REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 09-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Dubai

sx
Advertisement

Last edited by DaFonz; 07-01-2017 at 12:46 AM.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:13 AM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I never really experienced any major traffic problems during my 8 day stay in Dubai back in March to be honest. For a city of its size, the traffic seemed manageable, although we did get caught in jams a couple of times at rush hour (but nothing that took more than 15 mins to clear).

That said, the city is really spread out... JBR, downtown, Deira/creek, and Jumeirah are really all like separate cities connected by major highways. If you're staying out by the airport, which is where we stayed (at the Raffles Dubai - best hotel I've ever stayed at), then you should be no more than 45 minutes from Downtown even if there's major traffic issues enroute. Mall of the Emirates is smack dab in the heart of downtown.

If you're able to stay within walking distance of the Metro, then you can easily use it to access almost all major attractions (including Mall of the Emirates) in 30-40 mins from the airport area, because the one and only metro line runs along Sheikh Zayed Rd all the way out past JBR. Obviously that doesn't help you get out to the desert in any way, but it does mean you have a reliable means of getting downtown to the Mall / Khalifa even if traffic sucks.

For what its worth, during my entire stay in the UAE, our desert safari excursion was by far the most enjoyable and memorable thing we did. That shit is some SERIOUS desert. I'd recommend Platinum Heritage Tours if you decide to go on a quality desert tour (they have an afternoon/evening tour that begins in mid-afternoon and ends around 11pm, including driving time to and from our airport-area hotel). I posted some pics of the tour in this thread.

Good luck chief.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote