REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
I don't get it

I-5 Driver Less Section proposed

So first they make one lane to test with then one that will be like the HOV. Then they will make it where you can go faster on a lane thats driverless.
Good plan to weed out those pesky human drivers?
Seattle Tech Vets to Propose Driverless Stretch of Interstate 5 - Bloomberg

If you have nightmares about robots taking over the world, here’s something that might really scare you: some tech industry veterans in Seattle want to ban human drivers from a 150-mile stretch of Interstate 5 and reserve it for self-driving cars, trucks and buses.

The ribbon of highway between Seattle and Vancouver should be used as a testing ground for autonomous vehicles, according to a provocative proposal that says embracing the technology would save lives, ease congestion and be less expensive than a high-speed rail system.

Tom Alberg, co-founder of Madrona Venture Group and a board member of Amazon.com Inc., and Craig Mundie, a former Microsoft Corp. executive, will release the plan Monday at a cross-border innovation conference in Vancouver sponsored by Microsoft. They suggest phasing it in over a decade, starting with allowing self-driving vehicles in car-pool lanes.

In an interview, Alberg said autonomous driving could take “two years, five years or 10 years” to become widespread. “But this is going to happen, and ultimately I’m convinced these will be safer than human drivers. Why not start planning for this now?”

If government leaders on both sides of the border form a team to explore such a plan, they would attract investment from Google, Uber, Ford and General Motors, he said, adding that doing so would put the region at the forefront of innovation and distinguish it from cities like Chicago, where an alderman wants to ban autonomous cars because safety concerns.

Safety has become front-of-mind since a man died in Florida after his Tesla Model S in “autopilot” mode failed to react to a truck crossing the road. Tesla has sought to put the incident in perspective, blogging that it was the first known fatality in more than 130 million miles of driving using its Autopilot features, compared with a death every 94 million miles for all cars.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is expected to soon release guidelines for self-driving vehicles to help states draft their own laws. But even in the absence of rules of the road, automakers and ride-hailing companies are moving quickly to stake out their positions. Uber is running self-driving trials in Pittsburgh, and Google is testing its own technology in California, Arizona, Texas and Washington state.

Start your day with what’s moving markets.
Get our markets daily newsletter.

The Seattle-Vancouver proposal calls for a decade-long plan to first allow self-driving cars and trucks in carpool lanes and ultimately allow only autonomous vehicles on the highway during peak travel periods. Human drivers would be allowed to cruise the stretch between 8 p.m. and 4 a.m. weekdays and on weekends. Self-driving vehicles will move more people and goods on existing infrastructure since they can travel more tightly and at higher speeds with less braking, the report says.

“This proposal is not for the timid as initially it will be highly controversial because of natural skepticism about the likelihood and timing of autonomous vehicles and failure to recognize the benefits,” the reports says. But “widespread and universal adoption of autonomous vehicles is inevitable.”
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE
Advertisement
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
We have this.. its called City of Richmond!
Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,737 Times in 3,863 Posts
Totally down for this. I guarantee a self driving car is better than 99% of the drivers in the gvrd.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
This is nice. Will be great on hwy, esp US interstates since their hwy are usually long stretch of boring.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Seems like we're putting the cart before the horse here just so that some people can brag "we were first" if it works out.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
think I'm for this
whatever helps self-driving cars go mainstream is a step in a right direction...I do believe it'll eventually help cut down motor vehicle accidents (still one of the leading causes of death) and improve congestion...even if it takes another 20-30+ years to sort out the legalities & logistics
it seems more feasible than hyperloop in our lifetime
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote