REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 10-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Need Help: Wifi router issues when connected via dlink stick/tower

Hey everyone, so I have this extremely weird issue going on. Basically I started up my pc again that I got 7 years ago, it doesn't have built in wifi so I use this old school D-Link wifi stick that I bought around 6 years ago. Whenever I connect to my wifi router, it basically shuts off the wifi on the router and I have to restart the router to get the wifi to turn on again. Sometimes wifi will last a couple of hours, sometimes a couple of minutes, sometimes it instantly disconnects. The wifi stick still lights up and works on my pc, but the lights for the wifi on the router itself turns off until I restart it by pulling the power.

I've tried:
-pulling the power on the router for over 30 seconds before plugging it back in, wifi turns back on every time until my pc connects to it, then the router shuts off the wifi again
-using the wifi stick on my laptop which works perfectly fine
-doing a full scan of the computer with Norton
-doing a full wipe of the computer after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7, issue is prominent on both OS before and after system wipe
-calling tech support at Shaw and they can't figure out the issue
-replaced the router with a new one of the same model from Shaw, same issue

The extremely weird part is that I can connect to another wifi router with no issues on that one (I have 1 downstairs, 1 upstairs, upstairs works fine but downstairs just dies). If I don't connect to the downstairs wifi router with my pc it works with everything else (phones, other computers, laptops, xbox, ps3). It's bugging me like crazy, since I can't be using the upstairs wifi router long term and the signal is also much worse since my pc is downstairs.

Information:
D-Link wifi stick model DWA-130
Not plugged into the USB 3.0 port of my PC
Shaw internet w/ Hitron modem/router 2.4ghz & 5G wifi (my wifi stick doesn't support 5g so I can only connect onto the 2.4ghz network, but once connected the complete wifi signal from the Hitron just shuts off all together)

All help is much appreciated, don't know what to do Our upstairs wifi that I'm using right now is from Telus, but we're cutting that off soon to switch to a combined Shaw plan... but I'm worried that it'll mean that I can't connect to wifi at all with my pc
Advertisement

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Have you tried removing the WiFi security temporary to test out your setup? Many years ago, I had a similar problem. It was caused by a bad WPA security setup, even though the USD wireless adapter supported WPA... I had to change to WEP to make everything happy.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote