REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-01-2016, 05:03 AM   #1
I don't get it

Jaguar - F-Pace or XE R-Sport

Anyone have experience with either car? I know both are relatively new, but how's the build quality? In fact, any experience with Jag at all?

The styling is really impressing me lately...Love the F-Type.

Advertisement
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I was at a Jaguar event a couple weeks ago and drove both. I wasn't a big fan of the F-Pace in terms of performance; I drove the S. It was fine if you're not looking for race car speed in an SUV and just need something with a little grunt around town. The XE S was great fun. Got to do the smart cone challenge that Jaguar has. That was fun. Car felt pretty planted and had the power I wanted when I wanted it.

Style wise I liked them both. I think Jag is knocking it out of the park in terms of styling these days. I wasn't a big fan of the rear end on the XE, the tail lights aren't that nice; but I'm nit picking here. Interior on both is more or less identical from what I remember. Very minimallistic nothing to in your face about the way they both look inside. The touch screen is crazy responsive on them. When your scrolling through menus or moving around on the map it doesn't get choppy or slow down.

My seat time overall with both was brief. I was there for about 3 hours or so and we also drive the F-Type and did a Land Rover experience thing. So my opinions above aren't based on long term seat time but I would recommend going for a test drive if you're interested. I'm not looking at anything at those price points now but in a year or so I will be and I will be taking a good look at them then for sure.

Side note if your looking to finance the XE. I was talking to a sales guy at Jaguar Langley and he said rates are quite high. Something like 4.9% right now but he said by early to mid next year he expects them them to drop quite a bit. Hope that helps a little.
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Waiting for Roach to reply

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
beatdownvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

both are quite nice from what I have driven at work!

both are without their own problems in both ownership and driving of course. And maintence prices are quite good on both (unless you have the diesel XE... yay diesel services)

Only downside I believe right now is if you would be looking for the XE-R you might be wait listed for it as there is still quite a demand from the presale iirrc from our sales people

PS the plastic cover over the leaper badge is to protect the adaptive CC sensor and unfortunately isnt that stylish =/
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
They are fine as long as you buy new and are under warranty.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatdownvictim View Post
Waiting for Roach to reply
lol.

The F-Pace and XE are excellent cars. I'd argue they are both near class leading in terms of driving dynamics. The new InControl Touch Pro system is very responsive and a huge leap forward for JLR in terms of infotainment.

Also, diesel variants are starting to land for the XE and should be shortly incoming for the F-Pace. I had the opportunity to drive an F-Pace diesel in New Orleans and it was a treat.

As was mentioned, as both vehicles are relatively new, they don't lease so strong yet.

Anyways, if anyone is looking for a JLR product please feel free to visit us in Langley or PM me. And no exporters please.

Kev
Old 10-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
They are fine as long as you buy new and are under warranty.
I know back in the 90s and 00s, but even now? You would think reliability has gotten better over time.

Will get some seat time eventually, but trying to get everyone's personal experience if applicable.

I'm going from an S4 for what it's worth. Audi really fucked me on some warranty issues so I'm done with them.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Yes, even now.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
got to race around in all of them, during a recent Jag event

they're both good, the fpace is great though and i would choose it hands down

although the HUD wasn't working in the Fpace, and they kind of passed it off as not an issue, but they accidentally forgot to turn it on, other than that though great interior, roomy, feels great driving it hard even
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
2-Wheelin' Mod

I recently had the opportunity to spend a day at Jaguar's Castle Bromwich factory reviewing 5 Sigma/LEAN processes. Much of the time was spent on the physical assembly line. Jaguar build's the F-Type at this facility and I have to say that (having spent time in a number of other assembly plants) that I would have no hesitation to purchase a Jaguar product in 2016. My fiancé and I have every intention to purchase an XE in the future.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:13 AM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,342 Times in 3,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
lol.

The F-Pace and XE are excellent cars. I'd argue they are both near class leading in terms of driving dynamics. The new InControl Touch Pro system is very responsive and a huge leap forward for JLR in terms of infotainment.

Also, diesel variants are starting to land for the XE and should be shortly incoming for the F-Pace. I had the opportunity to drive an F-Pace diesel in New Orleans and it was a treat.

As was mentioned, as both vehicles are relatively new, they don't lease so strong yet.

Anyways, if anyone is looking for a JLR product please feel free to visit us in Langley or PM me. And no exporters please.

Kev
I think my dad will be hitting up your dealership this week. Looking for a new SUV.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
meh...just another SUV
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I've read a while back that Jaguar is the most reliable Euro brand at the moment. Or was it luxury brand?

I'm considering the F-Pace or XJ-R for my next car. The lady doesn't really like SUVs so it's probably going to be the XJ. But that's not going to be for another 5 years, just picked up a 5.0 Genesis earlier this year and a lot can change in 5 years. Who knows, Hyundai may make the next Genesis G80 a lot better than it already is and make me choose it over Euro again.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:53 AM   #14
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,187 Times in 2,466 Posts
Seems a bit odd to me that the OP is considering the F-Pace vs the XE R-Sport since they serve some rather different purposes. At a more general level, if you require the space of a bigger vehicle, the F-Pace will serve your purposes better. If you prefer a more car-like experience, then the XE R-Sport would serve you better.

At any rate, the 2 vehicles actually share a lot of common design and parts, so aside from the obvious height and weight differences, they both drive quite similarly. The F-Pace is available in the higher spec 380hp 3.0L V6 SC engine as well as the lower output 340hp version.

IMO, the F-Pace is really one of the best handling SUVs out there in today's market. The suspension tuning is spectacularly sporty, and it is one of the few SUV out in today's market that utilizes a front double wishbone suspension design. From my first hand experience, it definitely handles better than the current X3, X5, X6, GLC, and GLE.

With the XE, I quite like the handling as well, and the engine is certainly no slouch. Unfortunately, my experience with the car (XE) is tainted by the fact that I have driven quite a number of tastefully modified 3- and 4-series (including M cars), A4/S4, so my impression of the BMW / Audi sedans are a little skewed. What I'm saying is, logically, the XE should be at least competitive with the BMW and Audi offerings in terms of performance and handling, but when I to a mental comparison in my head, my impressions of the Bimmer / Audi keeps going back to those sportier models that I remember, and I know that is not a fair comparison.

Styling-wise, I agree with DGN23 that Jaguar is really at the top of their game inside and out. I am a long time VW / Audi fan, so I still have a slight bias towards the Audi's teutonic looks. But again, the Jaguars are very, very nice. Their Taurus leather interior with contrast colours really hits it out of the ball park.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I really like the look of the new F Types, but like another poster mentioned, great to have when new and under warranty but after that, I wouldn't bother.

JD powers quality study:

2016 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) | J.D. Power

Jag is near the bottom.
bokch0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #16
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Seems a bit odd to me that the OP is considering the F-Pace vs the XE R-Sport since they serve some rather different purposes. At a more general level, if you require the space of a bigger vehicle, the F-Pace will serve your purposes better. If you prefer a more car-like experience, then the XE R-Sport would serve you better.

At any rate, the 2 vehicles actually share a lot of common design and parts, so aside from the obvious height and weight differences, they both drive quite similarly. The F-Pace is available in the higher spec 380hp 3.0L V6 SC engine as well as the lower output 340hp version.

IMO, the F-Pace is really one of the best handling SUVs out there in today's market. The suspension tuning is spectacularly sporty, and it is one of the few SUV out in today's market that utilizes a front double wishbone suspension design. From my first hand experience, it definitely handles better than the current X3, X5, X6, GLC, and GLE.

With the XE, I quite like the handling as well, and the engine is certainly no slouch. Unfortunately, my experience with the car (XE) is tainted by the fact that I have driven quite a number of tastefully modified 3- and 4-series (including M cars), A4/S4, so my impression of the BMW / Audi sedans are a little skewed. What I'm saying is, logically, the XE should be at least competitive with the BMW and Audi offerings in terms of performance and handling, but when I to a mental comparison in my head, my impressions of the Bimmer / Audi keeps going back to those sportier models that I remember, and I know that is not a fair comparison.

Styling-wise, I agree with DGN23 that Jaguar is really at the top of their game inside and out. I am a long time VW / Audi fan, so I still have a slight bias towards the Audi's teutonic looks. But again, the Jaguars are very, very nice. Their Taurus leather interior with contrast colours really hits it out of the ball park.
I realize the practicality of an SUV, but like the sportiness of a sport sedan. That said, I am coming from a B8 S4 so that's why I was looking at the XE-R. I do various outdoor activities that require any extra space and could always use the extra room for kids/pets etc. Given that they're both in the same price range, I'm considering them both.

In regards to Audi/BMW, Audi fucked me on a warranty issue so I'm done with them. As far as BMW goes, I just don't like them. MB and BMW are going backwards in regards to their styling.

I appreciate the information. Keep it coming...