REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #26
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Grade 12, was sleeping and my mom woke me up to tell me that planes had just crashed into the WTC. I was still mostly asleep, muttered something about stupid americans and rolled over having every intention of going back to sleep and skipping my Geology class. I got up a few minutes later and realized she wasn't joking. Went to my Geo class and we ended up watching the news coverage instead of doing our classwork that day.

In regards to the video in the OP: Did they pick the dumbest looking people they could find? Surely there can't be THAT many people who don't know anything about Sept 11... It happened in their own country!
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #27
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I was in high school, wasn't even in North America at the time. Our family was having dinner and the special news came on when the first plane hit. I still remember the running banner "America Under Attack". Must have been CNN. We later saw the "recap".
It was fucking apocalyptic. You can see smoke, paper flying everywhere, people jumping out of the towers.

I can't and don't even want to imagine what it's like to have witnessed that in person, or having someone close passed away in those incidents. It was a sad day for humanity.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #28
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i got woken up from my dad telling me something went down on the news and to watch it,didn't explain anything....We had C-Band satellite so every news channel had the First plane crashing into the tower replaying over and over...till they started showing people jump from the building and in one broadcast before they stopped showing it you could hear a Body hitting the light post then the ground in a disgusting "THUMP!"....sound....you couldn't tell if it was a man,or a women...just a black steak of a person going down fast...
Old 09-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #29
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,262 Times in 1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
In regards to the video in the OP: Did they pick the dumbest looking people they could find? Surely there can't be THAT many people who don't know anything about Sept 11... It happened in their own country!
To be fair, he's at the beach where you'll typically find the dumbest single cell organisms in the universe.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #30
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
So, then the answer is yes, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Was in highschool and in my Art class. The teacher rolled in a TV and turned it on to the news. Being honest here.... I had no idea wtf was a "World Trade Center" or the significance of it.

But just the fact planes were flying into buildings, I knew shit hit the fan.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I think I'm glad about not watching it live, though. A family friend was killed in one of the towers and knowing I had watched it live as it happened probably would have been too much.
You reminded me of one of the more interesting tales from that day, from the documentary, Hotel Ground Zero: By way of a last minute change of plans, Ron Clifford was at the Marriott Hotel at Ground Zero and unknowingly watched his sister and his 4yr old niece die onboard flight 175 when it struck the South Tower. Further to that, his daughter's birthday is 9/11 and she was turning 11.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:45 PM   #33
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
I was in middle school(grade 8) and my first class was social studies. The teacher talked about it and even tried to get a TV to broadcast what was happening but the TV didn't work lol so he brought out an old radio from the backroom and tuned it to whatever station was broadcasting it.

I didn't really follow it until afterwards when my friends and I watched the news after school. It was shocking to say the least.
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:57 PM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
First year college. I remember I was about to head out for school as I was running late, turned on TV and saw the second plane crashing in for about 20sec.

I was like "wow... whoever made this movie is so good at special effects"... Then I just ran to school.

It wasn't until I got to school that I realized it wasn't a movie that 10~15sec clips I glimpsed before I came out.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #35
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Damn... I really feel like an old fart now...

I woke up to call a friend in Hong Kong, only to have the friend tell me that shxt is happening in New York. I turned on the TV, only to watch video replays of at least the first plane crashing into the N.Tower. I may or may not have been watching the 2nd plane crashing into the S.Tower live, but I'm pretty sure my stomach churned and felt sick right down to the inside when I watched in horror how the S.Tower collapsed right in front of my eyes. And then it was the N.Tower going down live, again in front of my eyes. The shots of the smoke and dust blowing out down the blocks and chasing citizens down was a sight I'd never forget...

My mind was simply overblown by the events, and while I didn't really know how to comprehend the event, I knew right away that shxt wasn't gonna be the same anymore.

I still went back to the lab even though I was already way late because I was supposed to work. Of course, nobody at the lab was working, and we decided to hit the pub to grab lunch while watching some more TV there. When lunch was finished and we returned to the lab, someone managed to haul an old TV from somewhere, and we proceeded to spend the rest of the day glued to the TV.

The next 2 - 3 days were pretty much the same. I was always just glued to the TV, and to a smaller extent, the Internet for news and such...

Last edited by Traum; 09-09-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #36
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
8 y/o at the time. Woke up at 7 and tried to watch Power Rangers on channel 28 and was pissed off it was cancel. I saw the towers and I didn't think much of it. Wasn't old enough at the time to understand the implications and significance of the event.
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #37

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
grade 6/7 (dont quite remember what grade)

eatting breakfast at the time before going to school, my dad watches CNN every morning back in the day and when i heard my dad yelling/screaming i quickly ran to see what up

my dad thought he was watching a movie, but it was impossible as its CNN and i was thinking wow what happened

went to school and was just listening to the news on the radio all the day long

i remember afterwards stocks plunged, i few of my dads friends lost almost everything and going to commit suicide as they were left with nothing

edit: few years later when i was in HS, teacher ask us to write a paper on someone u look up to/hero

alot of ppl wrote their parents or some superstar or what not, but i wrote about mayor Rudy Giuliani during the 911

he was the mayor of NYC at the time and instead of staying in a safe place directing operations, he went out to the front lines getting himself all dirty, risking his life to save lives

it was something u rarely see and i respect the guy for risking his own life to save others

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...

Last edited by ae101; 09-10-2016 at 09:55 AM.
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #38
Rs has made me the man i am today!

It was a Tuesday morning, I was in grade 9. My dad woke me up and told me to watch CNN as the first tower was hit. I forgot if I watched on tv when the second one striked.

At school, everyone was talking about it; even the teachers. No one really wanted to go to school that day.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #39
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
I was going into work, and yes like Hehe said I thought it was some crazy movie actions special effects. During the day at work (didn't have a TV to watch) with people coming in talking about it, and the special edition news papers that was brought to my store I knew something crazy went down. Got home later on that night and couldn't stop watching the TV. Crazy. And it's amazing how its shaped the world we live in. The day after I went to my aunt's place in Lynden to pick up an exhaust for my car I got shipped too. Me and some friends went, took us 7 hours to get over the Aldergrove border that day. EVERYONE'S car got searched with a fine tooth comb. Drove 5 minutes after the border to my aunts place, picked it up and 5 minutes to get back into Canada. It was all worth it to me for my exhaust. 3.5' full exhaust for my DSM. I was pretty ballin' back then.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #40

I tunes in a couple of hours before I needed to get ready for work. I was glued to the tv the whole time.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #41
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Wow, you guys made me feel so old...
I was in 2nd year college, and I made my way to early first class. No one was around in class, so I wandered to the library to wait for my second class. That was where I saw live the 2nd plane hitting the 2nd tower. That was a sad day. Everyone basically took the rest of the day off.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #42
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i distinctly remembered logging into AOL (dial up) cus my parents were at work (no one else using the phone!) and then seeing the home page full of the events of that day

turned on the TV and was pretty much glued to the news the entire day
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,103 Times in 973 Posts
A Ghostly Look Inside The 9/11 Memorial Museum. This Chilled Me To The Bone.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #44
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
The stairwell and the plane parts are pretty chilling.

Will definitely be dedicating a day to seeing all the 9/11 stuff whenever I get to NY