a solid white line.
I've always wondered what the logic is behind that. Doesn't it make things more dangerous by forcing people to only merge/exit the lane at certain points? (ie. frantic law abiders scrambling to merge out at allowable points?) I try to stick by it, but sometimes, you really gotta merge out of HOV earlier/later than the damn line permits.

iirc you can merge into HOV anytime in the US and they've got solid white lines
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #19

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
The whole solid white line rule is such a gray area, that its a stupid law.. There are many locations around the city where when you need to go to the curb lane, the parking signs go beyond where the white line of a lane starts. So you're literally forced to change lanes over a solid white to make a lane change.. I also agree that the HOV merge lanes are ridiculous as well.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.28035...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.28274...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #20
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
The funny part is BC drivers will adhere to the left lane rule when on I5, but as soon as you cross the border... some switch clicks off and they become stupid.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Also the speed limit is way too slow.
This is partially why some of those "left lane campers" think they can stay there because they're doing the speed limit.

The documentation that's posted on BC Ministry of Transportation says that speed limit is too slow too. (It was also talked about on Speed Kills Your Pocketbook)

The MAXIMUM SPEED is becoming more like MINIMUM SPEED in BC.

If you're driving on 50km/h zone, you are EXPECTED to go AT LEAST 50km/h
Same on the highway, if you're driving on 90km/h zone, you are EXPECTED to go AT LEAST 90km/h

This shows many speed limits are too low...on top of this left lane thing.

Why don't we just follow Germany and re-structure this whole thing...
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #22
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
You are not supposed to enter or exit HOV on a solid white line. There are long stretches of solid white line. Just my luck I would get a ticket for it.

Berz out.
I've gotten a ticket for merging over a solid white into the HOV lane.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #23

Quote:

Berz out.
It's only breaking the law if you get caught.You must look for cops before doing this.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Why don't we just follow Germany and re-structure this whole thing...
Beacuase it's alot easier said than done.Do you have any idea how difficult it is to change sped rules on Highway 1.

And why don't you move to Japan so you can drool over the rice crap you post so much.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
I know in Washington State it's enforced much more than here.
Really would like to see people get pulled for this though.
It's essentially unenforced here.

130 tickets issued since B.C. promised crackdown on left-lane hogs | CTV Vancouver News

I'm not a fast driver by any means, but I tend to only use the left lane for passing (certain exceptions obviously like moving over for emergency vehicles, debris in the right lane, etc.) and, even then, I get back in the right lane ASAP. It drives me insane when I'm trying to go my usual 90-95 km/h (90 zone) and two people are side-by-side doing 70 km/h on a warm, sunny day. Then 1 person will FINALLY decide to speed up and pass (and then, of course, they do like 110 km/h for the next 5 minutes, so no one can get past them without excessively speeding).

Literally happens at least once a week on my commute.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: