REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Car Importing (https://www.revscene.net/forums/710456-car-importing.html)

pmallari 09-25-2016 09:10 PM

Car Importing

Kinda a newbie to this but what are the best websites or dealers to go to if i wanted to import a car from japan? :alone:

willieaames 09-26-2016 11:10 PM

SBTJapan.

tegra7 09-27-2016 08:13 AM

What about importing from UK?

Autorice 09-27-2016 02:30 PM

or europe? japan ones all want deposits for auctions. dealerships are easier but inventory is less.

donk. 09-27-2016 06:16 PM

i personally sent a deposit to japan exporter, didnt end up buying a car, got my $$ back.

JordanLee 09-27-2016 09:58 PM

I used Pacific Coast Auto a a few months ago. Just took delivery the other week.

Yes, youll need a deposit to send to him (100k Yen) and he does all the work and ships it out to you. You then have the option of doing the paperwork yourself or paying an importer to do it for you. I did it myself and its pretty straight forward. Keep in mind exporting and importing are two different animals. Derek is great cause his communication is paramount and his fee isnt too bad at all. He basically charges a 100k yen service fee, which covers the auction bidding, translations, HD video and photos when it arrives to him and all the paperwork mailed out to you for importing.

thumper 09-28-2016 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanLee (Post 8791401)
I used Pacific Coast Auto a a few months ago. Just took delivery the other week.

Yes, youll need a deposit to send to him (100k Yen) and he does all the work and ships it out to you. You then have the option of doing the paperwork yourself or paying an importer to do it for you. I did it myself and its pretty straight forward. Keep in mind exporting and importing are two different animals. Derek is great cause his communication is paramount and his fee isnt too bad at all. He basically charges a 100k yen service fee, which covers the auction bidding, translations, HD video and photos when it arrives to him and all the paperwork mailed out to you for importing.

what car did you get?

JordanLee 09-28-2016 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8791444)
what car did you get?

2001 Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 turbo diesel. Waited long and hard to get one with the modern common rail diesel motor. So far mileage has been great haha. 620-650kms on a 65ltr fill up. Nearly 10l/100km, which is crazy for an suv this large. I posted a photo in the whip thread.

yip_yee 09-29-2016 05:49 PM

NICE,
Except Form 1, what else we need??

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanLee (Post 8791401)

vitaminG 09-29-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanLee (Post 8791450)
2001 Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 turbo diesel. Waited long and hard to get one with the modern common rail diesel motor. So far mileage has been great haha. 620-650kms on a 65ltr fill up. Nearly 10l/100km, which is crazy for an suv this large. I posted a photo in the whip thread.

nice, 3rd gen? does it share many parts with lexus gx? i was thinking about getting one myself.

JordanLee 09-30-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yip_yee (Post 8791863)
NICE,
Except Form 1, what else we need??

When it arrives, youll need to get a soil inspection first thing. Fax in the request to get one done and usually within 24-48 hours theyll send it back completed and charge your $48. This is to make sure the car is clean and isn't bringing over some invasive algae bacterial bloom that wipes out our fish.

Once you have that, youll need to fill out form 1 and have CBSA stamp it. It is here where youll pay GST+duty (5%+6.1%) 11.1% total. Theyll need to see the completed soil form, invoice, shipping receipt, and translated export documents.

You then need to have the port clear the vehicle, you need to request access now to be able to even get inside, this can also take 1-24 hours to hear back from them. When they do, theyll set up a time and day to drop by, make sure you pick up an A-B permit the day they approve it so you can legally drive it away.

Then run to an autoplan to register it and plate it. Youll then pay the remaining PST (7%) on the vehicle.

Theres a bunch of guides online I found as well but thats the gist of it when I did it a few weeks ago. I basically got it all done within 3 days. Some people have everything line up and can do it within a day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8791867)
nice, 3rd gen? does it share many parts with lexus gx? i was thinking about getting one myself.

Its actually a 2nd! 96-2000.5 had the 1KZ-TE motor which is pretty bulletproof but also very unrefined and clunky. I opted to find a 01 with the newer 1KD-FTV to get the quieter and more efficient motor (injectors are also WAY more for the KD motor though). Suspension wise the car is a 3rd gen 4Runner (easy to lift). Most parts actually swap over from the 4runner rather than the GX cause GX was considered 3rd gen in Japan as far as a Prado goes.

yip_yee 09-30-2016 02:24 PM

Thank you so much. Really helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanLee (Post 8792044)
When it arrives, youll need to get a soil inspection first thing. Fax in the request to get one done and usually within 24-48 hours theyll send it back completed and charge your $48. This is to make sure the car is clean and isn't bringing over some invasive algae bacterial bloom that wipes out our fish.

Once you have that, youll need to fill out form 1 and have CBSA stamp it. It is here where youll pay GST+duty (5%+6.1%) 11.1% total. Theyll need to see the completed soil form, invoice, shipping receipt, and translated export documents.

You then need to have the port clear the vehicle, you need to request access now to be able to even get inside, this can also take 1-24 hours to hear back from them. When they do, theyll set up a time and day to drop by, make sure you pick up an A-B permit the day they approve it so you can legally drive it away.

Then run to an autoplan to register it and plate it. Youll then pay the remaining PST (7%) on the vehicle.

Theres a bunch of guides online I found as well but thats the gist of it when I did it a few weeks ago. I basically got it all done within 3 days. Some people have everything line up and can do it within a day.

Its actually a 2nd! 96-2000.5 had the 1KZ-TE motor which is pretty bulletproof but also very unrefined and clunky. I opted to find a 01 with the newer 1KD-FTV to get the quieter and more efficient motor (injectors are also WAY more for the KD motor though). Suspension wise the car is a 3rd gen 4Runner (easy to lift). Most parts actually swap over from the 4runner rather than the GX cause GX was considered 3rd gen in Japan as far as a Prado goes.

JSALES 10-27-2016 01:01 PM

Compared to Brave Auto and Pacific Coast Auto, which has more access to the auctions? Pacific Coast you can already search what cars are available as a guest but is there more available if you register as a member?

JordanLee 10-27-2016 01:27 PM

Certain importers will only allow customers to bid from specific auction houses. If say you use B-Pros guest account vs PCA, youll get a lot more stuff from private dealers etc but as PCA warned me, theyre often highly inflated in price and have absurd reserves sometimes. They can bid on them though but they won't show up on the importers default list. Otherwise, whether or not your a guest makes no difference. I made my own account so I could make quick lists which saves you a bunch of time in those dropdown boxes every day.

Curren$y 10-28-2016 08:02 PM

Just buy from Velocity :troll::troll:

Kalize 10-28-2016 11:01 PM

Also interested in importing a car from Europe. Looking for an EP3 left hand drive Civic Type R.

JSALES 01-14-2017 10:06 PM

Bumping this thread

Would it be better if you got the importer to search for the vehicle for you as they may have better vehicle choices that aren't listed on the auction compared to what is listed as available on the auction? From videos I've seen from Brave Auto, he seems pretty knowledgeable of what to be aware of on these vehicles

im G 01-14-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 8816571)
Bumping this thread

Would it be better if you got the importer to search for the vehicle for you as they may have better vehicle choices that aren't listed on the auction compared to what is listed as available on the auction? From videos I've seen from Brave Auto, he seems pretty knowledgeable of what to be aware of on these vehicles

If you're going to use an importer than one of the primary advantages is them searching the vehicle for you, given whatever specific parameter you want.

Judging from Mark's videos I agree he seems awesome and provides more info than any other exporter/importer.